Estes | Bring on the UNION !!!!

There's a small percentage of unhappy folks everywhere you go. You can give them everything they want and they would still complain. Give a million dollars to a broke person and he will soon be broke again.

I bet the IBT doesn't either, maybe you could package your vast unionizing resume into a "Rich Organizer/Poor Organizer" seminar and cassette tape series and sell it to them. May we have some examples of the trucking companies you have organized recently? Based on your countless (unsolicited?) e-mails and info here on the internetz you have ole Rob by the nuggets so why bother directing us to your under construction website? Or much simpler, just follow the rules of this forum and take this to the Union/Non-Union debate forum. Or keep it here and we'll digitally lance each other til a Mod gets involved.

Disclaimer: I lost interest in this board some time ago, so I've just checked in from time to time to see what the old hands were up to....but this is rich.

Well,well,well, look who came crawling out of the union hater closet. A little pro union provocation and you come, once again, defending Mr. E. LOL. Isn't that "rich". TE out.....

Thanks for the warm welcome back boys. Your funeral Mildew. After thinkin on it a bit and rereading I'm a little suspicious of a possible fishing expedition by an eager up n comer looking to put a feather in his career.
I'm here observing. Just like you. What are you afraid of DD? Little old me? I'm just a harmless ex employee. I do see Beerboy has been talking though. I don't need a feather in my cap, but, justice, dignity, respect,and power to influence pay, bennies, and working conditions, for my former brothers at G.I. Trucking/Estes Express Lines would be very rewarding. I will not lie to you. No fishing expedition conducted by me. I do find him interesting though. TE out....

"Ha,ha" REALLY????? Some of us have long memories. Mr. Estes needs to understand one thing. For every action there is a reaction. But on another note. Beerboy you should be ashamed of yourself. I thought you could keep a secret. TE out...

I'm here observing. Just like you. What are you afraid of DD? Little old me? I'm just a harmless ex employee. I do see Beerboy has been talking though. I don't need a feather in my cap, but, justice, dignity, respect,and power to influence pay, bennies, and working conditions, for my former brothers at G.I. Trucking/Estes Express Lines would be very rewarding. I will not lie to you. No fishing expedition conducted by me. I do find him interesting though. TE out....

Im afraid I wasnt subtle enough for you Elvis. My actual point was that this smelled of somebody trying to get sympathizers to identify themselves on a mickey mouse website, all on one simple list they could send to WY. And as for crawling out....remember...Im the one who actually works for Estes. I just am and always will be a little too "red state" for a union, and I dont hate them or even really care one way or the other if others want that, just aint for me.

Im afraid I wasnt subtle enough for you Elvis. My actual point was that this smelled of somebody trying to get sympathizers to identify themselves on a mickey mouse website, all on one simple list they could send to WY. And as for crawling out....remember...Im the one who actually works for Estes. I just am and always will be a little too "red state" for a union, and I dont hate them or even really care one way or the other if others want that, just aint for me.

Oh, the dreaded tan man, aka. Wayne (fire em all) Y. I love that guy. He's a p!sser! Is he still flying around the country wielding his axe, executing those who rebel against the master? Mickey Mouse web site? It's not near what it once was, but that's pretty harsh. Or "rich" as you like to say. I remember another poster who used to use that term "rich". Way back, when I used to come here and beat up on the man in the ivory tower and his empire. I think it was estesfr8 or truckin4jesus or someone like that. Ah, who cares. It's like I said in the past. Not the worst company to work for, by far. But definitely not the best, by far. Good luck fellow truckers. TE out...

I wouldn't worry as long as you're getting paid for work you ACTUALLY do. Anyway, pre-hooked sets(aka pre-strung sets) are the way to go. What do you want to do next, work on their equipment??? ..lol Be safe. :-)
Everyone, everywhere, knows what the real issue here is. These guys in Richmond want to pay Road drivers when the wheels are spinning, and that's it. There is a lot of time spent (on duty) without compensation. This is not, and never will be, morally, ethically, or legally correct. At least not here in California. Before they took the drop and hooks away,the drivers at least,got something for their lost wages due to delays and such. You can spin it anyway you want Mildew but those are the facts. TE out.....

How do you keep up with your hooks and how long it takes you to hook them?
Is there a set number of minutes they alow or can you take 4 hours to hook a set and know your protected?
If you are getting paid by the mile and have been driving for 8 hours do you get 1 1/2 times your pay when hooking a set after 8 hours of driving?
If your fueling your truck and it takes an hour to do it, do they pay you for an hour at 1 1/2 times your pay?
What happens if it takes a new guy 1/2 the time to break his set and fuel his truck as the senior guy and he saves the company $10,000 a year, does anyone care or does he just get a pat on the back?
If you guys are in fact getting .60 a mile and the package division are only getting $32 an hour arn't they getting sand papered?
Do you get different pay for sets vs singles? different pay for highway, two lanes, interstates, weather, Hazmat, etc??
Do you have to log everything in the comic book that you get paid for?
Is it really hard to get yourself fired??
How many sick days, personal, vacation, holidays do you get each year?
Do you sit at home very often or work everyday?
If these union companies are so great, what's the reason for all the biiching???

How do you keep up with your hooks and how long it takes you to hook them?
Is there a set number of minutes they alow or can you take 4 hours to hook a set and know your protected?
If you are getting paid by the mile and have been driving for 8 hours do you get 1 1/2 times your pay when hooking a set after 8 hours of driving?
If your fueling your truck and it takes an hour to do it, do they pay you for an hour at 1 1/2 times your pay?
What happens if it takes a new guy 1/2 the time to break his set and fuel his truck as the senior guy and he saves the company $10,000 a year, does anyone care or does he just get a pat on the back?
If you guys are in fact getting .60 a mile and the package division are only getting $32 an hour arn't they getting sand papered?
Do you get different pay for sets vs singles? different pay for highway, two lanes, interstates, weather, Hazmat, etc??
Do you have to log everything in the comic book that you get paid for?
Is it really hard to get yourself fired??
How many sick days, personal, vacation, holidays do you get each year?
Do you sit at home very often or work everyday?
If these union companies are so great, what's the reason for all the biiching???

I didn't know that this thread was a comparison topic, but never the less, I will try and answer your questions the best I can. We at UPSF are compensated for all time on duty, whether you are line or p&d. We get $24 an hour to hook and break. No matter how long it takes. You can bet if you are milking it, you will eventually get caught. You are compensated at straight time for other duties, if you have a mileage run, unless you have over 8 hours of clock time, which is rare, but occasionally does happen. As far as your next question, comparing employees performance and adopting performance standards based on those comparisons is, and will never be, negotiated in our contract. It in unfair and unrealistic to expect an elder driver, dockworker, etc, to keep the pace of a young man. Road drivers are currently earning .6063 per mile. We receive two raises a year. One in Jan. the other in July. We will be over 61 cents per mile in July. Same mileage pay unless you are pulling triples. Don't know that rate off the top of my head. Of course we have to log everything we are paid for!!! Don't you???? No it is not hard to get yourself terminated. There are what we call cardinal sins, that will get you walked off the job, and almost impossible for your BA to defend. As it should be, by the way. 3 sick days. Vacations paid at a true percentage of your annual salary. I think we top off at 5 or 6 weeks a year. I have never sat at home waiting on a phone call. Depends on where you are though. Just trying to be fair with my answers. I don't know, answers your last question. Hope I have been some help. TE out...

I didn't know that this thread was a comparison topic, but never the less, I will try and answer your questions the best I can. We at UPSF are compensated for all time on duty, whether you are line or p&d. We get $24 an hour to hook and break. No matter how long it takes. You can bet if you are milking it, you will eventually get caught. You are compensated at straight time for other duties, if you have a mileage run, unless you have over 8 hours of clock time, which is rare, but occasionally does happen. As far as your next question, comparing employees performance and adopting performance standards based on those comparisons is, and will never be, negotiated in our contract. It in unfair and unrealistic to expect an elder driver, dockworker, etc, to keep the pace of a young man. Road drivers are currently earning .6063 per mile. We receive two raises a year. One in Jan. the other in July. We will be over 61 cents per mile in July. Same mileage pay unless you are pulling triples. Don't know that rate off the top of my head. Of course we have to log everything we are paid for!!! Don't you???? No it is not hard to get yourself terminated. There are what we call cardinal sins, that will get you walked off the job, and almost impossible for your BA to defend. As it should be, by the way. 3 sick days. Vacations paid at a true percentage of your annual salary. I think we top off at 5 or 6 weeks a year. I have never sat at home waiting on a phone call. Depends on where you are though. Just trying to be fair with my answers. I don't know, answers your last question. Hope I have been some help. TE out...
Yea thanks. I was just curious and I knew you had the answers. I know it was an off the wall question but just felt like asking while I was drinking my koolaid. lol
.61 x 70 = $42.7 per hour. Not bad

