ABF | ByLines

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5115

Tyson Johnson honored by ABF as man of the century. Big gala even coming in his honor.
johnson.jpg

ABF announces increase in claims for the second year in a row. No ::shit::! What, they expected the same quality for a lower price? You gotta be kidding me. :idunno:This is a trend that I can assure you they need to get accustomed to.

The claims increased at NLR when many dock workers left after Roy Slagle's announced that the terminal would be closed & moved to Memphis. Mechanics, dock workers & even management left. That was about 3 years ago & construction still hasn't started on the Memphis expansion. Surprise Surprise! The company couldn't find qualified mechanics & dock workers to replace those that left. At one time there were many applications for jobs on file at NLR. Maybe some of management team has learned they can't run the company without hourly employees. Workers aren't standing in line for jobs at ABF. There is a shortage of skilled employees across the country. The companies that survive in the future will attract & retain good employees today.
Whatever the reason for the announcement of the move it has hurt the reputation of the company in this area.

Will they wake up before their arrogance gets the best of the company?

The claims increased at NLR when many dock workers left after Roy Slagle's announced that the terminal would be closed & moved to Memphis. Mechanics, dock workers & even management left. That was about 3 years ago & construction still hasn't started on the Memphis expansion. Surprise Surprise! The company couldn't find qualified mechanics & dock workers to replace those that left. At one time there were many applications for jobs on file at NLR. Maybe some of management team has learned they can't run the company without hourly employees. Workers aren't standing in line for jobs at ABF. There is a shortage of skilled employees across the country. The companies that survive in the future will attract & retain good employees today.
Whatever the reason for the announcement of the move it has hurt the reputation of the company in this area.
They seem to be able to understand the need to keep upper management pay and compensation commensurate with the industry but can't seem to apply that same thinking to labor.

They seem to be able to understand the need to keep upper management pay and compensation commensurate with the industry but can't seem to apply that same thinking to labor.

Well,.......That's the whole point. The entire reason this company exists is to make the major shareholders, and a few select people at the top,........wealthy.

It's merely incidental that we haul freight.......And,.....if customer service happpens,........well, that's great......... as long as it didn't cost anything.

Pretty much all companies are run the same nowadays. No clue at the top what goes on down on the factory floor,.....or loading dock,......or warehouse,........

But as long as earnings keep rising ( by any means, including slashing pay/service/safety/quality.....,).....then everything is fine.

ABF is becoming an investment company rather than a trucking company. A look around the battlefield reveals what happens when an investment company tries to run a freight company...it generally doesn't pan out too well. Robert Young III is leaving altogether, which brings a close to the family owned chapter of the company. As his involvement in the company has diminished so have the conditions that we work under. Coincidence? I think not, I'll wish him a long and happy retirement and credit him for making the place what it has been for the time I have been here. :guiness: All good things must come to pass and I consider myself fortunate enough to have been around for some of the best years of the company and some of the 'better than they are today' years of the union. Those who have more than just a year or two until their retirement have my deepest sympathies. But many of these new hires are oblivious as to what it was vs what it is and where it is headed.

ABF is becoming an investment company rather than a trucking company. A look around the battlefield reveals what happens when an investment company tries to run a freight company...it generally doesn't pan out too well. Robert Young III is leaving altogether, which brings a close to the family owned chapter of the company. As his involvement in the company has diminished so have the conditions that we work under. Coincidence? I think not, I'll wish him a long and happy retirement and credit him for making the place what it has been for the time I have been here. :guiness: All good things must come to pass and I consider myself fortunate enough to have been around for some of the best years of the company and some of the 'better than they are today' years of the union. Those who have more than just a year or two until their retirement have my deepest sympathies. But many of these new hires are oblivious as to what it was vs what it is and where it is headed.

Our sentiments exactly, Brother. And......I was thinking around next June 1st,......which gives me a year......

I'm sure they'll be happy to see me go,.......crotchety old smart-aleck that I am.......

Too knowledgeable about the contract,...... Too concerned with safety,......customer service.........doing things right the first time slowly,.....instead of doing them over three times quickly.........Too knowledgeable of the FMSCA rules,......as I actually carry a book, ...and have READ it........

Yup. They don't need me around. I'm an impediment to profits........They need these new breed, who will cut each other's legs off to get in the manager's good graces........Who have never read the contract,.........or the FMSCA guide,.........Ignorance is bliss.....Who are only concerned with having the fastest truck and getting the most O.T........Never heard of "Solidarity"........

Bring on the new breed, and get rid of the old dinosaurs(me)........

Got a year to put up with my smirking, be-whiskered , wrinkled puss.........Maybe they'll install a Memorial Wheelchair ramp when I retire.......

I have heard over the years the one thing Robert Young would not tolerate from management is to promise to do something & not do it. I had the opportunity to be around R.A. Young IV a short time before he passed away. He said his dad didn't like dishonesty from family or anybody. If you made a mistake own up to it.
If not for his death I am sure there would still be a Young family member involved with the company. He was a respectful young man. On one occasion he heard a supervisor trying to impress him by cursing an hourly employee. He called that supervisor aside & taught him a lesson about respect. As far as I know that supervisor never cursed anybody on the job again. The company could use some of those values today.

Our sentiments exactly, Brother. And......I was thinking around next June 1st,......which gives me a year......

I'm sure they'll be happy to see me go,.......crotchety old smart-aleck that I am.......

