Central Transport | Can it really be that bad? YES!

Dock Man

Logistical Engineer
Credits
I work the dock at a Vitran Terminal for a number of years now and can honestly say things keep going down hill, not only for the dock workers but drivers as well. I know it takes a while for changes to take effect, but so far nothing has gotten better.

At first it used to be a pretty decent place to work, they had good management who cared about the employees and customers. Now it seems like the could care less. They f*cked over drivers left and right, causing many to leave and others to no longer care. And some of these replacements, I don't know where the got some of these guys from. They couldn't care less or couldn't find their a** with both their hands and a map. Some I don't even see how they got there CDL's . And the new management...

They fired the most knowledgeable people who knew the system, drivers, and customers; and replaced them with someone who was not even close to being in the same department. Now you have to keep constant watch on your time to make sure you are not getting shorted each week. And be on the look out so you don't get thrown under the truck by management for their own mistakes.

We have lost some good customers from lack of being able to properly dispatch drivers, lying to them, proper equipment, and not even having enough equipment available. There is a complete lack of any kind of building maintenance, craters in the yard and the dock, mold growing on the ceiling tiles, and the roof leaks onto freight.

I am not saying that all the people who work there are bad, there are still some people who truly care and work hard to make a difference, but the way the keep running the place they are getting few and far between.Now don't get me wrong, I know full well that this is a business and the object is to make money and certain things have to be cut to stay in the black, but without good employees and and no customers you will have now business left. Now this may seem harsh but from where I sit it's the truth, I don't want to have to go and look for another job, I should not have to. But if this keeps up Vitran will lose another good employee.

Last winter while I was laid off I worked for Vitran a few months while waiting to get the call back. It was a real eye opener, some of the trucks had to be jumped off every morning. I would of made more on unemployment than working there some weeks. Was so haaappppy to be called back. The pins fiasco was a kick in the hindquarters also.
I can only say good luck to you guys over there and sometimes the grass is greener on the otherside of the fence.

Wow now you know what it felt like at Chris Truck Lines. All of our good equiptment gone. Customers gone because of lack of our freight being seviced outside our area. Lost job no end in sight, endless stream of junk vitran trailers and dollies and lost freight and customers. I know it's not your fault for the above listed Items just saying....I hear what your saying.!!!!!!!!

And most of you are probably not doing anything about it, but sitting on your butts and complaining And all the while you watch some poor sap busting their tail and you guys not even lifting A finger !

Last winter while I was laid off I worked for Vitran a few months while waiting to get the call back. It was a real eye opener, some of the trucks had to be jumped off every morning. I would of made more on unemployment than working there some weeks. Was so haaappppy to be called back. The pins fiasco was a kick in the hindquarters also.
I can only say good luck to you guys over there and sometimes the grass is greener on the otherside of the fence.

But at least we haven't Laid any drivers off in 3 years that I know of.:butt kiss:

heck guys, just look at the Overland trailers you still have and figure they were at least 5 years old when they busted the union.

good luck, heard they have a new program where your line haul drivers get to be dock workers and yard men at their stops and all for the same money.

Good deal for the company.

heck guys, just look at the Overland trailers you still have and figure they were at least 5 years old when they busted the union.

good luck, heard they have a new program where your line haul drivers get to be dock workers and yard men at their stops and all for the same money.

Good deal for the company.

It Fattens my Back pocket & saves money for the company so they hopefully don't "take" any from the drivers