SAIA | Can Dispatchers really couch you? WTH!

I've never heard the term "couched" before.

Secondly, I'm not understanding how you keep running out of hours. I've had my ass run all over the damn place for 6 days more than once and haven't come close to hitting 70 hours.

I see you that you recently figured out how to see your remaining hours, maybe you were tracking your hours wrong and thought you had less than you really did.

In any case no one should be talking to you like that, no matter the circumstances. Ive never had anyone at Central talk to me like that. Sure, theyve at times been a little short with me, sometimes bordering on rude,(rarely) but never right over the line into calling me names.

I figured out that in order to not get abruptly cut off when trying to explain my situation, when someone answers, I ask to speak to the dispatcher for whatever city/region i am in, and when that person picks up, I tell them clearly what my name is and where I am at so they can quickly bring me up on their screen without having to ask for that info. Seems to make things go a lot quicker.

So today, I talk to the dispatcher who said I could take a reset. He said that dispatcher last night should not have called me, should not have talked to me like that and should not have put into the system I refused a run and was dinged points for improper absence. He said he had noted the day before I was approved for a 34 reset and marked what time I would be available and the guy ignored it. He can't take the improper absence off though. He also said every driver has the right to reset without harassment. He already had to go to bat last week for me for the idiot who claimed I refused a load, when all I did was ask a question about my having enough hours for the run. Nice work environment. Is this common?
Yes sir sure is. The dispatchers at night in Dallas both male's are jokes. They think they are so better then us drivers. And they are both ex drivers. All around horrible company to work for.

Are these dispatchers you are referring to at central, or located right at the terminal?

If they are at central, those conversations are recorded. Just report the disrespect to your TM. If the TM doesn't handle it, contact HR. Stay within the chain of command.

If they are at the terminal, again...the TM. Use the phrase "I feel disrespected and belittled and that isn't professional." That should get their attention

Working out of a big barn could mean that your work schedule is impacted by a local Central dispatcher. The hours information must be available, if they care to look, but some of these big barn local dispatchers are cranky and set in their ways. In my opinion, it is in your best interest to make their lives easier by doing whatever you can to help them use the least amount of effort, in determining how to use you for their greatest benefit. It's all about them. One way is to keep track of your available hours and what hours are coming back after midnight. When they call, you can supply them with accurate information, remember the cranky and set in their way opinion, and avoid any last minute pile reshuffling, which makes their job a little easier. Ask them what information, that they would want you to communicate to them early? Another way is that anything out of the ordinary, which makes you unavailable for them to use, such as an authorized stand down to reset your logbook , you call as soon as their shift starts and touch base with them. Anything that you can do to make their life a little easier is always a good thing. Remember, it's all about them. If you are in the system for a scheduled day, such as a vacation day, personal day, jury duty or whatever, you do not need to call because those days were authorized by another department and they can't touch those.

I agree with Jack Knife, I wouldn't let that improper absence stand. I would call Mark A and discuss the situation. Get his thoughts and then follow his advice. He will understand that you are new and still learning the system. The last piece of advice is to make sure that they can't see you flipping them off or hear you verbally abusing them, c'mon we've all done it, after they have made your life harder, while you were trying to make theirs easier.

I've always wondered, as Linehaul drivers, how much authority does a local TM have over us vs Central. If push comes to shove, who wins that fight?

Be fore warned mark a is a facts kinda man he is probably the most honest ,unbiased ,and fair manager at this company but don't try to bulls@"t him he is as straight up and serious as they come don't try to be his friend or kiss his butt he don't play that he sees everyone the same plays no favorites and only sticks to the facts. This company would be 100x better than it is now if everyone in management were like mark a

Hmmm, 2 pages about how dispatchers abuse and belittle drivers and the resident cheerleader, ex dispatcher is nowhere to be found.
Always two sides Joe and the other side never gets posted. I'm starting to get too old to get into a pissing contest with these young whipper snappers but I will if they push the Ole Timer. It never ends well for them and besides until you have been on the other side you could never understand anyway. We all answer to someone and it's a cover your ass world. Hell, Joe you know that much. How many times do we have to go round and round with never any winners?

Last edited:
Always two sides Joe and the other side never gets posted. I'm starting to get too old to get into a pissing contest with these young whipper snappers but I will if they push the Ole Timer. It never ends well for them and besides until you have been on the other side you could never understand anyway. We all answer to someone and it's a cover your ass world. Hell, Joe you know that much. How many times do we have to go round and round with never any winners?
AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHY SAIA IS COMING APART AT THE WHEELS. SO SAD

My point RAT is, you always cheer for the company regardless of the issue, cameras are good, we don't need a union, dispatchers are using their "go getter". Didja ever notice it's you by yourself? maybe, just maybe it's not everybody else that is wrong.