FedEx Freight | Can we be replaced during a strike?

FedexFool

TB Lurker
Credits
Yep. While you do have a right to strike and cannot be fired for striking, you can be replaced. In addition, if you engage in an economic strike, you would generally become an "economic striker."

As an economic striker, your employer is legally allowed to hire a permanent replacement to fill your job. As/if you and/or the union call off the strike, you are not entitled to your job back until a vacancy occurs. Instead, you would be placed on a preferential rehire list and may return to work only when an opening occurs.

The Right to Strike | NLRB

"Economic strikers defined. If the object of a strike is to obtain from the employer some economic concession such as higher wages, shorter hours, or better working conditions, the striking employees are called economic strikers. They retain their status as employees and cannot be discharged, but they can be replaced by their employer. If the employer has hired bona fide permanent replacements who are filling the jobs of the economic strikers when the strikers apply unconditionally to go back to work, the strikers are not entitled to reinstatement at that time. However, if the strikers do not obtain regular and substantially equivalent employment, they are entitled to be recalled to jobs for which they are qualified when openings in such jobs occur if they, or their bargaining representative, have made an unconditional request for their reinstatement."

Yep. While you do have a right to strike and cannot be fired for striking, you can be replaced. In addition, if you engage in an economic strike, you would generally become an "economic striker."

As an economic striker, your employer is legally allowed to hire a permanent replacement to fill your job. As/if you and/or the union call off the strike, you are not entitled to your job back until a vacancy occurs. Instead, you would be placed on a preferential rehire list and may return to work only when an opening occurs.

"Economic strikers defined. If the object of a strike is to obtain from the employer some economic concession such as higher wages, shorter hours, or better working conditions, the striking employees are called economic strikers. They retain their status as employees and cannot be discharged, but they can be replaced by their employer. If the employer has hired bona fide permanent replacements who are filling the jobs of the economic strikers when the strikers apply unconditionally to go back to work, the strikers are not entitled to reinstatement at that time. However, if the strikers do not obtain regular and substantially equivalent employment, they are entitled to be recalled to jobs for which they are qualified when openings in such jobs occur if they, or their bargaining representative, have made an unconditional request for their reinstatement."

holy crap at least change your script so it doesn't sound like a fedex mandatory meeting.

Four threads started within hours, all with correct grammar and punctuation. All against the union too. Just before two major votes.

You don't seem like a union buster or management at all.....

You are so right and 98% of contract renegotiations are resolved without a strike. A strike will still have to be voted on by the union employees. I don't see it getting to that point from either side. The company does not want the PR from a strike anymore then us wanting to loose the pay or job status.

Four threads started within hours, all with correct grammar and punctuation. All against the union too. Just before two major votes.

All along I have been very reluctant to accuse anyone of being management or a union buster, because there are legitimate people against. But wow this is pretty blatant!!! If this is by a payed union buster or even management they are not helping their cause, they are making me want to come back just to vote yes!!

DUH! we be to dumb so see who this be!!!!!!!!! AYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Its nice of you to bump up posts that expose the lies fedex is putting out.

You pro union guys are on here everyday spewing your lies and half truths . I have been reading the posts and anytime someone does not fall in line with the union all you guys just try to wear them down with your insults and he must be a "redshirt or management ". Keep it up guys and show how greedy the "me crowd" is. Why is it that guys from other LTL are pushing for this? Could it be they need our dues to pay for that big retirement they were promised?
YRC-ATM. Go troll somewhere else. You not wanted here. IMHO

You pro union guys are on here everyday spewing your lies and half truths . I have been reading the posts and anytime someone does not fall in line with the union all you guys just try to wear them down with your insults and he must be a "redshirt or management ". Keep it up guys and show how greedy the "me crowd" is. Why is it that guys from other LTL are pushing for this? Could it be they need our dues to pay for that big retirement they were promised?
YRC-ATM. Go troll somewhere else. You not wanted here. IMHO
Dues dont go towards pensions. Just another lie.

The notion that voting in a union means strike. Instilling fear is union busting 101 but I'm sure you know that from your union busting classes.

So you are saying they won't strike? If you are saying this then why vote in the union? That is the only leverage we would have to get what we want. Right? Telling half truths is union pushing 101. But I'm sure you know this from your meetings. IMHO

So you are saying they won't strike? If you are saying this then why vote in the union? That is the only leverage we would have to get what we want. Right? Telling half truths is union pushing 101. But I'm sure you know this from your meetings. IMHO

Everyone wins with a negotiated contract. Company, Shareholders, Drivers. Win, Win, WIN! Why exclude drivers? Sounds like you are saying "we are NOT worth better". Yep, that is the bottom line.

I didnt say there wouldn't be a strike. I said that voting in a union doesnt mean you are going on strike. You need to learn to read AND comprehend.