Estes | Bunkrooms

[quote author=Beerboy link=topic=82113.msg848184#msg848184 date=1279463798]
You will at top pay make over 100 k. Good luck !
[/quote]

wow, that's way more than i thought i could ever make! i'll be okay with 75k (at top pay that is)
anyways, thanks to all for all the info you sure have been of great help.
now, as far as insurance any of you know how much is it for the family plan? is it any good? also, how many paid holidays do you guys get?
thanks again...

[quote author=mildew link=topic=82113.msg848136#msg848136 date=1279454642]
:biglaugh: Now c'mon, ya'all aint insinuating that our multi-billion dollar outfit are a little too relaxed about playing the d.o.t. game are ya. It could be worse, I delivered to a ups terminal once. I had to read 2 pages of bla, bla then sign it. Had to put a red vest on. I then was handed this big orange cone I had to put it in my daycab with me. I aint never
[/quote]

I'll give you that one. It's nice that they are not regimental to a point of over doing things for safety, but for the sake of themselves and the driver,they sure need to clamp down on alot of the small stuff, as the csa 2010 will put them and us drivers in a hurt real fast

We have a good safety record. That's one of the biggest reasons we don't catch alot of heat. This is the most relaxed company i've ever worked for. That's a good thing for me. I never was a big time safety freak. We'd better hush before we ruin our reputation. Since Estes only hires the few and the elete, it should never be a problem. lol

Well like I said driver if ya want to make 100k then you can at Estes. Its all how you play the game. Some guys eat live and sleep Estes and they are some of the bigger money guys there. Like I said its all what you want ! If ya want 75 then that is what you will do

You won't understand till you work there awhile, these other guys know what I saying. Estes is a weird place its real old school kinda. If you want it then get it -if not who cares and that is the whole companies approach to things. No hand holding at ALL ! You want it then do it if not another driver will-- and if he won't they will get a contractor ....lol no pressure company

....well said BB. I made in the 70's running extra and I may have worked 1 weekend a year. Maybe.... If I wanted to make $100k running every weekend it was there. It was slow the last couple of years but it probably wont get that bad again. I gross $1200 fiddle fart'n with the local junk and have the option to add an extra $600 and run the weekend if desired. Your 100% about hand holding. Our retirement sucks but I don't know of many retired drivers happy with the mediocre paystubs they're getting anyhow. I think I'll just run a 1/2 way Birmingham or something when I don't feel like working anymore. :thumbsup:

They have 3 different options to choose from. You'll probably have to wait 90 days before you make a decission on what plan you want

Thanks to all you guys, you have been of great help!!! :thumbsup:
I'll let you know how my first day goes; I'm to start monday night, ride along with a driver, layover and then back to terminal and possible go back out with him if necessary.
Again, thanks a lot...

Good luck and keep an open mind. If you don't care they (central) will run your tires off if you b I t c h then you will see your miles drop quick ! And be safe. Remember keep an open mind.

Guys I am in the same position as nctruckdriver, I am in the middle of hiring on at Stafford VA, the tm has told me 75k is easy and after working for Fedex Freight and Conway, I am well versed in playing certain games. I have been moving groceries for 3 yrs my body hurts and I am always tired, I liked line haul before and am really looking forward to working at Estes. Every thread I have read has been very positive and filed with good advice.

Welcome aboard dlance71. Smart move gettin away from all that manual labor. Hardest thing I do here is putting my dolly on+off my lead. TM is pretty close on that figure too. I'm gonna be right at that number too Lord willing.

Good to hear dlance71. I'd bet 3 paychecks you'll like it better here. I spent many moons in Stafford when I ran extraboard. The good thing about the northeast is the terminals are close and they always have freight to move which makes it easy to get over 600 miles a day if you want to run like that.

Thanks guys I appreciate it, I loved running ltl before and after the last 3 yrs I am tired of unloading 48ft's packed to the gills with water and gatorade. To answer your other question if i am out I might as well make money I will go anywhere they want. :shift:

[quote author=dlance71 link=topic=82113.msg853663#msg853663 date=1280671427]
I loved running ltl before and after the last 3 yrs I am tired of unloading 48ft's packed to the gills with water and gatorade. To answer your other question if i am out I might as well make money I will go anywhere they want. :shift:
[/quote]

i know that feeling brother, i did that for many years...i'm only 27 and already have a bad back and ankles because of it.
good luck and we'll see you out there...

ok, so my training is over. I went out twice with another driver (one layover and one half way meet) stayed at bunkrooms which in my opinion it wasn't that bad. did a small load on friday night (about 380 miles) and did okay. my assigned truck is one of those old internationals (2002 i think) that thing is so loud inside i couldn't hear my own thoughts!! they have one of the newer internationals that is unassigned maybe if i ask the tm he would let me use it other than that i think i'm going to love this job. i still get confused when hooking a set, i'm so used to fedex ground pups opening and closing valves (besides it's been a while since i've done it)
btw, does anybody know the website used to buy uniforms? the tm said he would give it to me but he's going on vacation next week, he said all i would need was my employee # which i already have (actually have like 3 numbers, employee, terminal employee and driver number)
can somebody please give a step-by-step on hooking up a set just to make sure i'm doing it right
thanks a lot

Were you able to see the recent training video that covers that very subject?
I think it was the training module for July ,so, you may have come in just after it.

Your TM should have a copy.

The way I do it.
1. Make sure your tail is the lightest.
2. Place it somewhere you have room to work with or leave it where it is if it's out of the way and not uphill.
3. Find a good dolly and hook to it with your tractor (numbers starting with 93 seem to do better imop)
4. place it about a foot in front of your rear pup.
5. grab your lead and back up to the dolly. (probably have to get out and check a few times until you've got it masterd.
8. move the lip on the rear of the lead pup to its open position and drop the dolly in it. (the lip wont move unless you've set the trailer brakes)
9. check the height of the rear pup so your dolly will lock securely.
10. back your dolly under the rear pup and drag it forward to make sure it's locked.
11. Put yor flashers on.
12. hook you chains, hook your read and blue lines on the bottom to your lead pup and your top lines to your rear. (they will work either way but you want them to move freely in a tight turn. you can also hook them straight if their is a problem with an airline)
13. Hook your power cord and turn your air valve off on your dolly. (some dollys have a push valve but most turn) Check lights

14. I always go back to the cab and release everything but the tractor brakes (on flat ground) and listen for airleaks before I leave.

15. Make sure you write it down on your pay sheet

[quote author=bubbadog121 link=topic=82113.msg853944#msg853944 date=1280707156]
Were you able to see the recent training video that covers that very subject?
I think it was the training module for July ,so, you may have come in just after it.

Your TM should have a copy.
[/quote]

i believe i did, but then again i saw so many videos and so much going on that i don't think i really captured all of it
i have a little bit of experience but it's been about 6 yrs since i've done it