Yellow | buffalo snow storm

storm

They're saying power could be out for a week. 300,000-400,000 without power. Warning people to boil water. I'm lucky, safe and warm in my hotel room. I'm sure there were alot of Big R drivers stuck on the thruway while it was closed restarting their trucks every frickin' 5 minutes.

Us guys from New England never made it to Buffalo.We ended up going to bed in Rochester then taking our freight either to Harrisburg or Akron what a cluster!They sent me to Akron which worked out because all the freight i had (41 shipments @ 47,000#) was all desdent for the midwest and the far west.I guess Buffy had lost power and you couldn't get even get down the acess road to the terminal due to down power lines.And it's only October.It's going to be a long winter boys!

Pallyo said:
They're saying power could be out for a week. 300,000-400,000 without power. Warning people to boil water. I'm lucky, safe and warm in my hotel room. I'm sure there were alot of Big R drivers stuck on the thruway while it was closed restarting their trucks every frickin' 5 minutes.

I have found out on my truck anyway if you are stuck in cold weather leave your tractor valve in and set just the trailer valve. By doing that the tractor will not shut down.

I have a Volvo 2006 I don't know if it will work on most but it does on mine. Hope this will help keep some one warm.:USA:

4 of our guys were sitting on the road near the terminal but couldn't get in because of hydro lines down.

They arrived around 1 am Fri and were still there Fri night.

Imagine not being able to get out and go somewhere because you can't go anywhere because of the snow.

axlethedriver said:
The Buffalo News

hey bigr and the rest of the trucking gang. good luck and hope you get your power back on soon. boy retirement must feel great now

I just talked to BigR about an hour ago. He's still without power and said it could be next weekend before his power is restored.

Hopefully he'll be back before then

Oh, I bet he's having a ball!! Wonder if he still calls RDWY to tell them he's snowed in???:shock: I hope you get your power on soon, TBR!! DS.

Canadian said:
4 of our guys were sitting on the road near the terminal but couldn't get in because of hydro lines down.

They arrived around 1 am Fri and were still there Fri night.

Imagine not being able to get out and go somewhere because you can't go anywhere because of the snow.

Every truck has its own quark. That works on most, but not all. Even the same year. If that don't work, wait for the idle shut down display to come on, then lightly touch gas peddle, that will disengage some. Some you have to hit resume on cruise and that will do it. Gotta say, they best snoozer cruiser besides the holiday inns we drive, is still the freight shaker!:yawn:

Moparman said:
Us guys from New England never made it to Buffalo.We ended up going to bed in Rochester then taking our freight either to Harrisburg or Akron what a cluster!They sent me to Akron which worked out because all the freight i had (41 shipments @ 47,000#) was all desdent for the midwest and the far west.I guess Buffy had lost power and you couldn't get even get down the acess road to the terminal due to down power lines.And it's only October.It's going to be a long winter boys!
Had one guy on the thruway from 120 for 13 hrs, finally got off and went to the hotel(no power), spent 22hrs more there, no food anywhere (everything closed). Good money but that has gotta suck. If that was me, I'd atleast demand from the hotel to give free booze c'mon!:rockon:

serta said:
If that was me, I'd atleast demand from the hotel to give free booze c'mon!:rockon:
A driver has to keep warm, right?? How about another shot of "anti freeze" bartender!!:watsup: DS.

It could be my faulty memory, which continually gets worse as the years fly by, but isn't Buffalo prepared for these kinda storms? I guess October is early for a big one but waist high snow used to be the norm for about 4 or 5 months of the year there.

Disaster relief teams from all over the South and Mid-West are being deployed to the Buffalo region. I just received an emergency email asking for all available Southern Baptist Disaster relief teams with feeding units and chainsaw crews to be ready to roll asap.

Riobard said:
It could be my faulty memory, which continually gets worse as the years fly by, but isn't Buffalo prepared for these kinda storms? I guess October is early for a big one but waist high snow used to be the norm for about 4 or 5 months of the year there.

That was my exact thought also Riobard but when I talked to TheBigR he explained that the snow was very wet and heavy and that most of the leaves were still on the trees before the storm hit.

This combination caused a lot of trees and branches to come down which took down a lot of power lines.

About Roadway's Volvos

All I know about is the Roadway Volvo's .... There is several ways to keep them running in bad weather..
1. Like Skeeter said keep you trailer breaks set and release you Tractor break... This one works on very few.
2. Push your resume and that will engage the PTO and idle up the motor.
3. Wait the time limit for the shutdown and watch for the idle shut down warning on the clock display and pat the fuel peddle while it is flashing.
4. If all the above fails find a rock and put it on the fuel peddle ....:)

The older Volvos you could wrap the shoulder strap from the seat belt around the chicken stick.
(Trolley break arm) to hold it all the way down to keep the motor running.
But with these computer chips set to shut the motor down after 5 to 15 minutes,because of every states environmental idling laws.
Who knows whats going to work anymore?

I usually engage the PTO. Sometimes when I nap and someone parks in front of me I wake up see the back of a trailer and the motor in higher idle I jump like a little *****. It's always good for a laugh or a mild heart attack!

Pallyo said:
I usually engage the PTO. Sometimes when I nap and someone parks in front of me I wake up see the back of a trailer and the motor in higher idle I jump like a little *****. It's always good for a laugh or a mild heart attack!
Yeah that has happened to me one time and it don't feel good... :hysterical: