Bump fire stock

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Keepingon, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Keepingon

Keepingon Well-Known Member

I'm all for people's right to own guns. I own two guns To protect my home and family. But I am far from an expert on guns and now it seems we see a bill to ban bump stock fire devices.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/04/us/politics/bump-stock-fire-legal-republicans-congress.html

What is bump fire stock ?

I don't think I need to fire 800 rounds in a minute to protect my home and family or to hunt. Accuracy can not be an argument for this device as we have just unfortunately learned in Vegas with this thing you don't need to be accurate firing into crowds. I know some on here are very very pro gun rights but i am Interested in hearing their thoughts on this device.

Northern Flash likes this.
  2. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

I didn't watch that video but it probably shows what it is. It's a stock that lets the rifle rock back and forth off of the recoil as it shoots and lets the gun fire almost like a machine gun. I didn't know that they did what they do either. I don't think that they're practical in the field (during a war) and, myself, don't want one. From what I have heard many won't mind if they're banned but the concern is that it opens the door for more controls.

jimmy g, falconfan, JIM BOB and 3 others like this.
  3. ABFer

One of the things that has to happen for a gun to fire full auto is that the bolt has to close then the hammer has to be released. You can't just file a sear so it won't stay open and get full auto, the hammer will follow the bolt back into place and the firing pin will not get 'swatted' like it has to to activate the primer. That bump-fire stock makes that happen in a different way than the way machine guns are made.

4. Northern Flash

Northern Flash Piss on our Flag, get a boycott against you.

I have no use for one of these bump-fire stocks and will never own one. However, like said above, if the left gets the bans started, they'll continue from one gun to the next. If they banned these bump-fire stocks, I couldn't care any less. The same goes for silencers. I don't need one or want one. And from what I hear, a silencer only quiets the noise of an AR down to being equal to a jackhammer. Some people think that a silencer quiets them down like a Tom Cruise movie does. That's just not true.
    I truly don't care about either of these being banned or not, but you can bet that if the left gets these banned, they'll move on to the next firearm to ban.

jimmy g and seabreeze like this.
  5. Keepingon

Keepingon Well-Known Member

I think that's what most people are thinking

6. Northern Flash

If the Democrats could be trusted for anything, they might actually get some support from the right on the push against these. But they've already proven that they can't be trusted on anything.

jimmy g likes this.
  7. buffalobill

buffalobill Well-Known Member

Up until monday, I always thought those stocks were a gimmick. After hearing the live videos, I guess not. Should probably be placed under the same classification as lightining links and auto sears for ar15's, both are class 3 and regulated.

I own guns, I don't want one of those things. I get sick of the ninja commando crowd making gun owners look bad, and this is one of those idiodic devices that do that. Just like those dumbass trigger cranks and useless grenade launchers that they advertise as "flare launchers".

icuicp and Northern Flash like this.
  8. AzPilot

AzPilot Well-Known Member

I bet they go after the Echo Trigger next.

9. Northern Flash

Yep. There is no need for some of this stuff.

10. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

Trump and the NRA came out today against them.
    Next year they take all your gunz away

11. AzPilot

AzPilot Well-Known Member

And then your 1st Amendment Rights !

jimmy g likes this.
  12. Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

I'm pro 2nd but devices like these should not be out there! There is no accuracy involved and only provides to circumvent laws regarding automatic weapons!

13. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

Put us in FEMA camps in the desert

14. buffalobill

Same idiots, every gun show, retraded stickers, signs, garbage parts for ninja wannabe guns. Not helping our side. Mossberg chainsaw, not helping us out.

All the guys who shoot 3 gun or long range with ar15's, or just shoot prairie dogs, get lumped in with trailer trash with no tact.

Northern Flash likes this.
  15. Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

Let's take a moment here to show why pro 2nd people don't want to give up anything even when they should. The Las Vegas shooter with the information I have seen did not have a suppressor in his possession. The "Bumpstock" is the device he used to enable him to simulate full auto and quite frankly exsists only to get around other regulation. So that brings us to why all the conversation about "suppressors" ? The first person I personally heard interject suppressors into the conversation of gun controls after Las Vegas was Hillary Clinton's tweet!!!

jimmy g and Keepingon like this.
  16. JIM BOB

JIM BOB Super Moderator Staff Member

If you take the bolt out of most any semi auto,cut a piece of leather about the size of a quarter and put it inside of the reciever where the bolt travels back to you will have a full auto.A good piece of leather will last a long time only problem you will have is getting the correct thickness.Worked on a M14 and should work on about anything else because most semis don't have close tolerances.

17. buffalobill

I doubt that, the hammer would ride forward behind the bolt, and it wouldn't have any energy to hit the firing pin. And if you are talking about wedging the leather against the firing pin so it protrudes from the bolt face all the time, good luck, hope your life insurance is up to date, you're firing out of battery, the first time you ignite the primer outide the chamber the cartridge will explode!

18. ABFer

I smell a deal in the air. A push has been on to deregulate the sale of suppressors and for nationwide concealed carry (CC). Even if all that was obtained was the nationwide CC a bump-stock ban would create no waves and a double whammy for it would be welcomed.

buffalobill likes this.
  19. Bubba74

Bubba74 Well-Known Member

Trump said it is too soon for all this
    but the Dems never let a crisis go to waste
    anything done now would be a kneejerk reaction

The reality is this attack was pretty much impossible to stop
    background checks- he passed them
    getting all the stuff into the room - Duffle bags, golf bags, he was there 3-4 days prior and house keeping is not supposed to be going throught your luggage

jimmy g likes this.
  20. buffalobill

I'd be happy with nationwide cc and being able to buy supressors for giving up those dumb stocks.

Northern Flash and Jeff like this.