Holland | Black Friday Is Coming!!!!!

There's the good news Benny!:1036316054:

I hope we all get buried so we can complain about working too hard again!:1036316054:

I think the expediting thing is working.:1036316054:

The wave is history in IN starting next week.
I heard somewhere here on this board that ME did it and also got rid of it.

The 3 road men and the 4 city men are all back from lay off. We are covered up and I hope it stays this busy for a long, long time. They are saying that we are starting a major account around the 1st. :1036316054:

I was talking to a DHL driver , he said that the contract for the trucking co. that delivers there freight (terminal to terminal) will be up at the end of the year, and are looking for a company to take over. I wonder if that could be it?????

The wave is history in IN starting next week.
I heard somewhere here on this board that ME did it and also got rid of it.

We are still doing it in Lo. The new bid hasn't changed anything for us.

The new major account I was talking about is a local account for us shipping nationwide.

I didn't know LO was doing it too. Here they actually got a committee together made up of drivers and dockmen to give suggestions on the new bids. Now there are very few combination bids and those that are are dock/area or dock/customer. They usually hang the bids for a week then bid for a week then maybe even have a week before the new bids start. Now it's 3 days of bidding starting today and the new bids start Monday.
I haven't heard any complaining, the current bids aren't working.

I didn't know LO was doing it too. Here they actually got a committee together made up of drivers and dockmen to give suggestions on the new bids. Now there are very few combination bids and those that are are dock/area or dock/customer. They usually hang the bids for a week then bid for a week then maybe even have a week before the new bids start. Now it's 3 days of bidding starting today and the new bids start Monday.
I haven't heard any complaining, the current bids aren't working.

The problem with the bids here is that they want to work people 12-14 hours a day and by Thursday and Friday people run out of hours to drive. They leave on Friday on 8 hours since thats all they have left on their 60 for the week so they can drive Monday. Then the dock doesn't shut down until 2AM or 3AM. They won't hire anybody and when they do (casuals), they work them 1 or 2 days a week and then maybe not work them at all for a week or more. How could they think that they could keep someone hanging around just waiting for them to call. People find other jobs paying less an hour but working regular hours each week. I don't understand what they are trying to do but I don't have too. The sad part is I don't think they understand what they are trying to do either! Things will change after April 1st, 2007.

RUMOR: I was told that Friday is going to be bad for people with little time at Holland. Many, many line haul bids were going away and some city too. I hope everybody can tell me how wrong my info was next week.

I HEAR THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE THAT DHL IS BUYING THE BIG THREE HOLLAND ROADWAY AND YELLOW

I HEAR THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE THAT DHL IS BUYING THE BIG THREE HOLLAND ROADWAY AND YELLOW

Welcome to the boards Happy camper!!!
That story is as old as the grape vine; it has been around for some time. DHL is always buying someone or something around here!!!
:smilie_132:

The problem with the bids here is that they want to work people 12-14 hours a day and by Thursday and Friday people run out of hours to drive. They leave on Friday on 8 hours since thats all they have left on their 60 for the week so they can drive Monday. The sad part is I don't think they understand what they are trying to do either! Things will change after April 1st, 2007.

Benny, April 1 has already come and gone, so I'm not sure what that means, but I'll tell you how we do it out west. Unfortunately, we work where the corp HQ is, better known as the crystal palace:hysterical: The palace has a set bph(bills per hour), that a driver should do. Last time I checked it was around 2.8:hysterical: They see how many bills they have to deliver that day, and tell dispatch they can only use a certain amount of drivers. Since they stopped caring about the amount of undelivered freight, so did I. I have seen more customers go elsewhere than I ever thought possible. The only thing I worry about now is if my retirement time clock can beat their USF destruction time clock. Currently they are winning.

I have heard the stories from back east and it feels like we are the next "Preston" on their agenda.:chairshot:

Benny, April 1 has already come and gone, so I'm not sure what that means, but I'll tell you how we do it out west. Unfortunately, we work where the corp HQ is, better known as the crystal palace:hysterical: The palace has a set bph(bills per hour), that a driver should do. Last time I checked it was around 2.8:hysterical: They see how many bills they have to deliver that day, and tell dispatch they can only use a certain amount of drivers. Since they stopped caring about the amount of undelivered freight, so did I. I have seen more customers go elsewhere than I ever thought possible. The only thing I worry about now is if my retirement time clock can beat their USF destruction time clock. Currently they are winning.

I have heard the stories from back east and it feels like we are the next "Preston" on their agenda.:chairshot:

If you read Benny's post a little closer you will see that it is April 1 of 07. This is the time that our contract expires.:smilie_132:

Thanks Stimpy, that's what I was meaning, that after the contract is settled things will get back to normal. The companies will start making record profit's again like they did the first four years of the current contract. But I guess I should have just said after "April 1st, 2008".

I stand corrected :poster_oops: , sorry for the mistake :bowdown: , sniff-sniff , I'm sorry wah-wah, I can't help that I'm just an ignorant trucker :TR10driving03: or that I can't spel, reed or rite very much well either, lol.

Wow for some reason I thought you were right on the year, this year flew by. Apparently I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer either.

i work for holland in al a former red star worker and i just want to let you guys know how bad you have it here as far as seinority rights are concerned; we do not have destination bids as we had at red star in al they take anyone off the dock in any random order as far as i am concerned they might as well spin a wheel or maybe just throw a dart when determining what order a man leaves the dock.they will work a juinor man 60 hours over asenior man who will only get 40 hours just because he does not work his a** off ! Itis a shame our union has come down to giving all our rights away,:hide: :hide: :hide:

Easymoney1 - The company only does what you let them get away with and you and your fellow employees are the union which you say is giving away the farm. At other holland barns the city men have destination bids and some don't. These things need to be negotiated at the various barns with the company and the union (men). The company will sit down and talk but don't expect for them to just offer something out of the kindness of their heart.If i remember AL was a former RS term and the rules should have remained per local agreement.