CA. Fatal Semi Container Rolled over on a car.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
UTI1470342_t350.jpg
Big rig tips over on freeway, killing sedan driver - SignOnSanDiego.com

b05a90e4-d63c-50a3-a905-6e86aafb6b96.image.jpg
fatal-crash-oceanside_t350.jpg

I see too many of these container drivers driving like complete lunatics. I hope he never drives again.

My question is... Why is the car on the left side of the truck on a transition ramp from the 5 freeway to a state route? Was the car trying to pass the truck on the left on the ramp? Looks like a single lane ramp to me.

Come on now regardless of the place this car is in.
You must notice the container is not in the upright position.

Maybe this car was trying to put the squeeze on this truck,which none of us will ever know as that info went to the drivers grave.

In my opinion if this trucker was taking the ramp at a reasonable speed he would have been able to avoid this crash.

Maybe this car was trying to put the squeeze on this truck,which none of us will ever know as that info went to the drivers grave.

In my opinion if this trucker was taking the ramp at a reasonable speed he would have been able to avoid this crash.

My guess: Trucker was driving too fast for curve. Car was trying to sneak by and didn't realize that this was a one lane ramp. Truck flips over on car because of excessive speed and possibly the fact that he saw the car next to him and panicked.

My question is... Why is the car on the left side of the truck on a transition ramp from the 5 freeway to a state route? Was the car trying to pass the truck on the left on the ramp? Looks like a single lane ramp to me.

They do it all the time in CA. The 4 wheelers always trying to get by the truck at all costs. You wouldn't believe the things I see.

That being said its definitely drivers fault for driving too fast and laying it over but the person in the car was about as stupid as they come for trying to squeeze by if that was the case which it certainly looks that way. Very sad for the car driver but very preventable.

I always say you need to watch out for yourself. No one else will. Defensive driving is the only way I drive. I stay away from trucks at all costs, give them plenty of room especially around on and off ramps, and there is no way I would ever drive along side of one or try to pass one on an on or off ramp. And my favorite is driving happily in between two of them so I can get sandwiched. No way. I see it all day long though. It really needs to taught in school and you should have to watch videos of these things when getting your license.

Come on now Apostolic, I can turn your exact comment around and say... If that car hadn't been where he was at he wouldn't of been crushed and killed. True the driver of the truck was obviously going too fast for the curve but the fact remains the car was in a position he should of never been in.

OK fellas heres the rule I used for my 45 years in trucking for what it is worth.
I say it is much faster to go slower,and obey the laws then it is to have to make out the crash reports,and wait for the wrecker.

Slow down and get where you want to go,or take your chances and pay,and pay for your error.
Remember all the regrets you may have for messing up,will not change anything.

Actually, if I am remembering the right ramp, it's actually two lanes. There is like a dedicated exit ramp, plus the next lane over from the freeway gives the option to exit. So the car was within full rights to be on the left side of the truck.

Looking at the picture and the yellow line and the white line and all there is no way that is two lanes. There is not enough room. You must be thinking of a different ramp.

Here is my guess on what might of happen.... The car was broke down ( stopped )... notice how close to the wall it is??? The truck driver didn't see it fast enough to adjust his speed properly... thus swerved to avoid collision and rolled the truck.

Here is my guess on what might of happen.... The car was broke down ( stopped )... notice how close to the wall it is??? The truck driver didn't see it fast enough to adjust his speed properly... thus swerved to avoid collision and rolled the truck.
Possible, but I think the car was kid-of pushed up against the wall by the impact. Good eye though. I think what happened was the car tried to pass, driver looked in mirror saw car and over corrected (jerked the wheel) and layed it on its side. Unfortunately on top of the car.

I found an article saying the truck driver was 32 and went to hospital and they didn't release the identity of the lexus driver but his ID said he was from Baja California, Mexico. Not Baja, Ca.The car was registered here in the CA. I'll go look for the article.

On the second link from USA TRKR there is a video link under picture. In that video it looks to me like there is a sign just before wreck that indicates it was a two lane road. Did anyone else notice that?

Good observation justlc46.
That ramp sign indicates two lanes as one exits they can turn right or left onto the intersecting road.

well that clears up the mystery of the size,or width of the ramp.
Also watching the video the police officer is faulting the trucker for excessive speed.

On the second link from USA TRKR there is a video link under picture. In that video it looks to me like there is a sign just before wreck that indicates it was a two lane road. Did anyone else notice that?

Good eye. I missed it. Now I see the broken line indicators in the pictures too. In that case things have changed. I myself still won't pass or go near a truck in a turn like that. I stay back and wait. I guess I've seen things go wrong too many times. Extra cautious I am.