Called in today

I've slipped down the ramp on my back doing food service. That hurts. But when you fall off the top of a car hauler your falling a little further then falling off a side loader which I've done to

But like anything. You just gotta be careful. And once you get use to the job and the hang of everything then your fine. Just don't rush

fwiw, both times i screwed my knee up, i was only exiting the cab. sometimes that 3 point hold doesnt mean anything, if your yard is a skating rink.

i have slipped on ramps though, with product on a wheeler, and i would much rather load cars. when you are climbing around that carhauler, you dont have 400lbs of mozzarella trying to kill you, you just have your own weight.

fwiw, both times i screwed my knee up, i was only exiting the cab. sometimes that 3 point hold doesnt mean anything, if your yard is a skating rink.

i have slipped on ramps though, with product on a wheeler, and i would much rather load cars. when you are climbing around that carhauler, you dont have 400lbs of mozzarella trying to kill you, you just have your own weight.

Or 300 pounds of beer getting ready to drag you down a customers rickety stair case. My route that I have, has a lot of stairs and some of those kitchens and stair cases have slick floors and getting drug down the stairs and sending 2 1/2 barrels down the steps would not be good. Me climbing up a trailer is not as big of a deal versus like you said 400 lbs of mozzarella dragging you off the side of a trailer.

Saw it a food service driver here in Cleveland when I worked at the pizza shop drive a power jack and a pallet full of pizza dough right off the back of the lift gate.

Or 300 pounds of beer getting ready to drag you down a customers rickety stair case. My route that I have, has a lot of stairs and some of those kitchens and stair cases have slick floors and getting drug down the stairs and sending 2 1/2 barrels down the steps would not be good. Me climbing up a trailer is not as big of a deal versus like you said 400 lbs of mozzarella dragging you off the side of a trailer.

Saw it a food service driver here in Cleveland when I worked at the pizza shop drive a power jack and a pallet full of pizza dough right off the back of the lift gate.
Thats the reason we don't have lift gates, to many dummies dropped the electric jack off and broke it, now the old man, ( me), gets to be broken because of others not paying attention! I still wouldn't trade it, I'm passing on shuttle, my customers get me out of bed, I make a difference for them and that drives me.

Thats the reason we don't have lift gates, to many dummies dropped the electric jack off and broke it, now the old man, ( me), gets to be broken because of others not paying attention! I still wouldn't trade it, I'm passing on shuttle, my customers get me out of bed, I make a difference for them and that drives me.

It would be nice if I was able to say that I make a difference for my customers, but because we are not anyone's main distributor or choice vendor, I feel as though I am nothing more then just another annoyance for them to deal with.
Not all that often do I hear oh thank goodness Coors is here. It's more of "Hey some beer guy is here and he needs a check." Then someone gives a long sigh and drudges off to pay my invoice.

The big differences in our business is I'm bringing them a small not insignificant but big picture wise I am bringing them a very small portion of the entire show I am not the most important person in there life far from it. Where as like GT brings them there whole business he's got all the food, all the janitorial supplies, all the napkins and dry goods everything they need to operate he has. Me I just have the drinks and the way alcohol is divided by counties and licenses there are several other companies servicing the same account doing exactly what I do. I'm basically just an annoyance to the customer a necessary evil I guess.

It would be nice if I was able to say that I make a difference for my customers, but because we are not anyone's main distributor or choice vendor, I feel as though I am nothing more then just another annoyance for them to deal with.
Not all that often do I hear oh thank goodness Coors is here. It's more of "Hey some beer guy is here and he needs a check." Then someone gives a long sigh and drudges off to pay my invoice.

The big differences in our business is I'm bringing them a small not insignificant but big picture wise I am bringing them a very small portion of the entire show I am not the most important person in there life far from it. Where as like GT brings them there whole business he's got all the food, all the janitorial supplies, all the napkins and dry goods everything they need to operate he has. Me I just have the drinks and the way alcohol is divided by counties and licenses there are several other companies servicing the same account doing exactly what I do. I'm basically just an annoyance to the customer a necessary evil I guess.
Mike if your going to stay in the customer service end of trucking, you need to get into foodservice, I have formed relationships years ago that I am still in contact with, the friends I have made in this business are priceless. If I were homeless and out of money, I would eat, and eat well I promise you that.

We work hard Double R will tell you that, but the rewards can be and usually are many!

Mike did you ever hear from Jack Cooper?

I have not I have a phone interview with GFS on Friday. I had a couple odd ball out of state numbers call me this week, but nobody has left messages. GFS when they call you they leave a message and ask you to call them back when you have time.

I was hoping Jack Cooper would do the same, call and then I'll just call them back. I could always just print off there application and send it in and see what happens.

Rumpkee consolidated companies doesn't want me they sent me an email telling me that this week so that's one to scratch off the list.

Mike if your going to stay in the customer service end of trucking, you need to get into foodservice, I have formed relationships years ago that I am still in contact with, the friends I have made in this business are priceless. If I were homeless and out of money, I would eat, and eat well I promise you that.

We work hard Double R will tell you that, but the rewards can be and usually are many!

Well I have a phone interview with GFS on Friday will see what they have to say. No life long friendships are forming in the beer distribution world I can tell you that. Now that's not totally fair I have a couple places that I like and they like me, but most of the convenient stores I have don't give a flip.

Might make some good friends but your body will hurt after awhile. Just ask everyone that's done it awhile. Ask GT how he feels and so on. It's tough on the body. It really is
You know after a while I think you're body get's tired of the work and then you're mind get's tired of the BS. If I had the energy I would write a long diatribe about how I got screwed over today on an otherwise decent day, but I'll save it.

On a side note yesterday I had a decent day at work that's something I don't get to say to often.

Might make some good friends but your body will hurt after awhile. Just ask everyone that's done it awhile. Ask GT how he feels and so on. It's tough on the body. It really is

I would be more then willing to go to Jack Cooper if they want me I figure that's on a customer end no different then beer some dealerships probably don't care a lick and others are probably real anal retentive. Same with beer deliver some places, yeah just wheel it over there and other places no we must see the invoice and inventory everything one by one.

I'm trying to figure out how I can retire.....
10-15 year plan So far I've got 8-9 months of that accomplished ha-ha! :lmao:

Let's do some creative mathematics. I accelerate in hypothetical mathematics!
Say you make $60,000 a year being conservative about it you can kiss $15,000 of that good by Uncle Sam needs his fair share.
That leaves you with clearing $45,000 after taxes. Figure you own a car roughly if you own a car out right it costs about $5,000-$6,000 a year in gas and maintenance so you are down to $40,000 a year you have kids well that doesn't leave a whole lot left. I don't have kids so I can only go by what I know, $40,000 after the car figure all other utilities probably hover around $10,00-$11,000 a year so now you're down to $30,000 then you figure rent/mortgage that's $4800 right there give or take anymore property taxes where I live are as high as what a mortgage payment is which is kind of making it like gee why do we need to buy this house? So that puts you down to $25,200 then you figure groceries figure average family of four probably spends $15,000 a year on groceries so that leaves you with a profit of $10,200 at the end of the year. So $10,200 put into an IRA or something saving $10,200 a year in 15 years you would have a tad over $100,000 dollars. Which is okay, but not great. Not good enough to retire on. However you could I guess work a little less harder.

Keep in mind this is my rough mathematical guesstimate and this is all pretty lose.

Last edited:
yep, its really the wrong time of year to be looking. GFS will be more of the same as what you have. wait it out until end of march, and then go after j cooper, or cassens.

Had my phone interview with GFS this afternoon, they seem alright heck I thought this place was alright too when I first got hired on. Now that being said a friend of mine is a charter bus driver said GFS used to charter buses at this company before his company was bought out by another bus company and he said yeah GFS is a pretty good company.

Now here is where GFS gets tricky and maybe GT knows about this, I could imagine checking in and cataloging all the small stuff like spices could get challenging. I would have to believe that you're spices is eqivallent to my companies bottle wine sales.