R&L | buyout???

Heard one today! A customer told me that saia has been buying r+l terminals through out the mid west and mostly in the upper mid west. They told me how good saia is doing and let me know they took 9 bills from them. We got 1. We were geting 5-6 a day from them. Now we are the joke in town! Has anyone heard about us selling off?

Yes that is one way, so for the night roughly 34 mins.

The question is what does R&L pay for that same run? Is it more or less than what the FXF driver gets and if so how much of a difference? Times that by the day, week ,month, year and see what you end up with. On mileage alone FXF would pay 1296.372 per week for this run + drops, hooks, fuel and delay pay (or dock for those of us that chose to work it) I usually end up with 1650-1750 gross a week and log around 55-57 hrs.

1/2 hr more at work is sometimes worth the extra pay, if I wanted a fast truck and low pay I would have stayed running long haul and got me a shiny wheeler, lol.

FM

Thats interesting you work 57 hours per week and your i.d. is 'Familyman'. You must not leave the house without them on the weekend. I make my $1000 in 45 and go home.

Heard one today! A customer told me that saia has been buying r+l terminals through out the mid west and mostly in the upper mid west. They told me how good saia is doing and let me know they took 9 bills from them. We got 1. We were geting 5-6 a day from them. Now we are the joke in town! Has anyone heard about us selling off?

They could very well be buying terminals from R+L. R+L Properties owns vacant terminals all over the country. If I'm not mistaken, we bought alot of CCC's terminals and equipment when they closed. We're not like alot of other companies that have a terminal in every other town. (Although I think we should to service the freight better.) I know that we have quite a few terminals that are being leased out. Whether they are old terminals, or areas that we don't need one. I must say though, they sure do things differant around here.:shifty:

R&L bought all the properties when Preston went down and also all the properties from the closing of another company based out of Denver CO. They own a lot of property that they lease out to other carriers.

R&L bought all the properties when Preston went down and also all the properties from the closing of another company based out of Denver CO. They own a lot of property that they lease out to other carriers.
If R&L is a publicly traded company, owning property is a serious liability. Many times the purchase price for such a company is less then the value of what the company owns. T. Boone Pickens would love to find a company like that. He specializes in buying them and selling off the assests. I you remember PIE, they were purchased by Ryder for just that reason. Guess where PIE is today.

Its kind of funny R & L owns an old Preston terminal in Rochester New York,thats rented out to two non-union regional companies.

But R & L services Rochester out of Buffalo,and Syracuse New York.
They don't have any Rochester terminal to bring their freight to.
I think this is kind of odd,seeing they would be able to service their Rochester accounts,and grow their business a lot better if they had a terminal to work out of here,in Rochester.

Its kind of funny R & L owns an old Preston terminal in Rochester New York,thats rented out to two non-union regional companies.

But R & L services Rochester out of Buffalo,and Syracuse New York.
They don't have any Rochester terminal to bring their freight to.
I think this is kind of odd,seeing they would be able to service their Rochester accounts,and grow their business a lot better if they had a terminal to work out of here,in Rochester.
Why spend the money on a extra building and personel.. When it can be serviced by a rolling dock..... Lots of extended routes most average 400 miles a day...... And thats the R&L way!!!!!!!!

Hello Apostolic, former wegmans driver here. Is freight in Rochester dried up since GM and kodak move out? My buddies at wegmans were busy but, they opened a non-union whse in PA and gave them syracuse produce runs and it hurt Roch whse hard

I talk with a guy that drives for Wegmans on weekends,and for a welknown LTL company during the week.
I know he reads the truckinboards so thats why I'm not posting what LTL company he works for.

Well he says a lot of wegmans driver out of the PA. warehouse are getting into wreaks.

I said I guess if you cheap out the wage of your drivers you'll get cheaper drivers,that don't have a lot of years turning a steering wheel.

In other words you usually get what you pay for.

?sounds like your impling a union card can keep you out of a wreck. I'd like to see a non-biased study on that...... Union non-biased..... right.

That's right. They are getting what the pay for. My dad is a wegmans weekender too, retired from GM. I guess they'll figure it out when their insurance costs and equipment damages finally out weigh the cost of an experienced driver pool. but I dought it

then again, back when I started at wegmans they wanted 5yrs experience, but they hired me at age 20 in 88', with 2 yrs sperience. I got called by roadway the same week and I'm still mad at dad for saying "better go with wegmans, roadway could close anyday" i could have transferred south with roadway and have 20 yrs in now. what if's what if's

I'm a city driver for UPS Freight out of Rochester New York.
Who do you work for Montana NY.
We may know each other?
You can private message me,if you don't want to put it in an open post.

So far I know four drivers on these forums that are drivers in Rochester.
One works with me,and the others work at Conway,NEMF,and New Penn.

Ha,ha and you all thought I didn't have any friends outside of this truckingboard.

I'm a city driver for UPS Freight out of Rochester New York.
Who do you work for Montana NY.
We may know each other?
You can private message me,if you don't want to put it in an open post.

So far I know four drivers on these forums that are drivers in Rochester.
One works with me,and the others work at Conway,NEMF,and New Penn.

Ha,ha and you all thought I didn't have any friends outside of this truckingboard.

I'm your friend! :smilie_132: