Yellow | Buy or Rent?

shoeman

Modulator
Credits
I'm with Holland so I dont know all the ins and outs of your ops, but when you guys "follow" work do you usually buy homes or just rent? Seems like some of you have been through this in the recent past!

When I came to Chicago, not on a Coo, but as new hire in 94. We rented for 2 years. Made sure we got in the area, school district, etc... that We wanted, Then we bought a house. Based on what the woman told us when I was hired on and we had questions about layoffs here in Chicago, she informed us that they were minimal, because this was a major freight area, and just to consider this a prison sentence with no parole. So, it just is a presonal preference, some can't stand apts., maybe prefer a condo or renting/buying a house, right off the bat. My bother-in-law worked for such as MCI, ATT Worldcom, and such, and they always went from one house to another, each state that they moved too, but more than once, they ended up moving in with friends, when their house sold faster than they were able to find one, or could build. So, you have to just figure out what options you prefer, and go from there. Good Luck to all those on the move!

I just cant see buying a house with uncertainty in the future like that. I bought my house before YRC and i will find another job before i move, so thats where i'm coming from! If I was single it might be a different story. I know alot of you guys move quite often to follow the work thats why I was asking! Best of luck to all!:1036316054:

I understand completely, having a wife and 4 sons, it is a daunting process. I came on board before the YRC merger, and had bought my house also, but like I said, it was after we were here in the area for a bit to make sure. Being that we moved 300+miles to here for the job. (Was the 1st move so on us), And I have been fortunate so far that I haven't had to deal with a layoff or major relocation. Running the road w/sleepers. I was use to moving around being in the military for 20 years, but was single or divorced during those years. But, I re-married and we moved from where we were both born and raised. I am not sure how my sister & brother-in-law stood it, as they have 4 sons also, and numerous moves and job changes. They muddled through one day at a time. Best of luck too those coming and going! :smilie_132:, :1036316054:

NEVER buy in the first 6 months. Get the lay of the land and feel the drift of the job first.
Based on those, make a decision to buy or continue waiting.

In the above poll, is the TM male or female???

NEVER buy in the first 6 months. Get the lay of the land and feel the drift of the job first.
Based on those, make a decision to buy or continue waiting.

In the above poll, is the TM male or female???
Male or female?? Hmmm... youre leaving yourself wide open on that one driver!!:hysterical:

i'm at my 3rd terminal in 2 1/2 years.....always going to have roommates at work and always going to pay 1/3 or 1/2 on rent.......if you're smart you'd put as much of your money in the bank cause 23 hr is hard to find nowadays and think of this job as a day to day operation, one day freight is pouring in and you're forced OT every day and the next day you're waiting for your name on the phone bid

i'm at my 3rd terminal in 2 1/2 years.....always going to have roommates at work and always going to pay 1/3 or 1/2 on rent.......if you're smart you'd put as much of your money in the bank cause 23 hr is hard to find nowadays and think of this job as a day to day operation, one day freight is pouring in and you're forced OT every day and the next day you're waiting for your name on the phone bid
Every job in this industry is day to day right now, we arent alone brother. Believe me, it will get worse before it gets better!!! Have faith my friend!:1036316054: