Holland | Black Friday Is Coming!!!!!

The three that they took from the road and put in the city went back to the road Wednesday. Who knows for how long though? We have slowed up some, but everyone is still working.

They did the same thing to our laid off line-haul men too. They told them it was because of the end of month shipments and would only be for a few days. I guess it was since they laid off another one Friday.

if the laid-off drivers would NOT go back and "help out" that would force holland to actually recall some laid-off people. they called me and i told them to recall me but i didn't want to work "a few days"

How do you refuse to go back to work and then expect to keep your job?
I'm not saying it's right but what choice do you have.
They got four or five in the city here in IN, depending on who you talk to. I haven't heard if they got any more in linehaul

i did NOT refuse to go back to work i refused part time help me out work.. ill go back when they RECALL me to work not 2 or 3 days just to "help OUT" they can not fire or hold refuseing to "help out" against you i would only lose my job if i did not return to work when i get a RECALL to work

i know he did and i don't blame him. this is the only place {nmfa} i know that you can be laid-off {not called back] and still work. its just another way the company can have a list of casuals for the road. i think its screwy but its the system we've got

i know he did and i don't blame him. this is the only place {nmfa} i know that you can be laid-off {not called back] and still work. its just another way the company can have a list of casuals for the road. i think its screwy but its the system we've got
I don't want to take this thread off topic but can some explain to me how a man that is still on layoff can be called back to work to help out? I don't think that it is in the NMFA, it must be something in your supplement. We do not have that in our NY?NJ area supplement.

I am not trying to brag or rub it in but I am only on the list 3 years & have not lost 1 days work at ABF. In fact they are so hard up for qualified drivers that they have a retiree working the maximum 8 days a month that the local union allows.... Most of us city drivers/dockmen are running out of hours on friday afternoons & they are in the process of hiring 5 men. They may have to hire dock only if they can't find drivers that can pass ABF's ridicululous screening process.

I only bring this up because I am trying to understand how your 10% rule works & if we are better off without it here in NJ. I am sure that it must have its advantages or else it wouldn't be in your supplement.

Again I want to say that I am not trying to offend anyone that is unlucky enought to not be working everyday. LTL is slow in our area & some of the other jobs are walking drivers, i guess that we are just lucky.

being on layoff only means they may not have work every day . men book off take vacations ect gives flexabilty of use of layoff men . layoff does not mean you wont work

2631.If I understand this 10% thing.Maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong.If you have 100 men on the seniority list ,90 will have some kind of bid leaving the last 10 to be 10%er's.In our supplement we have shapers which would be the equal of 10% er's..:funky:if I am correct:hide: if I am wrong:chairshot:

How do you refuse to go back to work and then expect to keep your job?
I'm not saying it's right but what choice do you have.
They got four or five in the city here in IN, depending on who you talk to. I haven't heard if they got any more in linehaul

you do not have to return for temp. work but you have to come back within 10 business days when the company issues you a call back letter / or call

Ok guys, heres my definition of the question.
If you are laid off and choose to "be available" for any work and they use you two days or more Sun thru Sat then you have your insurance paid for that week. A ten per-center is one in every ten men that aren't on a set start time and if they aren't needed then they will sit at home that day. Even if a ten per-center doesn't work a day, Sun thur Sat, their insurance is still paid for that week. So in the end, if you need insurance and they work you two days or more then its better for you to work, in the short term, than only draw unemployment. In the long term if nobody would work then they would have to call the top men on layoff back sooner to cut down on overtime. Its to the senior mens advantage if everybody picks "not available" and its to the junior mens advantage to pick "available". Thats just the way it is.

P.S.: You may all so pick what you are "available" for, line-haul, city driver or city dock. You may pick any combination or all three, your choice. Its just a numbers thing for lean times to make it seem that we are using less "full-time" men and have people laid off even though they are working.

5% of what??????????????????

They got eight (8) city and one (1) more line-haul (total of five line-haul) in LO Friday. They told us it was 5% system wide? Anyone else loose any people or was it just us again?
I'd like to know how they claim it is 5% system wide when WB has lost 3 of 8(of the orginal 13 linehaul) in the past 4 weeks? Harrisburg has lost NONONE yet. I guess they make their decisions on who are the YES men( or do all they ask):butt kiss: :hide: .

Ok guys, heres my definition of the question.
If you are laid off and choose to "be available" for any work and they use you two days or more Sun thru Sat then you have your insurance paid for that week. A ten per-center is one in every ten men that aren't on a set start time and if they aren't needed then they will sit at home that day. Even if a ten per-center doesn't work a day, Sun thur Sat, their insurance is still paid for that week. So in the end, if you need insurance and they work you two days or more then its better for you to work, in the short term, than only draw unemployment. In the long term if nobody would work then they would have to call the top men on layoff back sooner to cut down on overtime. Its to the senior mens advantage if everybody picks "not available" and its to the junior mens advantage to pick "available". Thats just the way it is.

P.S.: You may all so pick what you are "available" for, line-haul, city driver or city dock. You may pick any combination or all three, your choice. Its just a numbers thing for lean times to make it seem that we are using less "full-time" men and have people laid off even though they are working.

i understand perfectly how the system works i just don't agree with it. i don't undestand how it can be an advantage to a jr. man to be avaiable unless he wants to wait by the phone day after day and hope for a call.i was laid off 4 weeks in aug. got called back worked 3 weeks and laid off again, iin all that time i have gotten ONE call for extra work advantage me or holland?

i don't undestand how it can be an advantage to a jr. man to be avaiable

The junior men wouldn't get to work at all if all of the more senior men choose to work extra while they're laid off. The senior men want call back letters and will pass to help get them but the junior men will work extra since they know they won't get called back until April no matter what happens. Basically most of the newer men care about themselves and no one else. Just the way it is any more :shrug:. It doesn't make sense to me either?

I'd like to know how they claim it is 5% system wide when WB has lost 3 of 8(of the orginal 13 linehaul) in the past 4 weeks? Harrisburg has lost NONONE yet. I guess they make their decisions on who are the YES men( or do all they ask):butt kiss: :hide: .

I don't know that its exactly five percent at every terminal. When they say five percent system wide maybe they mean on an average. 5% should have worked out to 5.5 men for us but they took 8 men (7.5%) here. Some terminals don't loose any and some loose to many. Who knows, maybe this is YRCW starting to cut that 100 million dollars already. Poor little YRCW, they only have six months to get it done.

that would be a brown nosing terminal:butt kiss: As for the temporary call backs for linehaul I would hope Central would forget my phone #. This company has already made me enough money being laid off and working in the city, all I gotta say is I love grievance forms and cant wait to fill out more, always willing and waiting........

Well we don't :butt kiss: don't have to. More work in HA then we can handle. Need more linehaul but can't hire till other Terms pull there weight and call back drivers.:hysterical:

Well we don't :butt kiss: don't have to. More work in HA then we can handle. Need more linehaul but can't hire till other Terms pull there weight and call back drivers.:hysterical:

In AL there shouldnt be any layoffs, more outbound then inbound and not enough drivers to run the freight out of there. :chairshot:

5% don't add up in GB try 30%. Got 2 more last Fri. that makes 9 of 27 line haul drivers laid off drivers from everywhere coming in to pick up loads and dropping off empties. Alot of 75% and 80% workng while 100% are working the dock on lay off status. But it could be worse.