Estes | Bring on the UNION !!!!

UnhappyEdriver

TB Lurker
Credits
This is crazy, only one week after bidding, the company wants to take away our break-n-hook pay. We just made an decision as to what run we would do and they withold this new information from us. Some runs are alot of miles and little b-n-h's while other runs are short shuttle runs with lots of b-n-h's. They were aware or what was coming and should of notified us before we bid. This is a HUGH paycut for me- i make 400-450$ a WEEK on break n hooks. I think there should be a rebid.
Its also BS that they are pulling dock workers off the dock and having them hook n break our sets. So now we have to preform a pretrip inspection on an already hooked set and not get paid anything for the work. Isn't it against the law to require people to preform work and not pay them for it??
Sounds like a class action lawsuit...
And include all the free work we have done while fueling and not gotten paid for those services.
Come on all drivers, we have to band together and put a stop to this. We can always start to certify terminals and vote the union in to help us fight this injustice!!

do you know what your talking about? i work for a union company and we don't get paid to do a pre-trip, and in the larger terminals they do our drop and hooks for us.

I thought that you had to get your break/hook verified upon dispatch or arrival. Are you saying they are eliminating B/H pay entirely?

Is this a west thing or company wide. Look how gate times have been affected already. They need to get some managment that knows how to run a trucking company instead of the inbreds who change operations more than they change their underwear. At least somebody got fed up with working for free.Class Action Fairness Act Blog: Poor Defendant is Still a Significant Defendant under CAFA.

Illuminati could you put this in laymans terms,just what the hell was this guy suing for.

I thought that you had to get your break/hook verified upon dispatch or arrival. Are you saying they are eliminating B/H pay entirely?

The only thing I've heard is they are going to start charging the hooks to the terminals. We are suposed to get paid for the hooks but some tm's are saying they are not having any drivers hook sets. This was good news to me. I can see the point of the rebids if your schedule involves 20 hooks and you've counted those chickens before they hatched. Maybe another rebid would be the answer if they are not paying us hooks anymore but they've always paid me and they just added a couple spots on our paycheck for hooks/unhooks. If we have to hook/unhook for free I guess we are just going to have to take it on the chin and deal with it. It would be a paycut for the drivers and the paycut should be across the board (imop) but either way I'm still happy to be here.

Be careful what you wish for....If I had the choice of setting in a warm breakroom in the (Winter) and a cool breakroom in the(summer) while someone else did the work I know what I would choose. Also if you push the issue to far they just might come back and say thats it....WE will do the D-N-H's all the time, then you would either be there for a short period of time and no clock time or for an extended period of time then they might try and screw you on your delay time, All I can say is choose your Posion wisely!! Happy Trails and Be Safe.

Policy officially starts on the 15th for every linedriver across the nation. I guess it staryed early out on the west coast.
1) yes, i do average 43 b-n-h's a week.
2) dont forget, on the west coast, we were paid $9.50 for each.
3) i would rather be gettin paid to do something rather than sittin around for free in a breakroom- we sit enough behind the wheel!

Union talk will probably not be tolerated on this forum........Believe it or not there is a union non-union forum that the moderator is going to move this to.

The only thing I've heard is they are going to start charging the hooks to the terminals. We are suposed to get paid for the hooks but some tm's are saying they are not having any drivers hook sets. This was good news to me. I can see the point of the rebids if your schedule involves 20 hooks and you've counted those chickens before they hatched. Maybe another rebid would be the answer if they are not paying us hooks anymore but they've always paid me and they just added a couple spots on our paycheck for hooks/unhooks. If we have to hook/unhook for free I guess we are just going to have to take it on the chin and deal with it. It would be a paycut for the drivers and the paycut should be across the board (imop) but either way I'm still happy to be here.

That's what I've been shown by the TM...Showed me how he has to do it on the puter and all...It does have to be approved by the terminal you break them at though...Every morning he turns your D&H's in on the puter..He puts the Terminal number in that you broke the set and hooked the set and when he clicks ENTER, it goes to the other terminal and the TM approves it..Haven't heard nothing at all about "not getting paid" for them at all..

1tdriver said:
Union talk will probably not be tolerated on this forum........Believe it or not there is a union non-union forum that the moderator is going to move this to.

Well sometimes ? This debate for the most part is between estes drivers so it will stay here. The only times moves are made is if there is trolling by union members telling estes drivers to go union. Union talk in a nonunion forum is ok as long as it's between estes drivers.
The only union member to post so far is to tell the driver he was wrong and the union won't help him lol

There is no federal standard to how what truck drivers get paid. If all was fair them OTR boys would get paid by the hour sitting at docks instead of for free for hours on end.

Everyone feel free to post away on this subject as long as no flame wars are started and too many outsiders don't bombard the thread. This is mainly a driver paycut discussion so far.

At least one of our major competitors does not pay anything extra for breaks + hooks. They tell the drivers that its included in their mileage rate. The disappointing part is their mileage pay is lower that ours.

I remember when I first started here. I thought the hourly pay was well above the normal and the local guys seemed to be moving in slow motion compaired to the other companies I'ved worked for in the past. I remember hooking my first set and I thought, "that was easy enough and a lot better than loading/unloading." Then I found out later that I get paid for it. I don't know how many sets I hooked before I found out we need to write it down to get paid but I thought wow that's more money on top of the check I was already getting. If they take that away I'm not gonna scream union and lose sleep but if it don't cost the company anything, I know they will take advantage of us with the free labor. I can hear it already, "we have our 2200 driver on the way, he can hook them when he gets here. Go ahead and clock out!"

This really wasn't calling for the union, but my frustration in being paid for something and them stopping the pay and not letting us preform those breaks. Yes, you will still get some bnh's only at dark terminals. At a dark term, u have to call central dispatch and get "approval" first and then they have to enter the 3 or 4 into the computer.
BUT, if u run out of a hub ( or any term that is open all night), the new policy is to drop your set and the jockey( or dockworker pulled off the dock) will hook your set. And, violioa, we lost the drop n hook pay. If you do alot of them it adds up quickly.
My problem was this came out 1 week after bids were posted and taken down. If they would of notified ud drivers of their intentions at bid time, i would of choose a longer milage meet run where there was only 2 bnh's involved for the night instead of choosing 2 shorter runs with a minumum of eight bnh's. (aka shuttle work
estes east doesnt do alot of runs with pups, u guys do longboxes.
Out here at GI/ Estes west , we do at least 90% pups. So i can see where this isnt a problem for u east coasters, but it greatly effects us left coasters.
-- We also do alot of combo runs-- say for instance: at Sac the driver get 2 trls- 1 going to Bakersfield and 1 to Riverside.
-- driver goes to Bak , does bnh and picks up a Lamirda trlr.
-- driver now takes the 1 Lmi and 1 Riv and goes to Lmi
-- at Lmi driver does bnh and now picks up another Riv trlr.
-- driver now goes on to Riv with 2 riv trls.

That run was now 430 miles with 6 bnh's.
Now after this policy change, he got 430 miles and time he was in those 3 terminals was unpaid.( about 1.5 hours at the best{.5 in sac, .5 in Bak, and .5 in Lmi}. And that time was generous cause sofar all the jockeys are backed up from hooking everyones sets)
sooooo, gate times wont be meet and freight will be late!

this started back in december in the east, we lost second trailer to the dock pay. only get paid the 7.50 even if you put both to the dock. they said they paid like 7 million in drop hook pay last year. so they are trying to make the switchers do it. cause drivers complain about switchers sitting around.

i ve already done some hooks and had to argue to get paid, dispatcher said he wasnt signing anything. cause it now is charged to the terminal where you are.

before it was charged to your home terminal. so some places took advantage of that, like scranton pa. always made drivers do it. cause it was free to scranton.

charlotte is a example of where it is not working. you wait on average 1 and half to two hours after your loads are ready to get your hooks

they have several switchers but only two hook sets even if the others have nothing to do. they say those work for dock and they cant tell them what to do. so while you wait on hook you see switchers sitting still talking.

also charlotte likes to get dolly numbers and pre hook you in computer and dispatch you even though you still have to wait for trailers to be hooked. so sometimes i just hook them for free so i can get moving.

i guess with these prehook in computer and dispatch main office doesnt really know what is going on and how late drivers are actually leaving. its mainly second shift that predispatches you before hook.

Don't get me wrong. I won't be doing cartwheels if this is true. I normally only have a few hooks through the week. It would really bother me if I just bidded on a run that had multiple hooks and I could have just bidded on a 600 mile turn with no hooks. I think rebids are going to happen again if this is true. If not, you guys that just bid on a multiple hook run just got drilled with all the ruff jagged stuff.

Be careful what you wish for....If I had the choice of setting in a warm breakroom in the (Winter) and a cool breakroom in the(summer) while someone else did the work I know what I would choose. Also if you push the issue to far they just might come back and say thats it....WE will do the D-N-H's all the time, then you would either be there for a short period of time and no clock time or for an extended period of time then they might try and screw you on your delay time, All I can say is choose your Posion wisely!! Happy Trails and Be Safe.
Estes does not pay delay pay so any time spent sitting is time away from home in the employment of said company not being compensated. Some are good with this and accept it others say it is BS and laws vary from state to state. So long as it is tolerated they will continue to cheat you every chance they get all in the name of greed (oops I meant profits). If they really want efficiency then get some management that knows how to run a trucking company and stop all the waste that is happening every single day around here. Message to management- It is not your employees(at least the majority of them) that is the problem so start doing things the right way and get in the present and stop with the mentality of trying to do things like you did when you were a little regional ltl company. Treat your hourly and salaried employees with some respect and quit blowing steam up their keesters and most of them will bust their butts for you. Sorry guys I did not realize I still had that kind of rant in this old fat tired drivers head.

talking about sitting and waiting, charlotte also has a policy to make linehaul drivers sit and wait till hub drivers are off the clock.

say you get there and there is loads ready that you can take, you cant have them, they will sit you on the bench for 2 or 3 hours if they have to so the hub guy can take those while you wait on the loads that closed on the hub.

they say if they save 10 minutes on a hub drivers clock time, it saves the company money and they dont care how long you had to wait without pay.