Alright guys, I work in a large break bulk terminal as an outbound supervisor. Here we have are jockeys/hostlers hook and break all our sets. real quick lets do the math. 4 jockeys on a 12 hr shift hook 70 sets a night or more.....thats $960 to hook 70 sets and break over 90. im low balling. At $9 a break and $9 a hook for drivers thats $1440. Im not saying i agree or disagree. In my neck of the woods, we want to get the drivers in and out of there as fast as possible. the last thing i want to see is a full driver room. If the wheels arent turning, drivers arent making money and estes isnt making service. I do understand that it is often frustrating. I see drivers arguing with dispatchers (side note: i was dispatching on a christmas eve and a driver yelled at me because he was working.....apparently he didnt realize i was also on the job), dispatchers arguing with drivers, dockworkers arguing with management, and ultimately customers calling with complaints. I dont know why we operate like this. WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME TEAM! Everyone of us gets the shaft from time to time, but we get thru everytime. Sure we arent happy for a day, 2 days, week whatever, but eventually its forgotten. That being said, it makes no sense to cause a stressful relationship between yourself and other co-workers when it going to be a non-subject by next week. I take my lumps, shut my mouth, and get thru it. Estes is an enormous company. It is up to the higher powers to keep the operation running at a profit. It is up to us to keep the customer satisfied. Profits and customer service have proven to trump employee job satisfaction. This will not change anytime soon. If you organize.....you will be shut down or bled dry. That leaves us with one option: Do our jobs the best we can without letting current trends ruin our day. We will keep our company operating and eventually it WILL get better.

I have a question about UPS and the union and living in a right to work state. Say I got hired at UPS in Mississippi and opted not to be in the union. Is there a different pay package? What would be different then?

teamster elvis said:
"Ha,ha" REALLY????? Some of us have long memories. Mr. Estes needs to understand one thing. For every action there is a reaction. But on another note. Beerboy you should be ashamed of yourself. I thought you could keep a secret. TE out...

Dude I don't have a clue to what your talking about ?? I have talked to one and one only estes driver since the last time we talked ! I'm not getting something here. What did I say ? I talk to two guys out of KC every now and again.
The only other people I may talk to from TruckingBoards on the phone is wondering99 , Jeff and you. That's it. I'm a very low profile keep to myself guy these days. So I didn't catch on to what was said but this is the first time I've said anything to anyone about even speaking to the famous Elvis on the phone. And it's true Elvis is really a good guy haha it's true he is just a old truck driver full of ::shit::.
There now I said something about ya

This place is like high school sometimes. Gossip gossip. Damn I've been minding my own too lol o well

DemonDeacon said:
Thanks for the warm welcome back boys. Your funeral Mildew. After thinkin on it a bit and rereading I'm a little suspicious of a possible fishing expedition by an eager up n comer looking to put a feather in his career.

Oooooooo ok no Elvis he was talking about that new poster not you. No one knows anything about what you and I talked about and never will. That's your business. You almost told on your self jumping the gun mister.
You been hanging out with them pot smokin liberals at the union hall to much. Gettin a lil paranoid hehehe.
I like these guys here, no phone calls just message board here in front of all to see

Paranoid Elvis needs to get a drink and call me before he spills beans :)
checking out ..........

Have you guys seen some of the new laws being passed around the country? Unions are getting beat up.. almost dibandiment parties! Times are a changin'. Its hard to predict the end result, but a non union operaton (teachers, steelworkers, drivers, etc) will be able to produce the same products, goods, service as it union counterparts for less. Very very simple. Every company in the nation is trimming fat from their operations. They all pretty much cut back in similar fashions. Start with the easy cuts first and finish with the most difficult. Question is: How far do they go?