Estes | Bunk Rooms

I got the cap, jacket and belt buckle too driver... You sound as though you have become one the Rob Boys there a9, wuz up...LMAO

O/O Experience. 1985-1990
Cooper--6 day extra board..1990-1996
Estes-- 3&2---2000-2003
Estes-- 2 and 1/2 laydown..--2003-2008
1/2 way M&T--2008- August 2013

I think I've worn out a couple pair of shoes...

Last edited:
I got the cap, jacket and belt buckle too driver... You sound as though you have become one the Rob Boys there a9, wuz up...LMAO

O/O Experience. 1985-1990
Cooper--6 day extra board..1990-1996
Estes-- 3&2---2000-2003
Estes-- 2 and 1/2 laydown..--2003-2008
1/2 way M&T--2008- August 2013

I think I've worn out a couple pair of shoes...
Wouldnt know him if I seen him..Im just not the type to work somewhere 20 years and be miserable as hell and talk crap about the company.If that is someones M.O.,more power to them and I wish them success at their miserable job.

Wouldnt know him if I seen him..Im just not the type to work somewhere 20 years and be miserable as hell and talk crap about the company.If that is someones M.O.,more power to them and I wish them success at their miserable job.
Just trying to liven the group up driva, I'll stop.. I see.. BTW, if you remember our PM's when you were lookin', I was never and still am not miserable... Y'all have to goodern..

I've thought recently about leaving, but only because I hate where I live. I looked into transferring, and I can't believe how few scheduled runs there are in some of the other big markets. I have a friend who left and went to OD, and his terminal has 70 more bid runs than our terminal in the same town.

I still love my job, and intend on staying here until I retire, but things like that really make you think...

You know the saying,"until you travel in my shoes".I came from a company that hasnt had a raise in 8 years,1 that shut down,and another that is a mid-level LTL carrier.Insurance is affordable,gotten a COL raise both years ive been here,and dont have to put up with much bs...What may have not suited you,suits me just fine....Enjoy your retirement,lol.
Greed

I've thought recently about leaving, but only because I hate where I live. I looked into transferring, and I can't believe how few scheduled runs there are in some of the other big markets. I have a friend who left and went to OD, and his terminal has 70 more bid runs than our terminal in the same town.

I still love my job, and intend on staying here until I retire, but things like that really make you think...
Since you brought up OD, when I came to Estes in 2000, OD was 3 cpm behind us.. They must be doing something different over at OD, cause you got people quitting, not only Estes, but all the others too go there... I have only one point to make about Estes, that I have seen over the years happening slowly.. Mismanagement of company profits must have made a turn for the worst for everyone else to be back where they were before the concessions and Estes still hasn't made up the difference.. I mean, that's pretty obvious to see wouldn't you think.. I love it at Estes, but damn, they ain't God.. And when all I can say positive about an employer, "oh well it's job", it's time to give it up.. And several people at Estes I have heard say it and all I done was say to myself, "there's no company that perfect".. But as you get older and more wise to the system, that saying becomes further and further apart... I liked what I did at Estes, I'm proud of what I did at Estes and I sleep well at night.. That's about all you can say at times..

Every year, Rob talks about us struggling to get that 95% operating ratio.

OD's was 83% this year.

