FedEx Freight | " can this happen ????? "

No comical "smilies" posted in that entry.
i didn't phrase that very well[busy shuddering!]the last TL guy to think he wanted to get into the LTL biz has just about completly destroyed what used to be a great name in freight,Central Freight Lines.

i didn't phrase that very well[busy shuddering!]the last TL guy to think he wanted to get into the LTL biz has just about completly destroyed what used to be a great name in freight,Central Freight Lines.

DD,
Central was only a great name because they were the 400 lb gorilla in a regulated market (texas). After deregulation, they proved what caliber predicted, and started shrivelling on the vine...

ST

DD,
Central was only a great name because they were the 400 lb gorilla in a regulated market (texas). After deregulation, they proved what caliber predicted, and started shrivelling on the vine...

ST
Having 5or6 different owners in the space of a decade and a half isn't a recipe for success either,but I still like putting the goat horns on Jerry Moyes,X-con,founder of Swift,and current owner of CFL.

Yes, they can sell their freight division. Its easy, spin off from National and go on the open market. But they never will. Why would they.

Yes, they can sell their freight division. Its easy, spin off from National and go on the open market. But they never will. Why would they.

Exactly. Obviously they wouldn't sell the name, but they could sell the assets and "book of business." Theoretically, they could sell any of their divisions, Express and Ground included.

Viking4ever: You asked this in what "sounded" like panic mode to me. Did you doze off in your recliner last night and have a bad dream of this happening? :biglaugh:

oaf

Never say Never, If the employee (no) Free Choice Act gets passed and the union gets it's hooks into FEDEX FREIGHT. Then all bets are off as to how fast FEDEX would dump the FREIGHT division. With yellow getting the wage concessions from teamster members the Teamsters will never be able to recover those wage givebacks for their members, This would make us very attractive for a spin off, wages suppressed, benefits suppressed, union leadership completely castrated, And all that technology we use that gives a competitive advantage... Sounds like a risk that a smart group of investors would jump on.

Never say Never, If the employee (no) Free Choice Act gets passed and the union gets it's hooks into FEDEX FREIGHT. Then all bets are off as to how fast FEDEX would dump the FREIGHT division. With yellow getting the wage concessions from teamster members the Teamsters will never be able to recover those wage givebacks for their members, This would make us very attractive for a spin off, wages suppressed, benefits suppressed, union leadership completely castrated, And all that technology we use that gives a competitive advantage... Sounds like a risk that a smart group of investors would jump on.
If they were worried about that they would just get out of business all together.

PS>No U talk on the FXF forum, thanks

FM

If anything I would think Fred's more likely to buy somebody. Google up some small regional or even a multi-regional carrier that's struggling. Sell off their assets and take the biz.

exactly. Obviously they wouldn't sell the name, but they could sell the assets and "book of business." theoretically, they could sell any of their divisions, express and ground included.

Viking4ever: You asked this in what "sounded" like panic mode to me. Did you doze off in your recliner last night and have a bad dream of this happening? :biglaugh:

Oaf

well if i rember viking closed all of its east coast terms and if we didnt close them we would be closing the west coast in 2 weeks in 1994