Yellow | Camera coaching ?

Hope your not talking about me Triplex. If so please get your facts right!

Exactly what "facts" are you referring to LV? I was offering my opinion on those who would like to see YRCF close the doors (and put thousands of their "brothers" out of work) rather than man up and get a better job if they hate YRCF so much. That's opinion not fact in any case. As far as referring to you, I don't know if you're one of those who would like to see the doors closed. Are you?

You had best hope that he doesn't "trip an fall" in the parking lot or anywhere else! I know what you're alluding to, and unless you care to answer to the FBI and other Federal investigators, I suggest that type of conversation come to a screeching halt. Yes, I'm serious!
It is what it is ! Their is plenty of history here !

As you are training why not pass on this information
You will get a cut on your car insurance for Smith System Training.

I am not against the camera's !
The whole program here has been a farce since day one.
I sure hope its better else where.

Last edited:
You can do all the proper PTI you want and the lights will be working......the rusted out rattle traps will break ground and blow out, or fall out due to the rusted out light bucket....how are you to know it is out when it is daylight?. .....You can't see the running lights going down the road .....
You dont know until you so your POST trip inspection....You can only patch j7nk for so long.......KK

Most here would be well served to go to the Safer website and look at the data!
Light violations ARE far and away the most frequently cited violations And that is disgraceful. Do a proper PTI, and if there is a defect take it to the shop for repair.

How about the PM's that have bar code scanned and update on sticker with sharpie. Never get anything checked.
Shop supervisor runs dead line trailers to rail so his numbers look good. I always wondered what happens on the other end with these ? Good guess would be nothing.

You can do all the proper PTI you want and the lights will be working......the rusted out rattle traps will break ground and blow out, or fall out due to the rusted out light bucket....how are you to know it is out when it is daylight?. .....You can't see the running lights going down the road .....
You dont know until you so your POST trip inspection....You can only patch j7nk for so long.......KK

Scrap aluminum 67 to 70 cents per pound Friday.

There are YRC freight drivers named as defendants in lawsuits at this moment. Don't think for a moment that YRC will vigorously defend your interests following an accident , they won't, they will do everything in their power to reduce their liability, and if in doing so this increases your liability, so be it.

They have put thought into this, and so should you.
As someone who was a codefendant in such a case. I strenuously and vigorously disagree. YRCF secured the best legal representation money could by. And stood by me and my innocence.

As someone who was a codefendant in such a case. I strenuously and vigorously disagree. YRCF secured the best legal representation money could by. And stood by me and my innocence.
I don't know anything about your case, but I can tell you that YRC did what was in their best interest,it's not just YRC you could use any trucking company name, the fact that it worked out in your favor is merely a coincident.

Tsk, tsk; you can't make a valid point with facts, so you have to resort to personal attacks. Sorry to tell you, but your "slip is showing". Not only have you clearly shown that you're out in left field (as in very far off-base), but here's some facts to scare the living daylights out of you:
1) The choice to turn the safety functions over to the rank-and-file wasn't made lightly. According to the "higher-ups" who explained it to me, they realized that we know far more about what goes on behind the wheel than they do.
2) It was substantially the executive management that ran us "into the ground"; that I agree with. Sadly, they had lots of help from SOME of the rank-and-file. Some of the management became as frustrated as many of us at what they were seeing (James Welch was among them). They left the company, many of them to Con-Way.
3) In case you haven't heard, we have a target on our collective back from FMCSA because of vehicle maintenance problems. Some of it is due to "old" equipment, but most of it is due to inadequate pre-trip inspections. One of the reasons that we have Safety trainers from the rank-and-file is to make a show of good faith to FMCSA that we as a company are aggressively tackling these problems, which we as a company are doing.
4) I can't speak for ALL of the Safety trainers across the company, but certainly can for myself. Anytime you would like to compare resumes, just let me know.
5) Have I turned in my card? Actually, my Local hasn't issued paper dues receipts for many years. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that I have "held a card" far longer than you have (think mid-1970s).
6) Since you refer to "us" as bums, let's compare photographs and resumes. Are you "in"?

'Nuff said?
1. "Bum" is a figure of speech
2. As I recall I was responing to some one who said he was tired us "Complaining"
3. Management has no damn business turning anything over to the Rank & File. It's not our place to judge or be Judge by anyone self appointed or company appointed wanna be safety person. And I really don't give a rats snotball what people like you think of me! Your opinion means nothing to me! So don't get pissed when I won't even come in the same damn room with people like you.
4. FMCSA? Oh you just opened a frekin can of worms here! How many times have I written up AND red tagged a trailer only to see the outbound send it out that very night with a load to the break bulk? How many times have I written up my P&D tractor up for the same damn problem only to be told that they can't get the parts needed, (Not a Yellow, Roadway, Or YRC specd tractor, Bought secondhand from Ryder). Only to have that part break and put me on comp for now almost a year. Hell I even ask the then Dist Mant Manager to get a piece of angle iron to use and was told no.
My point? Simple! Quit waisting my time talking about useless crap when I write equiptment up and NOTHING HAPPENS! Oh and guess what? You can't blame the driver for this one!
Do the right thing, Write the broken down crap up, Nothing happens, PEOPLE GET HURT! But there are still those who can't understand why Teamster like me think the whole safety program is a DAMN JOKE!
I will not be "Coached" "Judged" "Talked to" or anything us you care to call it by anyone who takes it upon themselves to be put in a position over another Member! As I've said before, I'll pick my own heros dammit!

Eloquently AND accurately stated. There are some here who naively believe that the '80s and '90s didn't occur. And what those decades caused is irrelevant. We must face the current reality. When you don't control the industry, you cannot control your destiny.
Training takes a skill set that average Teamsters either don't possess or are unwilling to learn. Training and the men and women who train have this skill set AND are willing and capable of using it. If the trainers that your facility uses are condescending or smug, then your facility is wasting everyone's time. And should re-examine their criteria for who is qualified to train.
I trained for many years for Roadway Express. And I feel confident that the, literally hundreds of current employees, learned something from me. And I know for a FACT that I learned many things, that I incorporated into my training program, from them. To all who have graciously taken the time and effort to share your knowledge with others, THANK YOU!
Thank you for the compliment. I must say that you as well have eloquently stated in your post. Agreed 110% on two of your points: a) training others takes a skill set that some don't have, and some of them are unwilling to acquire. b) we learn from the folks we're training as well, and include that in future training. That is the mark of a good trainer. Thanks again for your post!

1. "Bum" is a figure of speech
2. As I recall I was responing to some one who said he was tired us "Complaining"
3. Management has no damn business turning anything over to the Rank & File. It's not our place to judge or be Judge by anyone self appointed or company appointed wanna be safety person. And I really don't give a rats snotball what people like you think of me! Your opinion means nothing to me! So don't get pissed when I won't even come in the same damn room with people like you.
4. FMCSA? Oh you just opened a frekin can of worms here! How many times have I written up AND red tagged a trailer only to see the outbound send it out that very night with a load to the break bulk? How many times have I written up my P&D tractor up for the same damn problem only to be told that they can't get the parts needed, (Not a Yellow, Roadway, Or YRC specd tractor, Bought secondhand from Ryder). Only to have that part break and put me on comp for now almost a year. Hell I even ask the then Dist Mant Manager to get a piece of angle iron to use and was told no.
My point? Simple! Quit waisting my time talking about useless crap when I write equiptment up and NOTHING HAPPENS! Oh and guess what? You can't blame the driver for this one!
Do the right thing, Write the broken down crap up, Nothing happens, PEOPLE GET HURT! But there are still those who can't understand why Teamster like me think the whole safety program is a DAMN JOKE!
I will not be "Coached" "Judged" "Talked to" or anything us you care to call it by anyone who takes it upon themselves to be put in a position over another Member! As I've said before, I'll pick my own heros dammit!
Finally! We have something to agree about. I too have written up and red-tagged equipment, and seen it loaded anyway. That is exasperating to say the least. A red-tag is just that; "out of service". I could tell you stories on this that would curl anybody's hair (if they have any hair left to curl). But LV, this is part of the whole training regimen, and a BIG reason why the training and safety functions have been taken over by Teamsters. We don't want our brethren being hurt, especially because of the carelessness of others. I am so sorry that you're out on work comp. Been there, done that; so I know the drill. Truly, you have my sympathies there. BTW, I love that caboose in your handle.

Last edited:
Finally! We have something to agree about. I too have written up and red-tagged equipment, and seen it loaded anyway. That is exasperating to say the least. A red-tag is just that; "out of service". I could tell you stories on this that would curl anybody's hair (if they have any hair left to curl). But LV, this is part of the whole training regimen, and a BIG reason why the training and safety functions have been taken over by Teamsters. We don't want out brethren being hurt, especially because of the carelessness of others. I am so sorry that you're out on work comp. Been there, done that; so I know the drill. Truly, you have my sympathies there. BTW, I love that caboose in your handle.
Thanks for the compliment about my "Caboose" LOL!!
Maybe now you can understand why I have such a problem with the whole thing. Management should not be passing the buck to labor, They should do their damn job!
It's a very hard thing for someone like me to approve of this when YRC can't even do the right thing when the Driver writes things up.
I don't need a camera or to talk to anyone! I need the company to do their job and fix the equiptment!
Remember there is usually more than one reason why anybody has a "Hardened" opinion! Lets just say I see things differently than others. Pain is a great motivator!

Thanks for the compliment about my "Caboose" LOL!!
Maybe now you can understand why I have such a problem with the whole thing. Management should not be passing the buck to labor, They should do their damn job!
It's a very hard thing for someone like me to approve of this when YRC can't even do the right thing when the Driver writes things up.
I don't need a camera or to talk to anyone! I need the company to do their job and fix the equiptment!
Remember there is usually more than one reason why anybody has a "Hardened" opinion! Lets just say I see things differently than others. Pain is a great motivator!
You mention shipping trailers to the breakbulk. Obviously, you work at an EOL terminal, that I'm guessing doesn't have it's own shop. What goes on at EOL's so far as maintenance is a different animal than at terminals with shops. Doesn't make it right. We differ dramatically on one point, though. "They" are not the company, and "we" the labor. In my opinion, "we" are the company. "They" are the transient management staff. How many terminal managers have you seen come and go in your tenure? I can tell you that I've been here for 25 years, and am on terminal manager number 11. The stabilizing force of this company is "us".

We have a shop and a machanic. Units that are red tagged should not be used until repaired. There is a reason for a red tag and as the Dutch say it's "Not for pretty"!
I was at Stroudsburg for 24 years so I know how a break works. How many pissing contests did I have there about something wrong only to be told it's "OK TO RUN" or "DEFER TO PM" Only to call the Pa D.O.T. inspector and have him meet me at the Water Gap or up in I-380. Low & behold Roadway has to send a vendor out to fix it. Gee! How much did they save by doing that?
I'm been at this company for 32 years and pretty much seen all the tricks used by lazy supervisors when it comes to safety. Filed God knows how much paper on equipment, Overloads, Un-makable bids and the lot. Now this? Camera's?
You & I can go on and on about the right & wrong of it. I guess we agree to disagree and leave it at that.

We have a shop and a machanic. Units that are red tagged should not be used until repaired. There is a reason for a red tag and as the Dutch say it's "Not for pretty"!
I was at Stroudsburg for 24 years so I know how a break works. How many pissing contests did I have there about something wrong only to be told it's "OK TO RUN" or "DEFER TO PM" Only to call the Pa D.O.T. inspector and have him meet me at the Water Gap or up in I-380. Low & behold Roadway has to send a vendor out to fix it. Gee! How much did they save by doing that?
I'm been at this company for 32 years and pretty much seen all the tricks used by lazy supervisors when it comes to safety. Filed God knows how much paper on equipment, Overloads, Un-makable bids and the lot. Now this? Camera's?
You & I can go on and on about the right & wrong of it. I guess we agree to disagree and leave it at that.
I come from the "Swamp Holly" heritage; we didn't have anywhere near the magnitude of problems that you describe. It wasn't perfect by any means, but our equipment maintenance was much better in years past than it is now. My favorite Yellow story though was when a guy blew an engine on one of the Brigadiers back in the 90s. He could see the hole in the block where the rod came through. He called in to explain, but they insisted on sending out a vendor to "check the cause of the breakdown" before they would send the tow truck that he needed. ARGH!

Reactions: mud
"I come from the "Swamp Holly" heritage;"

The Big R, 1981-2009!!
Swanp holly, yes sir. Gotta question for coches on safety team. Cleaned up outbound monday at major break and all kinds of freight and weight still show on dock. Kind of throws a curve to our fellow brothers on the road. Imo that is more of a safety issue than teaching someone basic rules.

In an effort to boost numbers blowing the freight on trailer is faster than sorting the proper freight to load.
All outbound loads should have scale ticket attached to manifest. So driver should know what he is taking. But many just climb in and go never check anything.
That is part of why CSA score is in the toilet.

Last edited:
In an effort to boost numbers blowing the freight on trailer is faster than sorting the proper freight to load.
All outbound loads should have scale ticket attached to manifest. So driver should know what he is taking. But many just climb in and go never check anything.
That is art of why CSA score is in the toilet.
I thinks has more to do with the equipment than anything. When the CSA score was last published what was the item caught most often? I think it was the equipment, (lights and such) Not the Drivers or their logs, HOS, Tickets or anything like that.
I might be wrong so someone correct me will ya?