FedEx Freight | Can we be replaced during a strike?

Go over to the keep FedEx.union free Facebook page and look at the letter they got their hands on. Then tell me about fear is not part of the union equation .

A direct link would be nice... I usually provide you with a link. Thanks

Never mind, I'll do it. https://www.facebook.com/1482754048...754048659922/1502320243369969/?type=1&theater

In Fact, it does not say what the assman had said it says. It says win at all cost. NOT lie, cheat, steal. It says "Corporate campaign against FedEx". Doesn't say Freight, and there is no date, so I have no clue as to how old it is. Likely pretty old, especially as no Texas or Florida Freight centers have petitioned... Yet.

Could it be fake? Yeah. Is it fake? I don't know. I suspect fake, considering the source, and the refernce to schools.

And what does this have to do with fear being a part of the equation, for some? Oh, the drama...

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, you are wrong. I've never demeaned anyone by calling them chicken, or lacking bravado, etc. Go read my posts. Try to dispute the facts. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.

As far as your accusations here, I must not share your intelect, because I just don't get the point... I'm confused and loosing interest.

Wow. Obviously we do not share much at all. Let me explain:

The object, if I understand it correctly, is to recruit new Teamsters and organize Fed Ex and Conway. The Teamsters benefitted me for 22 years of my 40 years driving trucks, 50 years around trucks. I said nothing that is against the movement, and I was led to believe that you were also seeking this.

Before you responded to MY posts, I responded to this post:

nasvegas said:
I never seen people get treated so bad for so long and still beat the company drum!! Not me! I have a backbone!!
(post 113)

My post (114) was:
jimmy g said:
I just enjoy the references to backbones and large gonads during debates inferring that anyone disagreeing with said poster has none...

If you hadn't demeaned anyone, why did you interject yourself in response to my post?

(#115)
swampratt said:
Only the ones with no reason to share, other than fear of what the commpany "might" do... have no back bone, or significant "gonads" that you speak of, IMHO. Others, I can respectfully disagree with.

In my opinion, basically, you overlooked that the objective is to recruit. Your entire post was demeaning of anyone not agreeing with your comments.

Then nasvegas repsonded:
nasvegas said:
We have people at my center that agree that it's bad, but say they don't want to commit to union or they will sign a card when FedEx signs a contract.

So if you know it's bad and do nothing what does that say about a individual?

If you want to jump on board after the hard work is done what does that say about a individual?

To me, that shows that after this is done, there'll be no unity, but grudges and payback against those who voted no. In my opinion, Teamsters are supposed to be Brotherhood, not payback. But that's me....

My response to nasvwegas was:
jimmy g said:
So a guy who disagrees with your view is spineless? It seems to be what you infer.

That's a fair question. Nothing at all of fear. Certainly nothing proposing a no vote.... But then , here comes swampratt......

swampratt said:
Cute, but meaningless, as I replied to your false accusation

Fear is not the determining factor. Education can conquer fear. The brave go forward despite their fears, to do what needs done.

Weak debate positions often benefit from deflection into other areas of discussion, as you have shown, quite vividly, in your follow up posts.

Thumper? Get back up...

Bambi

Nothing at all to do with anything, except to prove your 'intellect' and your 'cute' demeaning way. Basically, I picture you as a peacock pruning your plumage in front of a mirror, admiring your greatness, while the objective of organizing is lost. Somehow, you've convinced yourself that I'm working against the cause, and injecting 'fear'- whatever that is..... Whatever you self-important narcissism is all about is beyond me- but it added nothing to your stated cause of organizing....

So I posted this- not to you at all, since you believe you demeaned no one- but apparently only to nasvegas
jimmy g said:
My point to the 'backboned' is: Jeff lets you use this fine forum to further your cause/ express your view. And instead of posting convincing positives as to 'why join', you demean others as chicken. Not a convincing argument. And I have earned a 22 yr teamster pension.... Why would anyone want to join You????

I find it a valid point.I asked a similar question during the YRCW concession vote: (6/23/2014- the 'I've had enough' thread)
jimmy g said:
I always get a kick out the scenario that replays eternally:

YRC guy says his company is crap. Non-U guy says come here. NonU is portrayed as His Mother wears Army Boots, His Dad's the Town Drunk, His Sister is a skank, His Brother pees his pants, His Dog has mixed puppies with fleas. Then he's asked 'why not sign aa Pledge Card and we'll be Brothers????? The same guys that were skunks at Overnite suddenly were Fantastic Brothers in Arms as UPSF????? Never ceases to amaze me....

swampratt: Get over yourself,, your self- importance, and (if you really Do want to organize)- quit accusing me of injecting fear or deflecting. My position is clear. Demeaning a person isn't a good way to ask them to join your club. That was my point then, and will continue to be. Nothing you responded with is germaine....

jimmy I've been reading these posts a few weeks now and nasvegas and swamp rat have been very civil especially under the attacks they're undergoing in the real world and on here.

