New Penn | bleeding (lost accounts) freight

road hog

TB Lurker
Credits
Last monthe we lost ES3 account. They went to New Century cheaper rates I heard. Now today we lost Hanover Lantern. They were bought out and the new owner has a contract with NEMF. Anybody else lost an account lately. ES3 was nice because it was skid freight no touch on our end. For those of you it was the Lipton, Helmans mayo Chef boy ardee ravioloi account.:smilie_132:

well road drivers wont have to be expecting a call on way home with empty if that is so. from balt. if you didnt know. was pain in the butt, but hate to see us loseing accounts.like roadhog asked, are we loseing alot of other accounts lately? mostly road drivers on here, good to see city telling there side also. and dock. with almost 150 men at #03 now , pass the word around about trucking boards, and get alot more input about whats going on.

here's what i've been through with some accounts in my area : more than several of our customers have told me that the reason that we're not seeing the same amount of frt. from them as in the past is because of the DEEP discounting from other co.'s such as NEMF & UPSF. they said our sales people refuse to budge from their prices. you know what, in a way i applaud them. we have some garbage frt. that aint worth a damn yet we keep hauling it. f*ck that, give that garbage to someone else.

Half of all bills at Buffalo/20 IB or OB are now Holland or interline company. Where did all of New Penn's freight go?!?
Do they REALLY want to get any new accounts?

thats cause all holland interline freight goes to your terminal to be loaded and sent to holland and also comes in to your terminal, to be despered to the rest of system. should have given you more work actually, than what you had before we started with mid-west freight in states that werent covered before.it's not like you produced alot of bills per night outbound , before you got the holland interline addition

Hey UnionTrucka I work in the city running a daily route for UPS Freight.
Most of my regular customers say my companys rates are to high.
They go by customer routings from their customers at the destination points.
If they aren't told how the customer wants it shipped.
Then they use Fedex because their rates are lower than the rest of the LTL companies.

I've been driving in the city now in my 44th year,and the pricing of freight is something I can never figure out?
Why customers use who they want,and why?

Sometimes its because of damage,even if you've got the lowest rates if you can't get it there in good condition your not worth using.
But I know that NewPenn is good about having low claims.
simply because you haul your freight in long vans.
The pup trailers we use bounce all over the place,being short,and having the axel on the tail.
So if your seeing acounts go away I doubt that its because of damaged goods?

Hey UnionTrucka I work in the city running a daily route for UPS Freight.
Most of my regular customers say my companys rates are to high.
They go by customer routings from their customers at the destination points.
If they aren't told how the customer wants it shipped.
Then they use Fedex because their rates are lower than the rest of the LTL companies.

I've been driving in the city now in my 44th year,and the pricing of freight is something I can never figure out?
Why customers use who they want,and why?

Sometimes its because of damage,even if you've got the lowest rates if you can't get it there in good condition your not worth using.
But I know that NewPenn is good about having low claims.
simply because you haul your freight in long vans.
The pup trailers we use bounce all over the place,being short,and having the axel on the tail.
So if your seeing acounts go away I doubt that its because of damaged goods?

Hey Apo, I know your resume well and i tell you, God Bless ! I hope to get to where your at.

As for the account situation, several of my regular customers tell me that it's either UPSF or NEMF coming at a lower price. Maybe this has to do with the metro area being very competitive for us all. As far as I know, our sales people (whoever they are) don't seem to budge too much with certain customers. I'm pretty sure we aint losing frt. because of damages. I think one of our problems when it comes to slow frt. has to do with having "regional" sales people. Im not too knowledgable when it comes to this area but I hate when customers ask me if I know their salesman ! I would think not having a more personal relationship with these people is gonna hurt your business just a little bit.

I have a daily pickup on my route and I was told that the boss wanted to see me. He told me that he would love to give us all his business but he can't due to the fact that NP raised his rates. Mind you, this customer has been doing business with us for over 25 years. I asked what was his conversation like with the "regional" sales rep. He said it wasn't too nice and when he notified the rep that he's gonna lose some of the regular pickups, the rep replied "so be it". :chairshot:

Hey Apo, I know your resume well and i tell you, God Bless ! I hope to get to where your at.

As for the account situation, several of my regular customers tell me that it's either UPSF or NEMF coming at a lower price. Maybe this has to do with the metro area being very competitive for us all. As far as I know, our sales people (whoever they are) don't seem to budge too much with certain customers. I'm pretty sure we aint losing frt. because of damages. I think one of our problems when it comes to slow frt. has to do with having "regional" sales people. Im not too knowledgable when it comes to this area but I hate when customers ask me if I know their salesman ! I would think not having a more personal relationship with these people is gonna hurt your business just a little bit.

I have a daily pickup on my route and I was told that the boss wanted to see me. He told me that he would love to give us all his business but he can't due to the fact that NP raised his rates. Mind you, this customer has been doing business with us for over 25 years. I asked what was his conversation like with the "regional" sales rep. He said it wasn't too nice and when he notified the rep that he's gonna lose some of the regular pickups, the rep replied "so be it". :chairshot:

You know I can't help but to look back at the time when New Penn and all the drivers would brag about their low or in the 80's.
Nobody could touch them. The drivers had a right to be very proud it also being a union company.
But with the changing times and all that is going on with the mergers. Now look what is happening to that well run company.
It just makes me think that none of us can feel all snug thinking our company will always be there. All it takes is a shift here and there and a once well run company is run in the ground. When are we as a trucking family and we are all related going to really start sticking together. I don't think it's just UPS, against FedEx or YRCW. We all better start pulling together as a whole.

P.S. Mexico drivers are coming....

Thats what regulated freight rates were back in the day.
Before our loving government steped into the trucking industry to deregulate it.

Once opon a time before 1980 every LTL company had the same freight rates.
Each company owned the rights to haul over different shipping lanes.
If you wanted to haul your stuff down the same roads you had to pay the company that owned the highway use rights.
I think around 90 to 95% of all the LTL trucking companies were Teaamster companies?

We had a long walk out while barganing for a better contract in the late 70's.
Back then when the Teamster truckers were on strike,the whole country started shutting down.

Not to much was moving by trucks in or out of amercan businesses.
The government told all the companies to give the Teamsters what they wanted.
To get Americas commerce moving again.

We really got a good contract at that time.

But then the goverment said no industry would ever be allowed to shut the country down again like the Teamsters did.
The wheels of deregulation of all freight rates were set in motion.
The Teamsters fought very hard against this idea.
Saying that deregulation would wreak the whole trucking industry.

The government always has it their way,regardless of what anyone thinks.

The industry was deregulated.
Then anyone with a truck could run where they wanted.
All the LTL companies lost their road rights.

The big three companies at that point in time Roadway was the biggest,than cme Consolidated Freightways,than Yellow.
They started cutting the rates.

Discounting which in time has come back to bite everyone who started this practise.

Well the smaller companies couldn't compete in the idustry with discounted rates.
One by one they started closing their doors.

Till here we are now 27 years later theres only a handful of union LTL's remaining in business.

Everyone that hauls LTL now are trying to beat the rates of each other,and God only knows what this trucking industry is going to be like in just a few more years?

Thats what regulated freight rates were back in the day.
Before our loving government steped into the trucking industry to deregulate it.

Once opon a time before 1980 every LTL company had the same freight rates.
Each company owned the rights to haul over different shipping lanes.
If you wanted to haul your stuff down the same roads you had to pay the company that owned the highway use rights.
I think around 90 to 95% of all the LTL trucking companies were Teaamster companies?

We had a long walk out while barganing for a better contract in the late 70's.
Back then when the Teamster truckers were on strike,the whole country started shutting down.

Not to much was moving by trucks in or out of amercan businesses.
The government told all the companies to give the Teamsters what they wanted.
To get Americas commerce moving again.

We really got a good contract at that time.

But then the goverment said no industry would ever be allowed to shut the country down again like the Teamsters did.
The wheels of deregulation of all freight rates were set in motion.
The Teamsters fought very hard against this idea.
Saying that deregulation would wreak the whole trucking industry.

The government always has it their way,regardless of what anyone thinks.

The industry was deregulated.
Then anyone with a truck could run where they wanted.
All the LTL companies lost their road rights.

The big three companies at that point in time Roadway was the biggest,than cme Consolidated Freightways,than Yellow.
They started cutting the rates.

Discounting which in time has come back to bite everyone who started this practise.

Well the smaller companies couldn't compete in the idustry with discounted rates.
One by one they started closing their doors.

Till here we are now 27 years later theres only a handful of union LTL's remaining in business.

Everyone that hauls LTL now are trying to beat the rates of each other,and God only knows what this trucking industry is going to be like in just a few more years?

Excellent history of what happened to the LTL industry. :1036316054:

Thanks Apostolic

You know I can't help but to look back at the time when New Penn and all the drivers would brag about their low or in the 80's.
Nobody could touch them. The drivers had a right to be very proud it also being a union company.
But with the changing times and all that is going on with the mergers. Now look what is happening to that well run company.
It just makes me think that none of us can feel all snug thinking our company will always be there. All it takes is a shift here and there and a once well run company is run in the ground. When are we as a trucking family and we are all related going to really start sticking together. I don't think it's just UPS, against FedEx or YRCW. We all better start pulling together as a whole.

P.S. Mexico drivers are coming....

New penn is still in the low 80's and they want to keep it there.That is why they wont haul it for nothing.And Skeeter,I am glad to see I can finally agree with you :1036316054: we all have to stick together or trucking as we have it now will be completly changed..I would also be happy if you guys UPSF entered into the Master freight.Remember The more of us that are together ,the stronger we will be:1036316054:

Yes Apostolic has it right. If you change the names his post could be about the airline industry

Just about the same thing happened when the government deregulated the airlines. Eastern, PanAm, TWA, Northeast, National, Piedmont, Braniff etc etc etc. They all had their lucrative lanes & airfares were reasonable. You could fly just about anywhere for a good price

But after deregulation, they lost their profitible lanes. Anyone could fly anywhere they wanted... The "low cost no frills" start up airlines like Peoples Express, Airtrans, ValueJet etc helped put most of the big guys out of business.

Now look at what we have, the few remaining U.S. carriers are operating in the red.... Sure you can get great fares to the popular destinations, but try to fly to anywhere else & see what it will cost.

Deregulation hurt the airlines the same as it hurt trucking.

I totally agree with you crazy.
UPS Freight is just that a freight company,just like Yellow,or another union LTL freight hauler except for New England Motor Freight thats union,but they are on their own with a none trucking union.
Well when the idea of organizing was approved by UPS's CEO,and the first Teamster locals held their informational meetings.
This was the very first topic that I raised.
I was told in no way were we going to have any part in the NMFA.
Well I started pressing the issue,and could see our local V..P was getting upset with me pushing him,when he told me no.

Over these last months of our own UPS Freight custom contract talks.
The only reason I can figure for us not being allowed to sign on the NMFA.
Is the fact we were offered a two for one pension deal to give us all an incentive to come on board with the Teamsters.
Well here it is in my opinion.
We have a lot of older workers,working for us.
If we came into the NMFA,all we'd have to do is work 5 more years for vestment,then we'd be able to get 10 years for the 5 we worked.
This could be a real drain on the Teamsters pension funds the way they are now.

Now this is just my opinion being and old Teamster member,and looking at how much this offer would cost.

Also this is my opinion if they just dropped the two for one deal,we could already be Teamsters in the NMFA standing together with good numbers,barganing for the next contract next year.

But the way things are going with this outside contract.
Who knows what our contract,or the National Master Freight Agreement will end up being?

I also feel that Overnite could of been organized a long time ago if the Teamsters had taken our CEO Leo S. up on a winner take all vote back in 1999,just after the strike action got going.

Who knows,I guess I've been in this industry to long?
I either know to much,or I'm totally clueless?

Our OR is tough to track

YRCW only posts our numbers in an aggregate form as part of the Regional network. We have to rely on asking a TM how we are doing. I've heard mid to upper 80's for the most part, but low around 83 last quarter of '06.

YRCW only posts our numbers in an aggregate form as part of the Regional network. We have to rely on asking a TM how we are doing. I've heard mid to upper 80's for the most part, but low around 83 last quarter of '06.

which to me sucks. how do we know if the TM even knows what he's talking about.

talked to city guy last night and he said upsf, was low balling every body in our area just to get freight, things have gotten so slow. he also said what is keeping npme in the game, is our service and makeing the next day still happen.he said most customers tell him nobody can make service on next day stuff, so they are back to the big discount game just to get freight and keep it. he said lot of customers want npme but right now have to go with the cheap seats. but like the past, will eventually come back to npme if they want there freight and want it damage free.this might sound corney to some on here, but now is time -since freight is slow for most ltl's- to pick it up a notch and show these other ltl's why were the best and always will be.

talked to city guy last night and he said upsf, was low balling every body in our area just to get freight, things have gotten so slow. he also said what is keeping npme in the game, is our service and makeing the next day still happen.he said most customers tell him nobody can make service on next day stuff, so they are back to the big discount game just to get freight and keep it. he said lot of customers want npme but right now have to go with the cheap seats. but like the past, will eventually come back to npme if they want there freight and want it damage free.this might sound corney to some on here, but now is time -since freight is slow for most ltl's- to pick it up a notch and show these other ltl's why were the best and always will be.

Amen brother. gotta stay mean & green :1036316054:

As of June 11th Baltimore is losing Mack Truck out of Elkridge, Md. Lost it to NEMF as they undercut NPME's rates. Decision came from high up in Mack's corporate offices. This is a big one for Baltimore, at least four if not more loads a day of misc. NEMF has also grabbed some more of Baltimore's good accounts, such as National Paper and Easco Elevator so I hear. Also heard that Cinnaminsion, N.J. has lost the Honda acount.

As of June 11th Baltimore is losing Mack Truck out of Elkridge, Md. Lost it to NEMF as they undercut NPME's rates. Decision came from high up in Mack's corporate offices. This is a big one for Baltimore, at least four if not more loads a day of misc. NEMF has also grabbed some more of Baltimore's good accounts, such as National Paper and Easco Elevator so I hear. Also heard that Cinnaminsion, N.J. has lost the Honda acount.

doesn't surprise me one bit. that is NEMF's reputation. their management team are whores. they remind me of G.O.D when it comes to just having business on their trucks but not necessarily making money on it.