Too knowledgeable about the contract,...... Too concerned with safety,......customer service.........doing things right the first time slowly,.....instead of doing them over three times quickly.........Too knowledgeable of the FMSCA rules,......as I actually carry a book, ...and have READ it........

Yup. They don't need me around. I'm an impediment to profits........They need these new breed, who will cut each other's legs off to get in the manager's good graces........Who have never read the contract,.........or the FMSCA guide,.........Ignorance is bliss.....Who are only concerned with having the fastest truck and getting the most O.T........Never heard of "Solidarity"........

Bring on the new breed, and get rid of the old dinosaurs(me)........

Got a year to put up with my smirking, be-whiskered , wrinkled puss.........Maybe they'll install a Memorial Wheelchair ramp when I retire.......
I read all these posts from drivers the were with this company for a long time & everything being said is negative toward the current regime. Someone needs to steep up to the plate & take back control of this company, if not its just a matter of time before ABF is a thing of the past.

Canary you need to stay on the job just to keep management on their toes & to keep junior men on nights longer so they will appreciate seniority. I was asked by a young employee who wanted to come to the day shift when I was going to retire. I told him I was going to get a room at the nursing home near the terminal & ride a motorized wheel chair to work when I could no longer pass a driver's test.

I read all these posts from drivers the were with this company for a long time & everything being said is negative toward the current regime. Someone needs to steep up to the plate & take back control of this company, if not its just a matter of time before ABF is a thing of the past.

The problem is, Brother,........... Who do you give the company back to? As stated above, there are no more Robert Young's out there......... anywhere. The old rough, gruff, HONEST style of managing,...........where respect was given and gotten in return,......well, that's a "dinosaur" too.

I've worked for a lot of different companies, and when I came here 25 years ago,......I was told by the TM that this was a different company, that respected your judgement and experience,.......... And I thought: "Yeah,.......tell it to the Marines, and pull the other one.....,Another load of corporate hogwash........".

Took about 3 years to convince myself that....... Sonofagun! Maybe he was right! Not saying they were angels,........we still had our knockdown drag out battles,........bit if you proved your point, they RESPECTED that!

No hidden agendas,..... No secret meetings with competitors during negotiations to be leaked out to throw contract elections.........No soft smile to the face while inserting the knife in the back.........

This is the new breed of high-powered management.......... Who regard the Labor force as some sort of sub-human sub-literate clump of protoplasm to be cajoled , tricked and " managed" into performing like an OSHA approved Circus monkey. No respect involved..........none needed for Circus monkeys.

As long as those monkeys can press the right buttons on the PDA, the ELD, and can find the right buttonholes on their non-Union, Made in Guatemala uniforms..........Why, we have great metrics! Freight? Huh? Computer says we have the right amount of street and dock time ,......so we MUST be making a profit. Who needs Freight?

And if we aren't making a profit........well , those monkeys must need further training on proper button pushing. Gotta be their fault, they're just dumb deisel monkeys.........especially the old apes....,..

The problem is, Brother,........... Who do you give the company back to? As stated above, there are no more Robert Young's out there......... anywhere. The old rough, gruff, HONEST style of managing,...........where respect was given and gotten in return,......well, that's a "dinosaur" too.

I've worked for a lot of different companies, and when I came here 25 years ago,......I was told by the TM that this was a different company, that respected your judgement and experience,.......... And I thought: "Yeah,.......tell it to the Marines, and pull the other one.....,Another load of corporate hogwash........".

Took about 3 years to convince myself that....... Sonofagun! Maybe he was right! Not saying they were angels,........we still had our knockdown drag out battles,........bit if you proved your point, they RESPECTED that!

No hidden agendas,..... No secret meetings with competitors during negotiations to be leaked out to throw contract elections.........No soft smile to the face while inserting the knife in the back.........

This is the new breed of high-powered management.......... Who regard the Labor force as some sort of sub-human sub-literate clump of protoplasm to be cajoled , tricked and " managed" into performing like an OSHA approved Circus monkey. No respect involved..........none needed for Circus monkeys.

As long as those monkeys can press the right buttons on the PDA, the ELD, and can find the right buttonholes on their non-Union, Made in Guatemala uniforms..........Why, we have great metrics! Freight? Huh? Computer says we have the right amount of street and dock time ,......so we MUST be making a profit. Who needs Freight?

And if we aren't making a profit........well , those monkeys must need further training on proper button pushing. Gotta be their fault, they're just dumb deisel monkeys.........especially the old apes....,..
While I only had a 1/3 of the time here that you do, but when i came here I was happy to drive truck again. But over the past 3 years you can see the downturn in this company & as far as moral goes that's a thing of the past. As to who to give the company back to I don't have a answer....

While I only had a 1/3 of the time here that you do, but when i came here I was happy to drive truck again. But over the past 3 years you can see the downturn in this company & as far as moral goes that's a thing of the past. As to who to give the company back to I don't have a answer....

How about we become "Employee-owned", and you guys can vote me in as CEO........Chief Easylivin' Official........I think I can stand living on an expense account for a while..........

Canary you need to stay on the job just to keep management on their toes & to keep junior men on nights longer so they will appreciate seniority. I was asked by a young employee who wanted to come to the day shift when I was going to retire. I told him I was going to get a room at the nursing home near the terminal & ride a motorized wheel chair to work when I could no longer pass a driver's test.
I think that the elders need to die on the job rather than bleed my pension dry with 30 years of fishing, traveling and nagging the old lady.