Yellow | Camera coaching ?

YRC would be required to provide the video, and all records associated with that video, as part of the discovery process.

"If a lawsuit is brought against a company and/or its driver based upon a motor vehicle accident, one of the primary concerns implicated by the use of recorded video technology is the scope of discoverable information. In every jurisdiction across the country – including all federal and state courts – any video or audio recording captured by the cameras likely would be considered discoverable information in litigation and would have to be produced to the complaining party."

https://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnew...s-associated-with-on-board-video-cameras.aspx
With this info, the camera should be recording at all times, not at a set timing. If you are in the far right lane and someone passes you on the left and pulls in front of you, it triggers the systems. All day long you are backing off other drivers trying to keep safe distance, trying to deliver ETIME freight. How many times a driver has sat for 2 plus hours and a stupidvisor calls driver when load is finally ready, and says to driver, "that's a ETIME HURRY HURRY".

With this info, the camera should be recording at all times, not at a set timing. If you are in the far right lane and someone passes you on the left and pulls in front of you, it triggers the systems. All day long you are backing off other drivers trying to keep safe distance, trying to deliver ETIME freight. How many times a driver has sat for 2 plus hours and a stupidvisor calls driver when load is finally ready, and says to driver, "that's a ETIME HURRY HURRY".
I have never waited for my load to be loaded, nor ever had a supervisor tell me to hurry. At least at my terminal.

When you're behind the wheel you're "Captain of the Ship" and you and you alone control the way you drive regardless of what anyone says to you. Remember that.

The dovetail is contractual, a company has only 5yrs to dovetail. It was done 7th year of the purchase.

The purchase (2003) was at a different time than the merge (2009). You don't dovetail workers at two separate companies just because they are commonly owned.

Question who perform the smith systems sessions for you guys? A teamster member or company person.
At 120 they combined the DOT required haz-mat training with the Useless smith system. So they had my attention for the first half of the day, (Haz-mat) and read the paper the other half, (smith system). Didn't cause a problem, Didn't say a word. Didn't get involved. Told the so called "trainer" if his boss had a problem with it to come see me.
Never got a visit from anybody.

OK…this is why NO Union member should be coaching another one.

This dash cam system was installed by the COMPANY….We have been told by the COMPANY that there will be no discipline issued in regards to what is on the camera (Side Note: This is also the same COMPANY that stated they would keep Roadway & Yellow separate brands and NEVER merge them)

Now you get called into the office for a “coaching" session by a Union member, Steward, or even an officer from your Local union. You tell them you had rather not and walk away. Later the COMPANY threatens you for not looking at the dash cam videos and gives you a warning for not following instructions…..WHO instructed me? Who told the COMPANY I would not look at the videos? Who will be the COMPANY witness?

What happens when the driver has an accident, and the COMPANY uses his “coaching videos” as proof that the driver has had this “problem” before and now it has lead to an accident?.....WHO, will be the witness for the COMPANY?

Too many problems can arise from this….it is the COMPANY”S dash cam program…The COMPANY did not ask the drivers to approve its purchase.

With ALL this going on, WHY should a Rank & File Member be the one to “coach” the driver? Let COMPANY management do the job and let them hire the Safety people to do it….DON’T harm your Brothers & Sisters!

