Central Transport | Bunch of sales and operations folks quit today

All of ours went to Southeastern along with our accounts....Not pretty down South men.

What folks are the "ours" you are talking about runaway? Who quit down south that we don't know about? It ain't pretty anywhere, down south, specially out east, west or north. Folks leaving the V is bidness, nothing more , nothing less. Lost a good man in COL this week, used to be in CLV. Lost another regional player based in CLV I believe and another one that was based in CIN ? I gotta go to bed so I can run city east outta the two feathered smilin native.

What folks are the "ours" you are talking about runaway? Who quit down south that we don't know about? It ain't pretty anywhere, down south, specially out east, west or north. Folks leaving the V is bidness, nothing more , nothing less. Lost a good man in COL this week, used to be in CLV. Lost another regional player based in CLV I believe and another one that was based in CIN ? I gotta go to bed so I can run city east outta the two feathered smilin native.

Do you know if Rich went to Central as well?

Yes, Rich Huffman out of Columbus left for Central.
Patrick Sulzer out of Cincy left for Central
Damian Roelen regional mgr left for Central
All those in the South

They wont listen dumb move. I tried to tell them

Because THEY are the problem. It all started with the Vitran "I'm better than you" mentality or "We bought you bottom dwellers" mentality. The old CF management mentality from D.K. was the seed that was in place before the merger and was destined to fail.

>>>The merger never had a chance.<<<

Guys, not sure how many of you have been around long enough to remember George Reid. Unless you worked in the original Vitran Central network, or, are a former Conway employee, you have know idea who I am referring to. Gaetz, had a great US LTL president in Reid, and after 10 or 12 years has found another one in Keylon. However, its too late. Reid was trying to build what Gaetz now realizes is necessary for long term success in the US LTL Industry.. Ironically, and this is like a history lesson, Mr. George Reid was hired into American Freightways (now FXF) along with several former Conway executives to turn AF around, which they did. Its funny how Gaetz is 10 to 15 years behind the U.S. LTL Industry. Gaetz hired a product of the FXF / AF operating environment, that G Reid built to run the company that Mr. Reid formally ran successfully. Guys, this is the problem. We work for the only Canadian based LTL carrier in the US, and they have no idea what trucking is like south of the Great Lakes.

Guys, not sure how many of you have been around long enough to remember George Reid. Unless you worked in the original Vitran Central network, or, are a former Conway employee, you have know idea who I am referring to. Gaetz, had a great US LTL president in Reid, and after 10 or 12 years has found another one in Keylon. However, its too late. Reid was trying to build what Gaetz now realizes is necessary for long term success in the US LTL Industry.. Ironically, and this is like a history lesson, Mr. George Reid was hired into American Freightways (now FXF) along with several former Conway executives to turn AF around, which they did. Its funny how Gaetz is 10 to 15 years behind the U.S. LTL Industry. Gaetz hired a product of the FXF / AF operating environment, that G Reid built to run the company that Mr. Reid formally ran successfully. Guys, this is the problem. We work for the only Canadian based LTL carrier in the US, and they have no idea what trucking is like south of the Great Lakes.
American Freightways was once Arkansas Freightways...Do you remember that?

Not the same story I heard. Was not here at the time but Reid tried to turn Overland/Vitran into a junior Conway just as Keylon is trying to turn Vitran into a mini Fedex. Neither of them were or have been successful. Reid got fired after just several years. Will agree that Gaetz and the Canadians have no idea how to run an LTL carrier in the USA. Vitran Canada is a joke, they use 90% owner operators and are not asset based for the most part.

Central Transport is not an upgrade for those rep's....That place is a dump in Dallas, and the Drivers hate there job. They start them at 16.50 and make them work the dock....I don't blame any man for trying to improve himself....But good grief....They should have held out for Southeastern...OD ....Estes....R&L....Hell anyboby but them....They are on our level....Maybe they can turn a profit....but they are still a nasty srubb line.

This is what I can tell you first hand. Mr. Reid and the former CNWY guys are why FXF is what it is today It is also why CK and his team know what they are doing. The struggle today, is no different than what it was for Mr. Reid 12 years ago, Gaetz would not invest the money to build the network that those two carriers have. In 2000 VTNC had the money to do so, but RG did not have the vision to do such. Unfortunately today, he may have the vision, and may have put together the right team, but does not have the the resources to see it through. Your are correct, Reid may have tried to turn Overland/Quast/Vitran into a junior CNWY. Just imagine where we would be today, had he been given the resources and time to do such. Now, 12 years later, we see ourselves without the financial resources, lead by an executive that wants to turn us into a junior FXF, that learned from the organization that was molded by Reid and his former CNWY colleagues.

Even if the company "goes under" this does not mean you are out of a job. Corp restructure in bankruptcy, down size, reset wages to the beginning and move on. Or there is a fire sale. Or the company bumps along the bottom for years while CK grinds out the change. Or CK gets the axe and someone else comes in and fixes it. ORRRR any other possible combo of an infinite amount of possibilities. No one knows what will happen. Not even Canada. Let us say Vitran U.S. gets shuttered; who can be sure even CK would know it was for sure coming. From our perspective we could argue that Canada will close it down soon or given the type of investments V Canada is involved in 22 milllion is a drop in the bucket...that there is a brave new type of logistics on the horizon and if you are patient you can be a part of it. The real question here is not in the black or the white of the topic-it is in the gray. A senior driver maxed on wages and benefits that has allowed Vitran to ruin his driving record and is a few year away from retiring anyway has no reason to leave or even worry about the question. A newer guy with no raises and clean record with another 20-30 years of driving has no business here. Those in the middle of that should also look to greener pastures.

Who says $22 million is a lot of money to Vitran anyway? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't-I for one do not know how deep Vitrans pockets are. I like the drama as much as the next guy, but these are not answerable questions. This is capitalism-A.K.A. xxxx everyone with the biggest xxxx you can find. Enjoy the ride ... so to speak.
Good Post....Hit the nail on the head for the old guys...Can't agree with all of it..... But Good Post

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI : life is grand at southeastern. I left some good folks behing at the V but glad I left when I did. I put in a lot of hours trying to make my barn a better place but continued to get shot down when trying to keep the place in decent shape. Good luck to all of you that continue the fight, I personally wish you all the best

Any of you guys looking for a job, visit your nearest Holland terminal. Was told today we will begin a hiring spree soon. Hired a couple of men last fall from vitran Memphis. Good luck Griz

How are things in Nashville?

NAS is probably the best ran break in the SE. Way ahead of Memphis (people problems)
Charlotte (horrible manager) and Atlanta (just a complete dump)
NAS manager cares and does a great job. Also has a great sales team.

NAS is probably the best ran break in the SE. Way ahead of Memphis (people problems)

Thank You, a few smart people run that joint. I wish you guys the best. When Fedex mgmt. took over I had a feeling it would take a couple of years to come back down to Planet Earth. Solve Problems that cannot be fixed here at Fedex. If you Old Fedex boys have some skills you will turn the corner with Vitran. If not, you should get into Chicago politics where you could use your amazing Smoke-blowing up the tailpipe abilities... and be appreciated for what you are. Crap or Get Off the Pot!

Really??? Do some of the qualifications of "Best-Ran" include; loading l/h trlr with freight located directly beneath a waterfall when trlr is only 50%? Bulldozing trash and debris to the front of trlr instead of using a broom? Continuously sending out l/h trlrs with incorrect placards? Hiring dock hands that cannot read or understand what "DO Not Double Stack" means? Whoever is closing out l/h trlrs at NAS must be doing so with blinders on!