FedEx Freight | Buyout Worries Watkins Workers

TEXASEMPLOYEE said:
mrblanche said:
And answers about end of the line (company) hub drivers?
End of the line company drivers will remain in place. line haul and p&d. When hub operations came up there seemed to be an awkward pause. I'm not sure if it was completely answered or if I zoned out. From everything else that was being said I can't see the position staying. National will be handling the non expedite non delivery guarantee freight in the 3 day plus lanes which from what I understand will overlap some with the 2 day FDXF lanes. It will be at a lower rate because FDXN can sit on it and load the trailers high and tight therefore making up the revenue difference. The way Doug presented it made it seem like a big puzzle and FDXN completed one corner.

mrblanche said:
With a little planning, single drivers can move freight nearly as fast as a team. I'm a solo O/O linehaul contractor, and while I do a lot of freight out of a breakbulk terminal to an end-of-line terminal, I also move a lot of freight that is going on. For example, the two trailers I brought out of Louisville Friday night and dropped in Memphis are both going on west, as is, with no break-out.

In fact, I can make the trip from Dallas to El Paso in one shift, take a break, and come back. If trailers are going on, it's no big deal to take them into the terminal and have another driver take them on.

But who knows for sure what will develop?
Let me see if I understand you.You say you can start in Dal and go to Elp,take a break and go back to Dal .Is that in one day?

cch6874 said:
Let me see if I understand you.You say you can start in Dal and go to Elp,take a break and go back to Dal .Is that in one day?
I think what the driver said is that he can run to El Paso from Dallas ,Take his 10hrs rest and return to Dallas.

Huckleberry said:
TEXASEMPLOYEE said:
National will be handling the non expedite non delivery guarantee freight in the 3 day plus lanes which from what I understand will overlap some with the 2 day FDXF lanes.

I'm not counting on that "non guarantee" to last; I know one of the phrases used last week was "bring certainty to the longhaul market". I'd say the guarantee will be coming on soon to match the rest of the company.

Depends on what the guarantee is. DHL guarantees that it will take 3 days for my package to go ground 120 miles to St Louis. For this reason someone else is taking it. Point being maybe FDXNs guarantee in the same lane will be a day longer than FDXF but the customer gets a lower rate.

cch6874 said:

That's in two driving shifts and a 10-hour break. Legally logged in 31 hours.

ETexSanta said:
B.S.! When we were American Freightways our insurance was in house and the company picked up the whole cost. Since FedEx bought us we have changed to outside insurance providers and our cost has substantialy gone up each year.

:moped:
Yes why does the medical go up every year when the company makes record profits every year. I know some guys at freight aren't happy about the purchase. They wanna know why they didn't get a bigger raise but they can afford to buy another ltl outfit for around a billion dollars. If the rumor is true that fedex is going to buy out the O/O that's gonna suck for them. It's gonna mean a huge pay cut. Eventually for them as hourly employees they can expect their hours to get cut as well.

top cat said:
whats wrong with more trucks,computers,trailers,freight,more drivers better pay.
Thats what happend at Viking freight
Yes when you bring on more PUD drivers you end up cutting hours. As the freight volumes went up they trained dock guys to be driver's and brought on new hires and the hours of work got smaller which meant a decrease in take home pay. That's what happened at Viking Freight.

Huckleberry said:
Very positive meeting in Orlando last night. Got to meet the top 2 guys at FedEx freight. Every one of my issues were addressed, and personally I am stoked. Like Doug said "You're basically working for the same company as far as culture, pay, and benefits.
The only difference is that your backed by a $32,000,000,000.00 company. Wow, that's a lot of zeros. The future looks very bright for ALL FedEx employees. What a package we now offer. I think it's going to be great being one of the big boys on the block.
what exactly did they say about your meeting and specifically about the benefits for us contractors who are converting over to company drivers

jawn113 said:
Yes why does the medical go up every year when the company makes record profits every year. I know some guys at freight aren't happy about the purchase. They wanna know why they didn't get a bigger raise but they can afford to buy another ltl outfit for around a billion dollars. If the rumor is true that fedex is going to buy out the O/O that's gonna suck for them. It's gonna mean a huge pay cut. Eventually for them as hourly employees they can expect their hours to get cut as well.

Wow are you saying fedex should have wacked up 750mil dollars with us? I really dont think so.:duh:
Also how big was the raise? I havent been told how much mine is. I think there going to tell me on 06-06-06WOW maybe thats a sign. Just how much is enough?
We are in the top 5 highest paying ltl companies in the USA. How can anyone bitch about the money we make?:wavey: Have a great weekend.:nutkick:

Pompano said:
Wow are you saying fedex should have wacked up 750mil dollars with us? I really dont think so.:duh:
Also how big was the raise? I havent been told how much mine is. I think there going to tell me on 06-06-06WOW maybe thats a sign. Just how much is enough?
We are in the top 5 highest paying ltl companies in the USA. How can anyone bitch about the money we make?: Have a great weekend.
:smilie_132: Hey pompano some guys just expect too much! :tongue0007: No one expected $750 million, don't be ridiculous.:chairshot: A lot of guys bitch just to bitch no matter what they're paid or what they do.

If the rumor is true that fedex is going to buy out the O/O that's gonna suck for them. It's gonna mean a huge pay cut. Eventually for them as hourly employees they can expect their hours to get cut as well.

i've heard rumors that the p& d contractors may have seniority from start date, and could pick a line haul job anyone hear this also.:wavey:

i doubt that would happen

im a P&D driver for fedx freight in florida i really doubt that would happen.. as of now and early future they would operate as an independent entity under fedex freight...

I'm with mitch on this , there is no way FEDEX is going to do something like that.
Also welcome aboard ''mitch''

Smokestack

i would like to say that now the buy out is over
and there is no more rumor i am excited to see what takes place i am sur it will take a while to change but fed ex has a great name and i am ready to work and make there goals a part of my job we make good money and have great benifits if you have to work in this world you might as well be a part of a winning team 2 jobs in 18 years and a clean driving record i hate changes as much as any one but no complaints here lets do it just be happy you didnt work for super -t they closed down friday and didnt pay there employees thats the word good luck to all in your futher no matter what happens enjoy weekends .vacations and your family time and pray that you have your health

bigsal said:
If the rumor is true that fedex is going to buy out the O/O that's gonna suck for them. It's gonna mean a huge pay cut. Eventually for them as hourly employees they can expect their hours to get cut as well.

i've heard rumors that the p& d contractors may have seniority from start date, and could pick a line haul job anyone hear this also.:wavey:
According to what Doug said in the meeting last week they would not hold any seniority. The only question about the start dates was to apply them toward benefits and vacation time. Doug did not have an answer for that and said they would toss the idea around. As far as being hired, they would be hired to fill the vacancy left by them not being a contractor so I wouldn't expect many of them to go linehaul.