SAIA | Camera rumor

BillyLo

Service 2.0 OD Strong All Time Mastio Champion
Credits
seen a saia driver on fb saying he got wrote up for taking a drink of soda. Wouldn't you need a critical event for them to see that or does it really detect when your hand is moving around?

Of course it's always rolling, but there's not thousands of people to monitor them constantly. I'd say you'd need to have a critical event during the soda usage to catch that.

Of course it's always rolling, but there's not thousands of people to monitor them constantly. I'd say you'd need to have a critical event during the soda usage to catch that.
It's always rolling but it's not always downloading. Following distance .. Hard brakes .. Cornering too fast .. Railroad tracks or rough roads can trigger an event. Where do some of these guys come up with this ::shit::. If he got caught it was because he triggered an event and it downloaded it. More fear mongering. I work this system .. It's doesn't work me. I eat, drink, and whatever. I just know how to do it. It doesn't have an motion detector if that's what he was implying. Total BS.

It's always rolling but it's not always downloading. Following distance .. Hard brakes .. Cornering too fast .. Railroad tracks or rough roads can trigger an event. Where do some of these guys come up with this :::shit:::. If he got caught it was because he triggered an event and it downloaded it. More fear mongering. I work this system .. It's doesn't work me. I eat, drink, and whatever. I just know how to do it. It doesn't have an motion detector if that's what he was implying. Total BS.

It sure sounded like BS versus everything my friends who work at companies with Lytx tell me. I have no dog in the fight so I didn't comment but I hope someday OD will put them in our trucks also.

Billy, it's just a matter of time.

People do so much stupid crap around my truck these days in the Seattle area. It'd be nice to have all questions answered with just a review of a video. Remember people, lots of low lifes looking for a quick buck and will come after your company and you with a lawyer when the worst happens.

People do so much stupid crap around my truck these days in the Seattle area. It'd be nice to have all questions answered with just a review of a video. Remember people, lots of low lifes looking for a quick buck and will come after your company and you with a lawyer when the worst happens.
We have a little blue button on the side of the camera that activates the camera from it's manual mode just for that reason. Just keep pushing it for shady activity and your ass is covered in many cases. Many say you can't reach it from the seated position with your seat belt on but I can reach it with no problem. I can shift a little to the side and hit it everytime. It's saved my ass on one occasion and I'm glad I had it.

udMekd5.jpg

This what the camera will show in my truck. Dang!! I'm good looking.
Don't let your wife see this, Billy.

The camera trucks I've driven will set themselves off at various times for no known reason. I've had the light go red in the middle of nowhere on a clear smooth highway with no cars in sight and no lane deviation, so the defenition of what a critical event is can be pretty subjective.

The camera trucks I've driven will set themselves off at various times for no known reason. I've had the light go red in the middle of nowhere on a clear smooth highway with no cars in sight and no lane deviation, so the defenition of what a critical event is can be pretty subjective.

Light going red is not a video. Flashing red and green is. From that point contractor reviews. Then to TM, then driver. I personally find the camera a non issue but to each their own. As I understand it, company is short dock help and dispatchers as well. Wasn't that long ago bitching about "the layoffs" was all the rage. Expect and accept a couple years of "stress" with our expansion. Or don't.

The camera in the truck I drive will start recording for no reason on smooth road...
other times you can jump a railroad tracks crossing and not set it off ?
Really no rhyme or reason when its going to go off.

Light going red is not a video. Flashing red and green is. From that point contractor reviews. Then to TM, then driver. I personally find the camera a non issue but to each their own. As I understand it, company is short dock help and dispatchers as well. Wasn't that long ago bitching about "the layoffs" was all the rage. Expect and accept a couple years of "stress" with our expansion. Or don't.

The only time I have ever seen the light alternate green/red is when the camera is set off by the gyroscope (bump/hard brake, etc). Things like following too close and lane deviation cause it to go straight to red for 60 seconds. I've been coached for incidents that the camera went straight to red, so yes, it does take a video.

The only time I have ever seen the light alternate green/red is when the camera is set off by the gyroscope (bump/hard brake, etc). Things like following too close and lane deviation cause it to go straight to red for 60 seconds. I've been coached for incidents that the camera went straight to red, so yes, it does take a video.

Huh. Get solid red far more often than get coached. Red green for excessive speed so not exclusive to gyroscope. Red green for being cut off as well. I don't know. Had ton of videos right away. Effort to learn and improve, I don't get many. My turn time hasn't increased five minutes, if at all. So, IMO, who gives a ::shit::?

Last edited:
Bottom line is...this driver was taking a drink while driving. That activity is considered "distracted driving."

Bottom line is...this driver was taking a drink while driving. That activity is considered "distracted driving."
Taking a drink isn't a severe coaching event. You could probably get 10 and be OK. You get one time on a handheld. ONE !!! Then your done. It's all about severity Buck. I think if most guys would be honest they would admit the perception of these cameras was worse than they actually turned out being. Sure, we would rather not have them given a choice but we don't have a choice. And they aren't bad enough to leave this cake job. SAIA's healthcare is worth it weight in gold. The best of the best.