Yellow | Camera coaching ?

Our coach is in a constant state of competition with his peers. He attempts to “win” the competition by calling attention to his coworkers faults, both real, and imagined. He comes in before his shift, and is known to stay after his shift. He spends this excess time relating to anyone that will listen, but especially members of management, just how defective everyone else is.

In the unfortunate event that one of our drivers is in an accident that leads to a lawsuit this “coach” could very well be called to testify. This “coach” is a man that cannot go an hour without talking down a coworker. This man can be counted on to do harm in a situation like this. Something that didn't seem important at one time can become crucial if your assets and reputation are at stake.

But yet.....it became a contractual issue in order to merge them....KK

I have no idea what that means - "it became a contractual issue in order to merge them". There was nothing in our contract to prevent YRCW from merging the two companies and there was absolutely nothing the IBT could do to stop the merge. Disciplining a worker however is regulated by the contract.

A Teamster member on the safety committee. ....but that is instructional. ....the "coaching" is a review of your work performance.....they can put a horse saddle on a mule, but it is still a mule!.....KK

The "coaching" is not about "work performance" exactly but more precisely about unsafe driving habits. Slightly different.

I have no idea what that means - "it became a contractual issue in order to merge them". There was nothing in our contract to prevent YRCW from merging the two companies and there was absolutely nothing the IBT could do to stop the merge. Disciplining a worker however is regulated by the contract.
There was a COO hearing (Contractual ) in order to approve the COO that merged the two in Dallas...KK

There was a COO hearing (Contractual ) in order to approve the COO that merged the two in Dallas...KK

The COO hearing had only to do with how the merge would affect the work/workers at each individual location after the companies were merged. As I've said already, there was nothing in our contract to impose any restrictions on the ability of YRCW to merge the two companies.

In place of “coaching” they could just as easily require that you view a relevant safety video each time you create an event that causes concern. This would eliminate most of the controversy, and would provide a more consistent response across company.
This is all that happens you look at the video and then you can decide if there is anything you could have done differently everyone needs to just relax about the whole thing and if you don't want to look at the video then you don't and no local management can even log on to the system

I also sense some on here are ticked off that they were not asked to be a " coach" , but would have said no if asked anyway. I personally think it should be handled by the company safety dept, but if you ever met our district safety guy, it would make you wonder if maybe yes, a driver could relate to another driver way better than this person. So in some cases it will make for a good argument. Maybe if yrc had the recording company put the event,on say, a CD, and mailed it to your home where you could view it privately, and leave it at that? If there is no accident, then why not keep it low key? Just throwing it out there.

They will change the rules‼️ Below is the language in the ABF contract.

Article 26
Section 3. Audio, Video and Computer Tracking Devices

The Employer may use video, still photos derived from video, electronic tracking devices and/or audio evidence to discipline an employee without corroboration by observers if the employee engages in conduct such as dishonesty, theft of time or property, vandalism, or physical violence for which an employee could be discharged without a warning letter. If the information on the video, still photos, electronic tracking devices and/or audio recording is to be utilized for any purpose in support of a disciplinary or discharge action, the Employer must provide the Local Union, prior to the hearing, an opportunity to review the evidence used by the Employer.

This whole issue reminds me of the words a former great shop steward used to say, "Why waste time picking the fly :::shit::: out of the pepper?". Personally I couldn't care less about being called in for "coaching" or who provides that coaching as long as none of that can be used for any disciplinary purposes. I'll listen to what the "coach" says, all of this while on the clock, and nod my head in agreement. Then when I leave I'll think about it and if it's good info I'll use it and if it's not I'll just ignore it and go about my business the way I always have. I just don't get the idea of getting all bent out of shape over it, but I guess that's just me. Why push back over trivial issues and get all aggravated? I like to go in to work, have as smooth a day as possible, and then go home to enjoy life.
Reason #1. It pits Teamster against Teamster (Please refer to K.K.'s post)
Reason #2 What will this "Program" become in 5-10 Years? Sorry but I don't trust the Company.
There! Short and Sweet!

If I may. It is a Teamsters right to have an opinion on whether or not he likes being coached by someone from our own ranks. I would never try to belittle someone that feels concerned by this. Secondly with the great shortage of drivers in our industry and with all the post about missing pick ups and deliveries would it not be in the best interest of all concerned that the COACH be in his own truck delivering and picking up freight?

I have not read where anyone has refused to allow the said COACHS to ride with them. But to act as though a Brother is wrong for not liking this program shows very little Brotherhood in my opinion. We have rights in this country for which many of us served to keep.

If I may. It is a Teamsters right to have an opinion on whether or not he likes being coached by someone from our own ranks. I would never try to belittle someone that feels concerned by this. Secondly with the great shortage of drivers in our industry and with all the post about missing pick ups and deliveries would it not be in the best interest of all concerned that the COACH be in his own truck delivering and picking up freight?

I have not read where anyone has refused to allow the said COACHS to ride with them. But to act as though a Brother is wrong for not liking this program shows very little Brotherhood in my opinion. We have rights in this country for which many of us served to keep.
Coachs are not riding with anyone just showing the video

The question is can the courts or an attorney subpoena the video and will YRC/UNION fight for us like Apple is.

YRC would be required to provide the video, and all records associated with that video, as part of the discovery process.

"If a lawsuit is brought against a company and/or its driver based upon a motor vehicle accident, one of the primary concerns implicated by the use of recorded video technology is the scope of discoverable information. In every jurisdiction across the country – including all federal and state courts – any video or audio recording captured by the cameras likely would be considered discoverable information in litigation and would have to be produced to the complaining party."

https://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnew...s-associated-with-on-board-video-cameras.aspx