If you cause ME harm…I will come after YOUR card…..plain and simple.............KK
KK (and everyone else),
I have carefully read over 85 posts on this thread. Some of you make good points against this program, and some make good points in favor of this program. I'm one of those "coaches"; and BTW, that's not a term I use with our guys because I don't much care for it. Having a Teamster driver reviewing these videos is the best of all possible worlds: a) nobody gets disciplined; b) the guy doing the reviewing (and discussing the video with his fellow driver) is a driver who knows what he's talking about, not a manager who may not have ever driven a rig in their life; c) so far as I can see, any function concerning driving these trucks as well as operating the system that we take from management's hands is a really good move-we actually know the ins-and-outs of what's going on here. Agreed, if you have a reviewer who is hell-bent on being self-righteous, that's not a good thing. I can tell you that when I call a driver for a video review, it's done discreetly, politely and professionally. They already know how to drive, but some of them are in need of help in not causing the camera to trigger.That's what I do.There are a few hot-heads in my barn, and I know how to deal with them, but most of the guys I've talked with are very cooperative. That's all I (and any good reviewer) ask; cooperate with this process. You might learn something, and I might find out that the camera trigger is without just reasoning. I can challenge the Lytx assessment in that circumstance, and have already done so numerous times. For those who decline to view the video, I simply tell them what it contains, and ask them to be more mindful of the circumstance that triggered the camera. I've not had anybody yet refuse to talk with me, but system-wide they can be ordered by management to cooperate. I really don't want it to even get to that point. Management does get a list of who is called for review, but that's all they get (BTW, that's automated, I don't provide it to them). As for the question "what does the future hold"; that's a fair question. Let me answer it this way: if it ever comes to pass that either the contract or (more likely) the FMCSA allows management to use this against us, we're going to be mighty glad that we got a big head-start in getting our guys used to dealing with the camera before it reaches a point of active enforcement against the driver. I hope it never gets there, but be aware that the railroads have had an outward as well as inward-facing camera for years, as mandated by the Federal Railroad Administration. So.....don't threaten to come after my card, because you're "blowing smoke" and nothing more. Making such threats and acting upon them can cause you all sorts of trouble and money after a visit to a judge and jury; someplace none of us wants to go. Encourage all to cooperate. For those who are reviewers, remember that the rules we're bound by are quite plain and very strict, and confidentiality is at the top of that list of rules.

Could always be worse, RT. They could be asking you to coach the Cleveland Browns....

KK (and everyone else),
I have carefully read over 85 posts on this thread. Some of you make good points against this program, and some make good points in favor of this program. I'm one of those "coaches"; and BTW, that's not a term I use with our guys because I don't much care for it. Having a Teamster driver reviewing these videos is the best of all possible worlds: a) nobody gets disciplined; b) the guy doing the reviewing (and discussing the video with his fellow driver) is a driver who knows what he's talking about, not a manager who may not have ever driven a rig in their life; c) so far as I can see, any function concerning driving these trucks as well as operating the system that we take from management's hands is a really good move-we actually know the ins-and-outs of what's going on here. Agreed, if you have a reviewer who is hell-bent on being self-righteous, that's not a good thing. I can tell you that when I call a driver for a video review, it's done discreetly, politely and professionally. They already know how to drive, but some of them are in need of help in not causing the camera to trigger.That's what I do.There are a few hot-heads in my barn, and I know how to deal with them, but most of the guys I've talked with are very cooperative. That's all I (and any good reviewer) ask; cooperate with this process. You might learn something, and I might find out that the camera trigger is without just reasoning. I can challenge the Lytx assessment in that circumstance, and have already done so numerous times. For those who decline to view the video, I simply tell them what it contains, and ask them to be more mindful of the circumstance that triggered the camera. I've not had anybody yet refuse to talk with me, but system-wide they can be ordered by management to cooperate. I really don't want it to even get to that point. Management does get a list of who is called for review, but that's all they get (BTW, that's automated, I don't provide it to them). As for the question "what does the future hold"; that's a fair question. Let me answer it this way: if it ever comes to pass that either the contract or (more likely) the FMCSA allows management to use this against us, we're going to be mighty glad that we got a big head-start in getting our guys used to dealing with the camera before it reaches a point of active enforcement against the driver. I hope it never gets there, but be aware that the railroads have had an outward as well as inward-facing camera for years, as mandated by the Federal Railroad Administration. So.....don't threaten to come after my card, because you're "blowing smoke" and nothing more. Making such threats and acting upon them can cause you all sorts of trouble and money after a visit to a judge and jury; someplace none of us wants to go. Encourage all to cooperate. For those who are reviewers, remember that the rules we're bound by are quite plain and very strict, and confidentiality is at the top of that list of rules.
I stand by my opinion and position for the reasons given. It is not your (Or anyone else's) place to be involved with something set up and controlled by management. As info, I would most likely have a completly different point of view if the Union came up with the ideal and controlled every part of it. The possibility of a "Coach" being used by the company to do harm to another Brother is unacceptible. What will you do if called to testify in open Court against a fellow Member? Or have information collected by you used at the Panel? Think it could never happen? Why take the risk?
This has nothing to do with being hardheaded, Hotheaded, a troublemaker, Or anything else. Let management run THEIR program if they want it so much. How much money has the company put into this? Don't think for one minute they are not going to use it at some point to letter or discharge a Member! If for no other reason this program pits AND puts one Teamster over another! It goes against everything I understand about Brotherhood!
Until Websters rewrites the meaning of Brotherhood and Trade Unionism my position will not change! And as for the rest? I'll deal with it when the time comes. But just like K.K. said, Do me harm and I'm going after your card! It's not a threat. It's a statement of fact!

Last edited:
KK (and everyone else),
The fact that YOU call a driver in for a review, and the fact that they can be ORDERED by the company puts you in a conflict of interest.

KK (and everyone else),
How was you selected for this job?:popcorn:

It has come to my attention that the cameras have a wide array of features.Next feature to be added will be the lane changing alert.Drivers if you cross the fog line or the center striped line.The alert will go on and the camera will be activated as an event.

It has come to my attention that the cameras have a wide array of features.Next feature to be added will be the lane changing alert.Drivers if you cross the fog line or the center striped line.The alert will go on and the camera will be activated as an event.
Also each feature to be activated cost as an add on to the subscription

Evo4wb7.jpg

The bottom line is, this is who they want to haul the freight. So as long as YRC & ABF are forced to deal with the union, there will always be drama.

Last edited:
The lane departure sensor, and the following too close feature have been on the white linehaul tractors all along. Nothing new.

Strictly a volunteer thing to view your video.If you dont then your name goes to management and then a member of management will review the video with you.Then if you refuse management then your name goes into a file.Later on if actions are not corrected.You could possibly be disciplined for not improving your driving.At this juncture the driver could be considered a problem driver and a liability.At this time the driver could be discharged.Hows that for a volunteer scenario without discipline.

At 120 they combined the DOT required haz-mat training with the Useless smith system. So they had my attention for the first half of the day, (Haz-mat) and read the paper the other half, (smith system). Didn't cause a problem, Didn't say a word. Didn't get involved. Told the so called "trainer" if his boss had a problem with it to come see me.
Never got a visit from anybody.

The fact that you consider the Smith System useless tells me all I need to know about how professional you are as a driver. Sorry.

If you are called in to be disciplined for something that happened on the video, say nothing except to want Union representation, if they plan to discipline you. Then remind your union representative that you were told by the union that YRC can use the cameras for anything except disciplinary action. Or was that just more b#llsh#t, like if you work hard for 25 years you will get a pension.

Last edited:
Strictly a volunteer thing to view your video.If you dont then your name goes to management and then a member of management will review the video with you.Then if you refuse management then your name goes into a file.Later on if actions are not corrected.You could possibly be disciplined for not improving your driving.At this juncture the driver could be considered a problem driver and a liability.At this time the driver could be discharged.Hows that for a volunteer scenario without discipline.

Bigtruk, if the company really wanted to hassle drivers they wouldn't need to install cameras in the trucks. They could just follow a driver with a dash cam in the car and record how he drives. They could build a case against a person for unsafe driving very easily that way. Correcting someone's unsafe driving habits benefits all of us doesn't it? Don't your family members drive on the same roads as those drivers? If an unsafe truck driver hurt someone in your family would you give him a pass just because he's a brother Teamster?