Yellow | "Brand Adaptable Trailers" & "Dual-Use Tractors"!

I found it it was added as a momo of understanding, therefore not in the little book. Anyway, any new or additional equipment ordered to the road fleet after 4/1/03 shall be specified with the manufacturer to achive a minimum fleet road speed of 62 mph

www.tdu.org/Freight/Freight_NMFA_TA/NMFA_2003.pdf+national+master+freight+agreement+truck+mph&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us]NATIONAL MASTER FREIGHT AGREEMENT COVERING OVER-THE-ROAD AND LOCAL CARTAGE EMPLOYEES OF PRIVATE, COMMON, CONTRACT AND LOCAL[/url]

Thanks for the info.I tend to believe that this is contract because ABF did turn their trucks up after the contract ,what I don't understand is why it was not put in the book that was given to the membership when it took a year for us to get the damn thing. Thanks again for the info.

It's in there I can't remember where but I read it all road tractors are to be goverened no less than 62 mph If I find it I'll post where in my handy-dandy book.

Yes, diden't it something to do with getting ABF off 57 & up to 62 Mustache Tetired Roadway

What YRC is failing to take into account is State Law. Most states require base plating of vehicles used in that state (ie P & D) in that state. What happens when there aren't any properly base plated tractors left for a terminal to make daily P & D runs?

This may be so if the truck never leaves the state,however if it does it must have an apportioned tag.If I remember right say a truck is base plated in Ohio,that truck can go to Pa. Wv. In. Ky. or Mi. without being apportioned.As long as the state that the truck is operating in is listed an the appotioned regerstration it is legal.

Thanks KK for the pictures. I have now seen the multi-band trailers, and to be charitable, they look silly. YRC is, for the present, attempting to maintain several distinct brands. Yellow, Roadway, YRCW, and so on. I don't understand why they didn't add YRCZ to the AAR database and set these up as trailers belonging to the holding company (with the YRCW logo) that could be "checked out" to the company pulling them. These trailers have to "belong" to one of the operating companies, someone has to own them. Looking at them, I would say that Yellow is the registrant.
These "who am I today" trailers do nothing to enhance the brand images, and in fact may harm them. I can see a customer wondering why it is so easy to change the trailer over ("Which one of you is going out of business?").
This isn't as good for the image as using white tape to patch the orange bands around the tops of trailers, but its in the running.

This may be so if the truck never leaves the state,however if it does it must have an apportioned tag.If I remember right say a truck is base plated in Ohio,that truck can go to Pa. Wv. In. Ky. or Mi. without being apportioned.As long as the state that the truck is operating in is listed an the appotioned regerstration it is legal.

I didn't even think of that part. For those of you not sure what we are talking about, except for Indiana, where all road tractors are base plated, most states require "local use" vehicles to be plated in that state. Next time you hit a satellite, check out the plates on their city tractors. Bufbill brought up an interesting point since most P & D tractors aren't plated for 80k, like road tractors are. This means city tractors aren't capable of road use and road tractors aren't capable of fulltime city use. At CVE, we use some Goldwings as "regional" vehicles. They are plated for 80k road use, but are used for city fill in and linehaul turns.

I didn't even think of that part. For those of you not sure what we are talking about, except for Indiana, where all road tractors are base plated, most states require "local use" vehicles to be plated in that state. Next time you hit a satellite, check out the plates on their city tractors. Bufbill brought up an interesting point since most P & D tractors aren't plated for 80k, like road tractors are. This means city tractors aren't capable of road use and road tractors aren't capable of fulltime city use. At CVE, we use some Goldwings as "regional" vehicles. They are plated for 80k road use, but are used for city fill in and linehaul turns.

I believe your analysis is incorrect. The reason that local use equipment is not base plated is expense. In MO, for example, local plates allow you a thirty-mile radius. These are much cheaper than beyond local plates which are valid for the entire state. These would undoubtedly be cheaper and come with fewer reporting requirements than the IRP plates, since all your miles occur in the same state.

What article in the contract has language about speed requirements? I can not find it.
ONE MORE TIME... In your contract proposal that you received in 2003, there is, in bold print, an add to article 16 that provides for a Memo of Understanding that states:

All equipment within the Employer's road fleet shall be specified with the manufacturer for a minimum fleet road speed of 60 MPH effective April 1, 2004...

All new and/or additional equipment ordered for the road fleet after April 1, 2003 shall be specified with the manufacturer to achieve a minimum fleet road speed of 62 MPH...

This was negotiated mainly because of ABF's insistence of maintaining a fleet speed of 57 mph... That is the reason why the first paragraph makes no sense to us now... All that is applicable here is the 2d paragraph...

Remember, Article 16 standards for road equipment apply to any piece of equipment that your assigned in a linehaul tour of duty...

