XPO | BONUS

guitarman1

TB Lurker
Credits
At our Terminal we are doing great at everything except tonnage. Motor moves are great, time at customers great,OR is 85.6. We are 30,000 Dollars over plan! But we are barely over 90% for our Bonus. Why should we be punished for tonnage something controlled by our sales personal as well as company upper management. If we start taking some of the less profitable freight, make a little less profit, keep people busy and show our customers that we are their for them... Just the thoughts of a Dumb Trucker that cares about our new company...

At our Terminal we are doing great at everything except tonnage. Motor moves are great, time at customers great,OR is 85.6. We are 30,000 Dollars over plan! But we are barely over 90% for our Bonus. Why should we be punished for tonnage something controlled by our sales personal as well as company upper management. If we start taking some of the less profitable freight, make a little less profit, keep people busy and show our customers that we are their for them... Just the thoughts of a Dumb Trucker that cares about our new company...
WoW

OMG!!!! Did they bring out the koolaid again

Our tm showed us a chart. According to it if your profit was good enough you could still barely be making tonnage and get extra bonus. It favored profit ALOT.

It's so they can make record breaking revenue and still be able to say "sorry.....no bonus this year."

It's not profit it's ebida and tonnage. At my SC tonnage it's easy for us due to agriculture and we're gaining in ebida but you must have minimum of both to get anything. Can't wait to see how close we get but not qualify.

Obviously when I said profit EBITDA is what I meant lol. we're currently qualifying between 120 and 130 percent

We won't pull freight that's not profitable. Plain and simple. I get where your going though, and everyone should look at the p&l for your barn.

At my barn we are doing great on EBITDA. But our tonnage is down. So if we aren't making our tonnage now we certainly aren't going to hit our goal in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. It's just another carrot being dangled in front of us that we will never get! What does tonnage have to do with anything. So if you are at a service center where your biggest customer is bubble wrap and you pull 20 trailers out of there a day you won't be doing as good as the one with a paper mill in town. Even though the bubble wrap is a higher class than the paper. The whole bonus is a bunch of crap!

We won't pull freight that's not profitable. Plain and simple. I get where your going though, and everyone should look at the p&l for your barn.
Where is everyone getting this idea? I've talked to class 1 terminal managers, a District Operations Manager, hell I've even talked to a regional VP of sales and everyone keeps saying the same thing... Tonnage growth at all costs. I have not heard anything about profitable freight. Basically if makes anything we ship it.

Not the first company I have worked for that got bought out. The new owner always pushes the people to do a better job, telling everyone that we are so close to our goal, but just fell shy. This will go on for some time, till the day comes to sell off this turkey (I pray I'm wrong). I'm not counting on any bonus or any other form of compensation. I think we are already overpaid for the **** poor job we do on the dock.

Last edited:
Where is everyone getting this idea? I've talked to class 1 terminal managers, a District Operations Manager, hell I've even talked to a regional VP of sales and everyone keeps saying the same thing... Tonnage growth at all costs. I have not heard anything about profitable freight. Basically if makes anything we ship it.
I have to agree with you on this point. While we have gotten rid of accounts that were bleeding us dry , we have kept accounts that we may not be making a profit on but fit us strategically - halo accounts. We don't want these customers to fall into competitions hands and we advertise that we haul "blue chip" companies freight.

Like you , I've had our director of operations , terminal manager , and sales people confirm this.

At my barn we are doing great on EBITDA. But our tonnage is down. So if we aren't making our tonnage now we certainly aren't going to hit our goal in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. It's just another carrot being dangled in front of us that we will never get! What does tonnage have to do with anything. So if you are at a service center where your biggest customer is bubble wrap and you pull 20 trailers out of there a day you won't be doing as good as the one with a paper mill in town. Even though the bubble wrap is a higher class than the paper. The whole bonus is a bunch of crap!

No so much. Each SC's goal is different, and based on past performance. So, if you've always hauled bubble wrap, your goals are set accordingly.

The problem would be if a SC that had a paper mill for their big account saw that mill close, and replaced by a bubble wrap manufacturer.

Conway has always held that carrot on a stick out in front of us as drivers for years. And now xpo has adopted CNW's bonus philosophy. Listen to me...even if you give them a fair shake everyday, some adverse circumstances will ultimately be out of your control causing a poor pay out: i.e. bad weather, bad economy, garbage freight that is easily wrecked or doesn't pay anything, etc.

My advice...work very conscientiously, to the best of your ability, and let the chips fall where they may. Don't be worrying nor loosing any sleep about how much of a bonus that you might get...why? Cause Uncle Sam is gonna eat up most of it anyway.

I agree whole heartedly. Bonuses are primarily geared toward incentivizing management...seeing how they get the Lion's share of the bonus pot.

No so much. Each SC's goal is different, and based on past performance. So, if you've always hauled bubble wrap, your goals are set accordingly.

The problem would be if a SC that had a paper mill for their big account saw that mill close, and replaced by a bubble wrap manufacturer.

I am at a level 1 service center and that is exactly what happend. Last summer before XPO bought us we had a paper insert company move out of town. They were good for 150,000 to 200,000 pounds a day. Even more during the holidays. We haven't gotten another customer like it. And mix that in with freight being slower anyway, and we are down on our O/B 200,000 pounds plus. But we are still profitable just our tonnage is down.

I am at a level 1 service center and that is exactly what happend. Last summer before XPO bought us we had a paper insert company move out of town. They were good for 150,000 to 200,000 pounds a day. Even more during the holidays. We haven't gotten another customer like it. And mix that in with freight being slower anyway, and we are down on our O/B 200,000 pounds plus. But we are still profitable just our tonnage is down.
Then if you factor in all the accessorial charges they are hammering us about, that equals more profit from less tonnage which then becomes no bonus. They win times 2.