You found one of the few demeaning type posts they made and attempted to demean them 20x now.
They dont need it.Sorry.
Their jobs are on the line and they're up against a whole lot of money and power.
It does take alot of courage to do what they're doing.
They are the colonists.
The company is King George.

The king really doesn't need your help.
It's actually been pretty civil considering the situation.

The guys on the company side have help on the clock whilst the guys your arguing with are under the company thumb. They have help all day long...the company side does.

I did not accuse YOU of interjecting fear. I do accuse the Company of interjecting fear. I stand by that 100%

The rest is not worth my time or effort to debate. I'm only here to promote clear thinking on the issue. We likely agree more than you realize, but I'm not really concerned one way or the other.

Other than that "correction", I have nothing to add.

I did not accuse YOU of interjecting fear. I do accuse the Company of interjecting fear. I stand by that 100%

The rest is not worth my time or effort to debate. I'm only here to promote clear thinking on the issue. We likely agree more than you realize, but I'm not really concerned one way or the other.

Other than that "correction", I have nothing to add.
I've said my piece. Apparently we can't communicate. I've moved on, back to jmmy's world. http://www.truckingboards.com/forum/politics/101350-jimmy-world-version-least-5-a.html. Best of luck in your endeavour.

I'm really happy your enjoying the fruits of your labor. The problem is your more the exception than the rule. When deregulation hit in 1980 some of the great union carriers like PIE, ETMF, IML, and Transcon, were scrambling to stay in business. When they went to the union asking for help, the unions answer was to put pickets at the front gate. At the same time non union carriers were flourishing because they were flexible and able to change with the conditions. Then there were just two. When Dollar Bill went on his spending spree, he buried Yellow in red ink. It took the combination of the Teamsters, management, banks and the share holders to temporarily save the company. Dollar Bill took his two million dollar bonus and left the company. The survival of Yellow is still questionable. If you ever get to SoCal, drop in and we'll have an adult beverage and talk about the good old days. TP
Basically Bill Zollars was forced out with a buyout.

Come on ass, even you arent that blind. Petitions for a union vote start coming in and the company just decides to get rid of one of the biggest complaints the drivers have? Are you that ignorant ass? As for me, outbound is a long way from being done when I am punched out and gone. Perhaps I'm over at your place taking care of Mrs Ass while you are working that outbound slab.[/QUOTE

YRC-ATM you just proven what i have been saying all along. Teamsters are nothing but a class of low lifes. It takes a real man to pull someones wife into a conversation. But i am not concerned about some little boy like you trying to take care of my wife, because she enjoys talking to someone with teeth. flat gut and full head of hair. That is the reason YRC is going out of business not because of the teamsters, its becasue they have someone like you representing them. And you are the ignorant one, because anyone who has worked for FEDEX, key word is worked, reason why you will never be employed here, knows that they do not do anything, i mean anything, without having conferance call after conferance call. So again YRC how do you know? DB
Will you people quit bringing family members into this forum.Would you all quit degrading one another.That isn't solving anything.All it shows is how small you are in the brain.
We are all labor here.Dont be low lifes.Solidarity is the key.If you haven't won the lottery or inherited some gigantuan amount of wealth.Enabling you and your family to be independently wealthy.Then you're still in the workplace working for the MAN.
You can continue to not to have a voice and dignity in the workplace and suffer the oppression and take whatever the MAN allows you to have.Or you can have solidarity and unity and have a much better working life and better family life.The MAN does not love you.The MAN does not care about you or your family.Take your pick.Solidarity and a better life or keep on getting scraps from whatever the MAN allows you.A friend of labor is a friend of mine.Peace and Solidarity and Unity always.

Yep. While you do have a right to strike and cannot be fired for striking, you can be replaced. In addition, if you engage in an economic strike, you would generally become an "economic striker."

As an economic striker, your employer is legally allowed to hire a permanent replacement to fill your job. As/if you and/or the union call off the strike, you are not entitled to your job back until a vacancy occurs. Instead, you would be placed on a preferential rehire list and may return to work only when an opening occurs.

The Right to Strike | NLRB

"Economic strikers defined. If the object of a strike is to obtain from the employer some economic concession such as higher wages, shorter hours, or better working conditions, the striking employees are called economic strikers. They retain their status as employees and cannot be discharged, but they can be replaced by their employer. If the employer has hired bona fide permanent replacements who are filling the jobs of the economic strikers when the strikers apply unconditionally to go back to work, the strikers are not entitled to reinstatement at that time. However, if the strikers do not obtain regular and substantially equivalent employment, they are entitled to be recalled to jobs for which they are qualified when openings in such jobs occur if they, or their bargaining representative, have made an unconditional request for their reinstatement."

Back on topic: as info:

Two types of strikes, only info on one type was given, the two different kind are
“economic strikers” and “unfair labor practice strikers.”

A strike that commences for purely economic reasons may be converted into an unfair labor practice strike if the employer engages in conduct which may subsequently be determined by the National Labor Relations Board (the "Board") to have been in violation of the Act. Examples of such conduct are: bargaining found by the Board to have been in bad faith (i.e., changes in terms and conditions of employment without bargaining with the union; surface bargaining; direct negotiations with employees, bypassing the union; discharge or discipline of employees because of union activity; threats or promises designed to undermine the union.

Strikes for a lawful object.Employees who strike for a lawful object fall into two classes “economic strikers” and “unfair labor practice strikers.” Both classes continue as employees, but unfair labor practice strikers have greater rights of reinstatement to their jobs.

Unfair labor practice strikers defined.Employees who strike to protest an unfair labor practice committed by their employer are called unfair labor practice strikers. Such strikers can be neither discharged nor permanently replaced. When the strike ends, unfair labor practice strikers, absent serious misconduct on their part, are entitled to have their jobs back even if employees hired to do their work have to be discharged.

If the Board finds that economic strikers or unfair labor practice strikers who have made an unconditional request for reinstatement have been unlawfully denied reinstatement by their employer, the Board may award such strikers backpay starting at the time they should have been reinstated.

The Right to Strike | NLRB

Please refrain from hijacking the thread to attack each other, please feel free to post facts. If you would like to attack me or others feel free to start a new thread.

So a guy who disagrees with your view is spineless? It seems to be what you infer.

I had a teacher once who switched roles by the minute. Never told his real view. Taught to debate facts. Leave emotion home.... Emotion is the lazy argument....

Don't mind me. I'm an equal opportunity offender...

Nope. If you have legitimate reasons for not wanting a union I can respect that.

I referring to the ones that agree that Nashville is out of control or certain individuals are worst management ever, but are to scared to act. Or the ones that wont help with the process but will get in line when the candy is handed out! Those are the ones I have a problem with.

There is a gentleman here that I have approached and he said no. I ask him why and he told me of 2 examples of bad experiences with union. I have no problem with him. I said from the beginning I will not strong arm anyone, but I don't have to agree with the ones the admit it's bad but do nothing about it or want a handout when the work is done!!

Nope. If you have legitimate reasons for not wanting a union I can respect that.

I referring to the ones that agree that Nashville is out of control or certain individuals are worst management ever, but are to scared to act. Or the ones that wont help with the process but will get in line when the candy is handed out! Those are the ones I have a problem with.

There is a gentleman here that I have approached and he said no. I ask him why and he told me of 2 examples of bad experiences with union. I have no problem with him. I said from the beginning I will not strong arm anyone, but I don't have to agree with the ones the admit it's bad but do nothing about it or want a handout when the work is done!!
came to let you know to prepare for personal mental anguish then. A Collective Bargaining Agreement covers all- not just the ones you think 'deserve it.' more than that, actually- my son works at a US Air Force Base. Their Union is forced by law to represent all employees there even if they refused to join the union.

A Steward actually (generality here) normally ends up spending a majority of his time representing the same 5 'users of the system' over and over and over again. Still beats what you describe though if it's that horrible where you are now. But frustrating if you go in with your view....

came to let you know to prepare for personal mental anguish then. A Collective Bargaining Agreement covers all- not just the ones you think 'deserve it.' more than that, actually- my son works at a US Air Force Base. Their Union is forced by law to represent all employees there even if they refused to join the union.

A Steward actually (generality here) normally ends up spending a majority of his time representing the same 5 'users of the system' over and over and over again. Still beats what you describe though if it's that horrible where you are now. But frustrating if you go in with your view....

Your correct in the representation part but the steward won't fight nearly as hard for a non member as he will for a member.

Basically Bill Zollars was forced out with a buyout.

Look up colossal failure and there is a picture of Dollar Bill. The worse CEO ever in the LTL market. He stayed as long as he did because on contract obligations. If he was tarred and feathers and ran out of town on a rail any sooner he would have collected a rumored 34 million dollars. Under his command 50K teamsters loss their job, and the company lost 4.5 Billion Dollars. YRC's survival is still tenuous.

Grievances can be "lost" long enough to be untimely.

I have had people tell me the grievance process is a joke. This was from paying brothers. Looks like from what you are saying this is true.
I guess it depends on where you are. I settle most of my money grievances without having to file. I take the complaint to the company, they know they ****ed up, and they pay. Keep it in-house.

I have had people tell me the grievance process is a joke. This was from paying brothers. Looks like from what you are saying this is true.
I am talking about dealing with a "member" who doesnt pay dues. They wont necessarily get top notch representation.