Estes | Bunkrooms & OSHA.

you do not have to stay in a bunkhouse with haz-mat on the dock. even if you write it off, you're still spending money on a motel that you don't have to, you will never get all that money back. had a friend that was killed 6 years ago today driving for Estes on I-83 near York Pa.

you do not have to stay in a bunkhouse with haz-mat on the dock. even if you write it off, you're still spending money on a motel that you don't have to, you will never get all that money back. had a friend that was killed 6 years ago today driving for Estes on I-83 near York Pa.

Sorry to hear about your friend cruiser461.......

Get as many of them drivers to foot their own motel bill and they get to keep more of that 70+ million dollars of profit in their own pockets. Say what you all want about the west side but we ain't got no sticking bunkhouses, get fairly decent motel rooms and in cali get paid for all work performed. Not too bad of a place to work if I say so myself.
never happen as long as drivers pay for the motel get some balls and tell you are going motel on them

Oh and if they ever could figure out how to run the freight they would not have to have 30 trucks sitting in a hotel like they do at Indy any given day. Saw probably 20 sitting in Chi Town Fri night on my way to Minn.

to illuminati andflyingby.keep making post like that and yall wont have many friends on here.estes east drivers have no bagonias. by the way i am with you.

to illuminati andflyingby.keep making post like that and yall wont have many friends on here.estes east drivers have no bagonias. by the way i am with you.
Thanks Donut for the advice I quit posting on this forum for the most part because any time you say anything negative you get piled on by all the ones who think that E does no wrong or are satisfied with what they believe to be a fair shake. I just had to throw my 2 cents in so that those who are tired of seeing themselves in less than standard housing at the service of this company generating 70+ million dollars in profit last year (even though they still cry poverty) can see for themselves that there is no rational reason to accept it. And while I am on my soapbox may I just say that I am not against anybody making a profit, that is what almost every business is there to do and this one could make a heck of a lot more as well as address some of there shortcomings if they would quit wasting so much of what I see wasted daily.Good day and safe trucking I,m out roger.

Thanks Donut for the advice I quit posting on this forum for the most part because any time you say anything negative you get piled on by all the ones who think that E does no wrong or are satisfied with what they believe to be a fair shake. I just had to throw my 2 cents in so that those who are tired of seeing themselves in less than standard housing at the service of this company generating 70+ million dollars in profit last year (even though they still cry poverty) can see for themselves that there is no rational reason to accept it. And while I am on my soapbox may I just say that I am not against anybody making a profit, that is what almost every business is there to do and this one could make a heck of a lot more as well as address some of there shortcomings if they would quit wasting so much of what I see wasted daily.Good day and safe trucking I,m out roger.

It's an illusion that happens at Big E. I for one used to be way over the top pro company when I used to work here.
It's a great company if your rolling. That's it. Everything else is whatever. Bunkhouses that are still in use are crazy IMO.
Just some advice. Life is short and there are way greener fields.

I have bigger problems then with those Bunkhouses, all those different categories make no sense, but like you say if your rolling its not a bad place, but now we are slow and not fun this time year. And I thought as a Truck Driver if you ain't complaining about something you ain't no Truck Driver.
I know I have not made many friends on here but ohh well, everyone is allowed their opinion in a so called Free Country last I knew....
By the way one time I heard one of these guys from the East talkin how Rob wishes he never bought GI just gave him whole new set of problems.

I agree with ya FLyBy. I used to think E was the real deal.
I'm in a way better spot and hope everyone finds that happy place.

the only problem i see with thepurchase of gi and the whole west coast is that they have to run it differently then the estes east. they cant bully those guys.it looks to and sounds to me they have it pretty good over there.

Bellyache or standing up for yourself? Whatever your perception is it is better than just rolling over like a spineless dweeb. Just saying not pointing fingers.

I don't know much about the west division but the way I understood it. GI was struggling and had trouble just making payroll. Their equipment was getting older and not being fixed. Big E took the risk of bailing them out and took on the debt and employees. They patched up most of the raggedy equipment and got rid of some. They named the division "West" and bumped the pay up a bit, which was probably the thing to do since y'all were already getting a little more (so I hear).
Over here in the east everyone knew what they were getting into before they filled out the application and went home and waited anxiously by the phone.
I've seen a few former employees here in the east that thought they had a spine using those backbones trying to get the 3000 pound pallets on the liftgate of the 53' trailer at AutoZone or getting a running start to get the skid of canned goods up the ramp at the local grocery store.
I've ran extraboard for years and seldom seen a check under $1500. Most were much more. I had big bills and 2 kids like everyone else. I knew about the bunkrooms. I stayed in a few but not many. I thought I was paid enough to buy a room if needed. I had a mortgage note over a grand and two vehicles at home totaling over $60K. A boat, motorcycle 3 lawnmowers, flatscreens, new beds, furniture, added decks and rooms to the house. My kids were involved in everything which required new shoes, clothes etc. I still managed to take vacations without cutting corners. Not that I was trying to keep up with the Jones's or anyone one else but I'm winding down now and fixin to join the debt free world although currently looking for a bigger home to have something nicer to leave behind for the youngsters.
Maybe I don't see the big picture but I'm just an idiot that didn't have the patience for college and did a hurry up 4 week course at a trucking school. I think averaging over $30 an hour for hours worked without stress,
thinking and 0 strenuous activity isn't too bad for a "spineless dweeb" like me.

I don't know much about the west division but the way I understood it. GI was struggling and had trouble just making payroll. Their equipment was getting older and not being fixed. Big E took the risk of bailing them out and took on the debt and employees. They patched up most of the raggedy equipment and got rid of some. They named the division "West" and bumped the pay up a bit, which was probably the thing to do since y'all were already getting a little more (so I hear).
Over here in the east everyone knew what they were getting into before they filled out the application and went home and waited anxiously by the phone.
I've seen a few former employees here in the east that thought they had a spine using those backbones trying to get the 3000 pound pallets on the liftgate of the 53' trailer at AutoZone or getting a running start to get the skid of canned goods up the ramp at the local grocery store.
I've ran extraboard for years and seldom seen a check under $1500. Most were much more. I had big bills and 2 kids like everyone else. I knew about the bunkrooms. I stayed in a few but not many. I thought I was paid enough to buy a room if needed. I had a mortgage note over a grand and two vehicles at home totaling over $60K. A boat, motorcycle 3 lawnmowers, flatscreens, new beds, furniture, added decks and rooms to the house. My kids were involved in everything which required new shoes, clothes etc. I still managed to take vacations without cutting corners. Not that I was trying to keep up with the Jones's or anyone one else but I'm winding down now and fixin to join the debt free world although currently looking for a bigger home to have something nicer to leave behind for the youngsters.
Maybe I don't see the big picture but I'm just an idiot that didn't have the patience for college and did a hurry up 4 week course at a trucking school. I think averaging over $30 an hour for hours worked without stress,
thinking and 0 strenuous activity isn't too bad for a "spineless dweeb" like me.
It's all about being happy with what you have.

I knew what I was getting into over 11 years ago, and with the changes made a few years back we got screwed, that is all I have to say!!

I am glad you have done well for yourself driver as I have as well. I always find it amazing though the BS the Estes drivers were fed or the rumor mill perpetuated about GI.Most of it is so far from the truth.The only thing that has any merit was the age of the equipment but that same equipment was well maintained by some very good mechanics whom most departed after the acquisition due to cut in pay and loss of most allowances.Much better than the crop of flunkies that Estes has hired to replace them with.One of the benefits of being part of the E is the newer equipment no doubt. As far as any significant risk on the part of E acquiring that company I doubt that Mr. E risked much of anything for he knew exactly what he was getting. Don't take things so personal driver just because I believe that when I go on the road for this company that I expect them to provide me with a place to get my lawfully required rest and if they want that to be a bunk room then so be it but it needs to be up to lawful standards and I think that anybody that would not expect the same has no spine and is willing to let this company take advantage of them. You are entitled to your own opinion which I will try to respect but I stand firm in mine. Happy house hunting I am looking to do the downsize thing myself in the next couple of years.

gi may have had bad equiptment , but what we are driving now is not much better. they dont want to pay quilfied mechanics. i had my truck in atlanta for a week for service got it back this past mondayand barely made it to mobile with the u joint falling out.the yard i work out of is either dry dust bowl or a sloppy mudpit.i make decent money, nothing great.we still havent got back alll that they took from us. they dont even talk about it. i think that they hope we forget about it.

"I have been hearing rumors from several drivers at several terminals about OSHA closing down bunkrooms mostly because they have to be detached from the office/dock and be a certain distance away from any haz-mat. "

hahaha, ya right. They dont give a flock about us.

Last edited by a moderator: