Central Transport | Biometric Screenings pending

i think HIPA laws prevent bravo wellness from telling vitran anything about the results.

HIPAA, or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, encompasses numerous protections for employees. One is that a condition can NOT be considered pre-existing if care was not received for that specific condition in the six months prior to enrolling in an insurance plan. So even if they tested for substances and conditions other than nicotene, they legally could not use the information against you under HIPAA. HIPAA also prohibits discrimination against an employee or dependent family members if a prior medical condition or genetic disposition to a condition is discovered. Regarding genetic information; under HIPAA, if it is found that an employee has a gene that puts them at higher risk for ALS, breast cancer, or any other condition, that information CANNOT be used against them at any time if there has been no diagnosis of the disease.

Aside from all that, I believe - and you would really need to speak to an attorney familiar with your particular state - that they can ONLY test for what is specified and agreed upon by both the employer and the employee. If they test for other substances or genetic conditions, and you did not agree to it, you would likely have a case against them and/or the company (if the company requested the testing and it could be proven). Now asking employees to participate in the testing IS legal, because they are not basing the $5 deductions on test results, only on participation. Should they come back and say that someone is not eligible to receive the $5 discount because they have LDL cholesterol over a certain threshold, they WOULD be in violation of the law under HIPAA. Smoking is different; under HIPAA, the wellness program must promote good health or prevent disease (not sure if it does since we cancelled our coverage), they must accommodate those who have a harder time quitting (such as a discount if the employee or dependent tries patches or enrolls in educational classes), and the materials that describe the wellness program must disclose the availability of reasonable alternative standard to qualify for the lower premium.

HIPAA, or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, encompasses numerous protections for employees. One is that a condition can NOT be considered pre-existing if care was not received for that specific condition in the six months prior to enrolling in an insurance plan. So even if they tested for substances and conditions other than nicotene, they legally could not use the information against you under HIPAA. HIPAA also prohibits discrimination against an employee or dependent family members if a prior medical condition or genetic disposition to a condition is discovered. Regarding genetic information; under HIPAA, if it is found that an employee has a gene that puts them at higher risk for ALS, breast cancer, or any other condition, that information CANNOT be used against them at any time if there has been no diagnosis of the disease.

Aside from all that, I believe - and you would really need to speak to an attorney familiar with your particular state - that they can ONLY test for what is specified and agreed upon by both the employer and the employee. If they test for other substances or genetic conditions, and you did not agree to it, you would likely have a case against them and/or the company (if the company requested the testing and it could be proven). Now asking employees to participate in the testing IS legal, because they are not basing the $5 deductions on test results, only on participation. Should they come back and say that someone is not eligible to receive the $5 discount because they have LDL cholesterol over a certain threshold, they WOULD be in violation of the law under HIPAA. Smoking is different; under HIPAA, the wellness program must promote good health or prevent disease (not sure if it does since we cancelled our coverage), they must accommodate those who have a harder time quitting (such as a discount if the employee or dependent tries patches or enrolls in educational classes), and the materials that describe the wellness program must disclose the availability of reasonable alternative standard to qualify for the lower premium.
So as long as you participate you should get the 5 dollar credit...Even if my BMI is out of range....or anything else for that matter.

then i will also do it, that is what held me up, the BMI says i am obese, yes i have a bit of a belly but had it since 6th grade,,,,, but, i can also squat a garden tractor and bench press a small car (so to speak:1036316054: but they do not look at it that way, just the numbers)

get your boots on :Emoticon_digging: it's getting deep here

Dang Lisa!!! I think I'm in love!!!

then i will also do it, that is what held me up, the BMI says i am obese, yes i have a bit of a belly but had it since 6th grade,,,,, but, i can also squat a garden tractor and bench press a small car (so to speak:1036316054: but they do not look at it that way, just the numbers)

get your boots on :Emoticon_digging: it's getting deep here
Tomorrow is the last day for registration on Bravo Wellness...Better get after it......$$$.bravowell.com/vitran

So as long as you participate you should get the 5 dollar credit...Even if my BMI is out of range....or anything else for that matter.

That is my understanding. Now keep in mind that my knowledge is limited to what my instructors have discussed (I'm a pre-Nursing student), as well as what I have found online (direct from the HIPAA site, if that helps). But yes, you should get the $5 credit simply for participating, IF Vitran follows the letter of the law. (Which might be a bit of a stretch.)

That is my understanding. Now keep in mind that my knowledge is limited to what my instructors have discussed (I'm a pre-Nursing student), as well as what I have found online (direct from the HIPAA site, if that helps). But yes, you should get the $5 credit simply for participating, IF Vitran follows the letter of the law. (Which might be a bit of a stretch.)
Thank you we always appreciate good information.

the $5 smoking is easy for me to pass, so what the heck, go for another $5 and let them tell me i swallow to much stress (and beer and pizza and steak and pork chops and pasta,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,)

Took all my testing 4-6 weeks ago and I still have not seen my discounts appear on my pay stub. Oh, wait...let me check my employee handbook...

Took all my testing 4-6 weeks ago and I still have not seen my discounts appear on my pay stub. Oh, wait...let me check my employee handbook...
Its not our fault this wasn't done in a timely manner, so the 10 weeks that have passed since open enrollment should be credited 10 dollars on our checks and as of today thats 100 dollars they owe us. Do you think they will do the right thing and credit us that 10 dollars for each week. I feel a screwing coming on.

If you go to the Incenisoft website where you registered, your results will be there. In the initial ppwrk that we got I think it said the 10.00 bucks would be retro-active to the 1st of the year, if you passed both objectives. Plus, these results just came out and then there is the 2 weeks hold back on our checks.

If you go to the Incenisoft website where you registered, your results will be there. In the initial ppwrk that we got I think it said the 10.00 bucks would be retro-active to the 1st of the year, if you passed both objectives. Plus, these results just came out and then there is the 2 weeks hold back on our checks.
Ok I will expect my 120 on March 22nd paycheck or 130 on the 29th.....Thx

Its not our fault this wasn't done in a timely manner, so the 10 weeks that have passed since open enrollment should be credited 10 dollars on our checks and as of today thats 100 dollars they owe us. Do you think they will do the right thing and credit us that 10 dollars for each week. I feel a screwing coming on.
DON't forget it will get taxed....:confused: