XPO | Cameras in trucks

I can empathize...

But I am one loveable, huggable SOB!!!...

Perhaps a name change is in order.

Suggestions????

Rat

Oh heck..I had a few suggestions, but nevermind..lol

Don't change your name. You'll never be the same. Just keep posting..conway loves you....

I can empathize...

Suggestions????

Rat

Your name really does set your tone. Without it, your posts would read quite differently. Stick with what you got.

I can empathize...

Suggestions????

Rat
How about MR HAPPY.....or maybe.......I"M OUTTA HERE........or ....GOTTA GO.....or..........SEE YA......now get back in your RAT HOLE and stay there.

Look, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I'm just someone who has to deal with these things. And, as stated we are a union shop. and, it's miserable. You can make all the jokes you want about what you may or may not do, but the bottom line is, once they install these things, it opens the door for all kinds of "judgments". All by some clown who has never driven anything bigger than a KIA. It starts out as "protection for the good driver", but then swiftly deteriorates into micromanagement. I deal with this everyday, Until you go to work, turn the key, and wait for that light to go from green to red over nothing, and then wait for your management to call you into the office over stuff any normal person would laugh about, and then threaten you with job loss etc..you have no idea.
I retired from Yellow b/4 all this sh!t with the Big R happen I can tell you this our local 705 had it set up that anything that the company wanted to implement such as computers or other devices would not be used against us for any disciplinary reasons . If our Nextel's didn't necessary match with dispatch computers , too bad . If your were forging untruths on your manifest times etc that was a different story .Guess it depends on how good your local is . Sounds like yours could use a tune up .

The thing records 10 seconds before you turn the key on, so any attempts to cover it up are considered vandalism and can lead to termination (Union shop btw). When the light goes from green to red, it records 30 seconds of the event and 10 seconds of in cab video BEFORE the event.
If it can start recording 10 seconds BEFORE you turn on the key or BEFORE an event. There should be a BIG warning light that says, "You'll crash in 10 seconds!"

So they are basically always recording? Then they flag time before and after an event? I'd be interested to see how much it really saves before it loops and overwrites the non event data.

We have these where I work (Linde Group). And....they SUCK, big time. Everyone says "What do you have to hide ?". Well, nothing, really. It's just the idea of driving around all day or night just waiting for that light to go from green to red. Small bumps, tight turns, potholes and excessive braking can set it off. At first it was just about safety..That almighty excuse for micromanagement from the "laptops and MBA crowd". Now, it has become micromanagement in the extreme. "hey, you were yawning" (on a 14 hour trip). "Do you really need to drink water" (On a run through the Mojave desert to a mine). "You didn't have your seat belt on " (At fuel island). The thing records 10 seconds before you turn the key on, so any attempts to cover it up are considered vandalism and can lead to termination (Union shop btw). When the light goes from green to red, it records 30 seconds of the event and 10 seconds of in cab video BEFORE the event. So, if you had a cell phone around you, your screwed. It gives a wide angle view of the interior of the cab and both side mirrors. And trust me, your management will just love to start micromanaging your day, just like ours did. The Driver Safety and Driver Productivity System | Driver Risk Management
thank you for the info, if it gets to that level of 'trust', then management would have to pull me into the office once a day or once a week for a talk.

so being an ex-employee you should have no difficulty in listing all the safety elements of your present employer's equipment and why that employer will never fit in the same category of your previous big bad unsafe, un-caring employer. So why all the safety enhancements on the Cascadias? Lane departure warning and anti-collision both options the company choose to add to the tractors. In-dash radios and CB mounts on the dash, also safety enhancements. And those shiny new trailers mounted on an old axle because the axle carries the registration number have absolutely no safety improvements for the drivers... right? So why the added step between the D.O.T bumper and the floor of the trailer? Wow, once again I'm glad you came along to remind us about your big bad un-caring ex-employing company.

All fleets operating doubles and longer have a mix of ABS and non-ABS equipment. ABS technology does not reduce stopping distance. Actually at times it can extend it. I didn't miss the point at all. At the end of the day it's not whether a set was 100% ABS or not that PREVENTS our involvement in an incident. It's most often the ability of the driver that decides it. So we're back to a discussion on safety culture and behavior based driving. Safe practices and defensive driving ARE actions. Preventing the need for reactions saves lives.

This week you pull out the "they're so dangerous and don't care" soapbox. I'm wondering which one you pull out next week and stand on to remind me and all those who venture here of how much I don't know after 23 years as a DSR, 3 years in heavy equipment transportation, and 7 with refers. I mention rodents in training and you come along and throw a yellow flag asking for a personal attack penalty. Wow, the chance that a minion gets challenged and poof... the rodent comes calling aligning all non-believers in the cross-hairs of his keyboard.
what added step???? is that something new?

I retired from Yellow b/4 all this sh!t with the Big R happen I can tell you this our local 705 had it set up that anything that the company wanted to implement such as computers or other devices would not be used against us for any disciplinary reasons . If our Nextel's didn't necessary match with dispatch computers , too bad . If your were forging untruths on your manifest times etc that was a different story .Guess it depends on how good your local is . Sounds like yours could use a tune up .

LOL What local? Methinks you are confused as to what board you are speaking on... you mention the "u" word around here asses pucker up tighter than a snare drum!!

LOL What local? Methinks you are confused as to what board you are speaking on... you mention the "u" word around here asses pucker up tighter than a snare drum!!

It's all the guys in my barn talk about. But, be careful who you say that to. LOL. The union dream has been alive and growing here for some time.

Most of the biggest talkers come from other union jobs that went bad. I guess feeling like they can start fresh here and make it right.

I doubt they will follow through. And I think it's the wrong decision. But you never know what people will do.

It's all the guys in my barn talk about. But, be careful who you say that to. LOL. The union dream has been alive and growing here for some time.

Most of the biggest talkers come from other union jobs that went bad. I guess feeling like they can start fresh here and make it right.

I doubt they will follow through. And I think it's the wrong decision. But you never know what people will do.

Well, all I know (as this thread was about camera's in the trucks) is that having been a member of the IBT for lo these many years, is that "union protection" against these things does NOT exist. If you read the Sysco threads (and they have a much stronger local than we do), the union is absolutely clueless as to how to defend against the random terminations, suspensions etc. Our BA's reaction to DriveCam ? Hell, the whole local's reactions to DriveCam ?? DON'T answer the phone, DON'T show up. We don't want to hear about your problems. Definitely, not the Teamsters of "old".

The only way to affect change in anything is to DO something. People are scared. Why not? It's still a tough economy out there and folks are scared for their jobs, despite how unhappy they might be about certain aspects of it. If done right there could be massive change in the driver's favor without bringing in the IBT. That would involve lots of negotiation and some concession, on both the DSR and management. Sadly, the only folks asked to sacrifice in this outfit are the ones wearing the blue uniforms.

waiting for what... you answered your own question. And then you said you were really thinking about trailers. There will be the need for many more ticks and tocks if you expect a mind reading to also occur on my part. Safety has never been a bigger part of this company then it is today. The most current safety standards ARE federal standards which is federal law. What specific part of a rebuilt tractor or trailer do you feel is unsafe? People buy used cars from dealers everyday that are "certified" pre-owned. But I don't see anybody adding side impact airbags to a Geo Tracker because it's the right thing to do before I sell it.

Get out and look is a culture that the veterans have not decided to live. If you see G.O.A.L. as only a silly slogan then you are also another incident waiting to happen. And I said incident on purpose... if I had said accident then there would be one more excuse for you to say it wasn't your fault. So this "Culture" you speak of in regards to veterans, tell me Sparky since you know so much more than the boardroom, what's this culture look like and how do you get drivers to buy into it?

Why are the Cascadias safer? Because technology has developed to where the truck makes up for the culture the drivers aren't buying into. Safe following distance, actions not reactions, alert non-fatigued behaviors. A new Cascadia is like having your dad ride with you when you were 15. "Hey, pay attention, do you see that car slowing in front of you? Well what are you going to do about it? Don't make me come over there and hit those brakes for you!" And who other than your dad or a Cascadia will scream at you when you start drifting out of your lane because you're not paying attention.

And our green horns are safer! Graduates of the 12 Week school are safer. Why? Because get out and look is not a silly slogan to them, it's a system to manage the risks associated with every day life in LTL. We teach knowledge in the schools and offer knowledge everyday in safety training. What's the difference between the green horns getting it and the veterans avoiding it... attitude. Now this is where you get to come at me with "attitude is all the company's fault too".

I love rodents in training
Fish got the best of you here, man up and move on.