Yellow | Call Verification?

Should I have done it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stave

TB Lurker
Credits
Got asked by a dispatcher to do one of these last week. I didn't think about it until afterwards, but is this frowned upon bc it reflects poorly on your fellow Teamster?

Got asked by a dispatcher to do one of these last week. I didn't think about it until afterwards, but is this frowned upon bc it reflects poorly on your fellow Teamster?
I have never heard of anyone getting upset over a call verification.

No, it is very important to the union. It guarantees that a union member verifies that the brother or sister did miss a work call. I don't know how other terminals handle these. What I do know is I was a Steward for many years, and I was usually allowed to make one attempt on MY CELL phone to make contact, before using the company's phone and signing off on the verification form. I would also leave a message letting that employee know that they had a missed work call. It's not either your or the union's fault that the employee was "unavailable". That is ENTIRELY the responsibility of that employee.

I was asked by dispatch today to do a call verification. I asked him what’s that, and he explained call this person on the speaker phone and if he didn’t answer leave a message. I told him I didn’t feel comfortable doing that and he went to the next driver and they called.

I was asked by dispatch today to do a call verification. I asked him what’s that, and he explained call this person on the speaker phone and if he didn’t answer leave a message. I told him I didn’t feel comfortable doing that and he went to the next driver and they called.
nothing to be ashamed of, it's common practice! If a Stewart isn't available than the next available Teamster member can do it. All it is doing is to make certain that the company is doing things right.

Ok that's how I felt when he explained to me what it was. It's not my fault if you don't want to be available.

But then I remembered how my trainer kept telling me that you don't get your Teamster brother in trouble.

Being relatively new to unions, sometimes it seems like it that wouldn't be the best idea. Still figuring it out as I go.

Just don’t ever let them pull the deal where they want to call, not on speaker, and have you sit there and do nothing. I’ve had them try to do it that way before and had to explain to them if I wasn’t making the call, I wasn’t going to verify anything.

Just don’t ever let them pull the deal where they want to call, not on speaker, and have you sit there and do nothing. I’ve had them try to do it that way before and had to explain to them if I wasn’t making the call, I wasn’t going to verify anything.

In the past, I have double called. Once on company phone and verified on my cell. As Albag stated, this the most efficient way to verify.

There are times those being called will pickup on my cell and not on the company line.

Your not screwing your fellow teamster by making the call, your protecting him.

Keeps management from screwing people’s seniority.

Ok that's how I felt when he explained to me what it was. It's not my fault if you don't want to be available.

But then I remembered how my trainer kept telling me that you don't get your Teamster brother in trouble.

Being relatively new to unions, sometimes it seems like it that wouldn't be the best idea. Still figuring it out as I go.

I have verified several calls, I always did the dialing, you were never asked to sign anything, since PIE usually
didn't write a warning letter for first offense.
You were dropped to bottom of board or missed your bid.

The dispatcher has to verify you WERE called for work (do you really want to take their word for it) and they get a Steward OR a Union member to verify the call....BE SURE....YOU clock the card and YOU sign your name and YOU call the number that is ON THE CARD....this is done to PROTECT the drivers from any mistakes by dispatch. I have had them call the wrong number by 1 digit being punched wrong and got the driver on the 1st ring....ya never know.

When I verified calls ( and I have done way too many over the years )something I learned was. I was calling the same people most of the time and in 99% of the cases Women, Booze and Drugs were the root cause.
Something I could never get my mind around was the No Call No Show club. Again same people.