If you are assigned a city tractor for use on a linehaul run, be sure to check the registration, particularly the tag registration for registration to 80,000 lbs.
NMFA and FMCSR requirements call for compliance and that includes registration...

Part 392.9a...
(a) Registration required. A motor vehicle providing transportation requiring registration under 49 USC 13902 may not be operated without the required registration or operated beyond the scope of it's registration...

Yellow's linehaul tractors are base plated in Illinois... As for the intricate registration "legalese", I only check for registration requirements for what I'm about to use it for... YRC can fight their own battles with the local, state & fed entities about their overall fleet registration "requirements"... I'm not on retainer to them for legal advisement...

Not sure about that. Estes, FXF and a lot of others have all their units base plated in one state. Of course, as big as YRC is, the individual states might just sit up and take notice.

A tractor is a tractor is a tractor is what I read. Linehaul or City. Nothing about within 1 company man. We all read different things. DUH. I'm thinking 1 company but I really don't believe it is specified. You live in a happy space - me :hide:

Most drivers who have been in LTL freight for a long time, or with several different large companies, should know what the term "DUAL USE" or DUAL PURPOSE" actually refers to. It usually applies to terminals that run turn bids at night so that the tractor can be utilized in the city during the day. It does not mean that city tractors will be utilized for linehaul at night. Even if a driver runs a laydown, and goes to bed early enough, the terminal may use that tractor in the city. There are too many idle road tractors sitting during the day not being utilized. DUH...DUH...DUH!

What YRC is failing to take into account is State Law. Most states require base plating of vehicles used in that state (ie P & D) in that state. What happens when there aren't any properly base plated tractors left for a terminal to make daily P & D runs?
Here in Kansas City, Yellow, Roadway and Holland all have Illinois on both city and road. Recently, however they have change to Indiana. Our equipment manager said it's whoever is the cheapest.

Most drivers who have been in LTL freight for a long time, or with several different large companies, should know what the term "DUAL USE" or DUAL PURPOSE" actually refers to. It usually applies to terminals that run turn bids at night so that the tractor can be utilized in the city during the day. It does not mean that city tractors will be utilized for linehaul at night. Even if a driver runs a laydown, and goes to bed early enough, the terminal may use that tractor in the city. There are too many idle road tractors sitting during the day not being utilized. DUH...DUH...DUH!

I got this info third hand, but thru a reliable source who got it straight from my TM. He seemed to think the term Dual-Use in this instance will mean tractors with flip placards-- Yellow on one side-- Roadway on the other, like the trailers. I could be wrong.

That's another thing that leads me think they'll someday soon combine the Road Boards (and Road Boards only).....of course, it could also mean that a City Board short on equipment doesn't have to rent more......we'll have to wait and see. I'd still like to see what color they are........

The "MEMO" does not say that "TRACTORS" would be dual use between Yellow and Roadway, it refers to dual use between road and city operations within your own company....DUH!
We already do that now, on a small scale.

Looks to me if the city tractor was put in the road fleet then the rule applies

tractor in the city. There are too many idle road tractors sitting during the day not being utilized. DUH...DUH...DUH!

This explains why, when it is busy, road drivers sit for lack of power while the fence is full of city tractors (because the city drivers prefer road tractors). Brilliant!

This explains why, when it is busy, road drivers sit for lack of power while the fence is full of city tractors (because the city drivers prefer road tractors). Brilliant!

Given a choice, every driver would prefer road power. The above situation, sad to say, then, is a result not of greedy men nearly as much as lack of management setting/enforcing rules of common sense. Most management counts on us policing ourselves and doing the right things. It appears they need to be more involved, and no one really wants that. There are always a few bad apples, and it sounds like they've spoiled your barrel.....:nutkick:

How about when your leaving to go on a road trip with a old peice of iron and in pulls a city man with a brand new line haul tractor!Man that burns me up!He's running around town making P&D'S and you have to drive five hundred plus miles in something that should me in the smithsonian.

Something to consider...

I ran a turn bid for quite a while and was often assigned city (or, "combo" in ATL) power to run my tour with. Even though there is nothing contractual that can prohibit the co. from doing this (as long as the equipment meets contractual requirements for linehaul operation), there is one aspect that can be used for argument against this practice:
D-I-S-C-R-I-M-I-N-A-T-I-O-N... Now, I base it on this: I am a LINEHAUL driver, in the same pool as all LINEHAUL drivers on the board at my domicile. Simply because I choose to hold a turn bid, that precludes me from having the same opportunity to drive late model road equipment as the other linehaul drivers have?... Even though there is nothing contractual to grieve here, that one word, discrimination, is a powerful noun that scares the hell out of MGMT. and HR... Toss that in the right direction and see if you get any results...

hey guys in my neck of the woods the speed limit is 55
in yours it may be 65 so how can we have a national agreement telling us to break the law
governing tractors is up to the company it is their equipment
my understanding is that it is governed for safety reasons