Damn.
Look at the difference.. Yeah, DAMN.....
1 FEDEX FREIGHT $5,011 $5,095 1.7% Economy service had a 3.4 percent increase in shipments while
Priority shipments declined 2.0 percent.
2 CON-WAY FREIGHT $3,393 $3,466 2.2%
3 YRC FREIGHT $3,187 $3,127 -1.9% In January 2014, extended labor contract through March 2019.
4 UPS FREIGHT $2,378 $2,502 5.2% In January 2014, implemented new labor contract valid through
July 2018.
5 OLD DOMINION FREIGHT LINE $1,942 $2,126 9.5% Most profitable public LTL carrier with an operating ratio
of 85.5 percent in 2013.
6 ESTES EXPRESS LINES $1,751 $1,835 4.8% Largest privately held LTL carrier.
7 YRC REGIONAL $1,641 $1,730 5.4% Includes Holland, Reddaway, New Penn. Operating ratio
improved to 95.4 percent in 2013.
8 ABF FREIGHT SYSTEM $1,669 $1,721 3.1% In November 2013, implemented new labor contract valid through
March 2018.
9 R+L CARRIERS* $1,250 $1,298 3.8%
10 SAIA MOTOR FREIGHT LINE $1,099 $1,139 3.7% Achieved revenue growth while improving operating ratio from
94.7 percent to 93.5 percent.
11 SOUTHEASTERN FREIGHT LINES* $875 $914 4.5%
12 AVERITT EXPRESS $579 $606 4.6% Rolled out climate-controlled LTL containers in February 2014.
13 ROADRUNNER TRANSPORTATION $511 $559 9.4% Acquired Expedited Freight Systems in August 2012.
14 AAA COOPER $465 $500 7.5%
15 CENTRAL TRANSPORT INTL. $380 $488 28.4% Revenue growth tied to acquisition of Vitran Express’s U.S.
business in October 2013.
16 DAYTON FREIGHT LINES* $353 $386 9.4%
17 PITT OHIO EXPRESS $327 $362 10.9% Largest organic revenue increase among LTL carriers.
18 NEW ENGLAND MOTOR FREIGHT $351 $358 2.0% Division of Shevell Group of Companies.
19 A. DUIE PYLE* $286 $293 2.4% Achieved revenue growth while improving operating ratio.
20 CENTRAL FREIGHT LINES* $202 $208 3.0% Achieved revenue growth while improving operating ratio.
21 DAYLIGHT TRANSPORT $169 $183 8.6% Light-asset operation with concentration on the West Coast.
22 OAK HARBOR FREIGHT LINES $156 $168 7.9% Achieved revenue growth while improving operating ratio.
23 WILSON TRUCKING $150 $156 3.6%
24 NEW CENTURY TRANSPORTATION $151 $145 -4.5% Light-asset load-to-ride hybrid LTL operation.
25 WARD TRUCKING $128 $140 9.8% Returned to Top 25 list because of drop-off of Vitran.
TOTAL TOP 25 LTL CARRIERS $28,401 $29,504 3.9%
ALL OTHER LTL CARRIERS $3,576 $3,463 -3.2% Revenue decline because of Vitran Express.
TOTAL LTL MARKET $31,977 $32,967 3.1%
Note: Revenue for LTL operations only, unless otherwise indicated and include Canadian operations.
*Revenue primarily LTL and includes less than 10 percent for truckload and other services.
Source: Company reports a
Uncontrolled spending and spending at inappropriate times puts them there every time.. Trying to save a dime, they spend a dollar because it's not controlled.. Employees raises are uncontrolled because of inflation, poor planning and inadequate maintenance and having to purchase equipment at odd times, is dwindling their profits.. Looks to me like OD has a survival plan in place... Estes is still doing it by the seat of their pants..

Last edited:
Some companies hide the operating ratio better than others. My wife works at a non profit organization. They can't show any profit so what do they do?
Buy stuff like new vehicles, trucks, indoor swimming pool, give bonus checks etc.

Some companies hide the operating ratio better than others. My wife works at a non profit organization. They can't show any profit so what do they do?
Buy stuff like new vehicles, trucks, indoor swimming pool, give bonus checks etc.
The way Rob use to complain about claims, you would think he would struggle to make a 99 OR.. Of course he hides it..

He's still complaining about it. There's a high percentage in claims. I think it's the point system they use. Everyone runs wide open on the dock.

He's still complaining about it. There's a high percentage in claims. I think it's the point system they use. Everyone runs wide open on the dock.
Duh...... Maybe that's why his claims are high... Running forks through freight and such.. LOL... He'll spend a dollar to save a dime...