Can we ever stop this crap...??????

Discussion in 'The Drivers Lounge' started by pro1driver, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Guardrail

Guardrail Super Moderator Staff Member

I do my grocery shopping at 3am, on the way home from work. No Girl Scouts, no bell ringers, no nobody. There are times I can't even find a register girl.

Guardrail

2. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Times coming when the store will read your microchip and the items you carry out and deduct the amount from your banking... already done on beaches in Spain. I see it as Evil most as convenient

3. Roadrunner73

Roadrunner73 Well-Known Member

I see it as a new way to get robbed blind. Go ahead and dispute the charge when it shows on your bank statement. The response will be our machines don't make mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. autocar65

autocar65 Local 767

Maybe so. But what he does with the money is between him and his maker. All I can do is give the gift. I do have that right after all, just like you have the right to tell 'em "No". But anytime any of us berate others for being charitable have we become part of the solution or part of the problem? I have a cousin who is dying a slow and miserable death, he is a Vietnam Vet who not only exists with the effects of agent orange but is also a member of what is known as "The Walking Dead". The man is a mess and his life on earth is nothing less than a torment to him. If a bottle would ease his torment for a few hours then why not? The last thing my cousin Mike needs is for someone to go all self righteous on him.

Kindness, Charity and Compassion....when do you know when there is too much of it? I don't know and neither does anyone else on this earth. I don't think we have ever seen enough.

5. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

"tongue in cheek".......maybe......

tax abatement's....to build....???..never heard of it.

stores may want to be civic minded or serve in the best interest of the community, but they need also to serve the paying customers that wish not to be molested entering or exiting the stores as well...these charities ought to not be allowed to be at the stores before 10 AM, and should only be given a spot at the exit door, OR in CORNER of the parking lot.

i wish i could shop after midnight and before 6 AM, but ALL the stores in my area are CLOSED, and open up at or about 7-8 AM daily, with the exception of Lowe's, that opens at 6:30 AM daily.

sheesh...at 6:30 AM, inside of a Lowe's when i need to go there, try finding ANY employee working...

6. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

sorry to hear about your cousin. i'd not want to be living under his circumstances.

but there is a difference between him and the street bum...the street bum is either an alcoholic, or drug addict, or both....give to him, you are an enabler to his habit.

your cousin is in pain, strong meds or a good stiff drink may help him a bit, to alleviate his pains.

give to your cousin, you are providing short term relief, you are not enabling his "habit", as i would be most certain that he actually eats meals and stays off street drugs, and does not drink to excess.

when do you know there is too much of kindness, compassion and charity..???

when we are consistently bombarded with tv ads, jammed up intersections, door knockers, and message boards members that have had enough of all this crap of people looking for handouts, and see no end of it all...

7. RacerX69

RacerX69 Retired Gear Jammer/IBEW Retired/Wingnut

Last year I went into a grocery store in the town where pro1driver lives and they have it set up kind of like that. Customers are registered, and have their debit account linked. The carts have scanners on them, and as you select merchandise you scan it and drop it in. You bring your own reusable cloth bags. When you are done shopping you simply leave the store with your groceries.

8. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Not to beat this to death- but how do you know the background of each bum on the corner? It could be they are lazy; could be that ACar's cousin Mike is one. Or a different war vet is one. Maybe a physical abuse victim. Or maybe a different scenario- or maybe they are an illegal or a druggie. We have no idea who what why where when how for any of them. So don't give or give- up to you. But assumptions seem just that- assumptions....

9. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

If enough paying customers complain- that'll happen. Most aren't seeking victimhood as to complain about actually walking by a group that needs charity to survive while probably shaping the future generation's base morals and work ethic and such. We become what we seek. Victimhood, loner, complainer- just as seeking to make our community a better place for our kids and grandkids. I Am has meaning. It's reflected in Little League parks, Scouting Groups, etc. If our towns are trashpits or clean sidewalks comes directly from these activities...

10. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

New manufacturing plants get breaks on their taxes in return for bringing jobs. It's called Abatement. Some stores like WalMart get it too...

11. autocar65

autocar65 Local 767

Well, I know that you and I both agree that if we had a thriving economy it would help. It is like seeing those people on the side of the road with the signs promoting a local business. God bless them for at least trying. A rising tide lifts all ships.

12. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

and a torpedo on target......sinks'em.......

13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Active Member

I actually like the cookies and the four bucks is about half what I spend on a container of my favorite cookies at the deli.

And I often tip the salesgirl. It makes me feel like big shot.

14. SuperCourse

SuperCourse Well-Known Member

Cuomo put it on steroids...

Albany, NY (May 28, 2013)

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced support from local officials across the state since the unveiling of Tax-Free NY, a game-changing initiative that will transform SUNY campuses and university communities across the state into tax-free communities that attract start-ups, venture capital, new business, and investments from across the world.

“Since we announced Tax-Free NY last week, local officials across New York State have begun expressing their support for this groundbreaking economic development initiative,” Governor Cuomo said. “Tax-Free NY will transform communities across Upstate New York into magnets for new businesses, start-ups and investment and generate an unprecedented level of economic activity and job creation in our counties, cities and towns.”

Governor Cuomo Announces Support for Tax-Free NY Initiative from Local Officials Across New York | Governor Andrew M. Cuomo

15. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Yet he'll be amongst the first to call for higher income taxes? He makes zero sense, except that he's positioning to run as Hillary's VP???

16. SuperCourse

SuperCourse Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with the Girl Scouts, in fact it's a little comforting to see them, it's like an antidote to Miley Cyrus.

17. autocar65

autocar65 Local 767

Kill joy!!!!!

18. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

19. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

Another "wanting a hand out", at yet another market I go to...!!

This morning, I went to the local ALDI market ( https://www.aldi.us/) , they open up at 10 AM on Sunday's. I was only there to buy a few items for the week. Well, with the clocks being set 1 hour ahead last night, I was dozing off in my car till the doors opened.

There was a guy sitting down near the door, so I thought he was wanting to get in as well.

First, he goes to another car in the lot....then he walked over to mine. I was drowsy, and as I said, dozing off, and he knocked on my window. he asked for a cigarette, but i do not smoke'em.

He then asked for a "couple of bucks to help him out".

I said I barely had enough in my pocket to buy what I needed. He said, ok thanks anyways.

In a few minutes, he hears (as did I), a couple of guys near the back of the building, throwing trash into the dumpster at the apartment house. He goes over there, and asks for a hand out, one guy gave him something.

when the doors finally opened up, I got my items and asked to talk with the manager. I told him of the pan handling at the door. the manager went out, and told the guy to leave, and he did, with out any trouble.

I told the manager, I come to this store to buy things, and not wanting to be molested or harassed at either the entrance or exit doors.

I think that this idea of going and standing at any store and panhandling should somehow be stopped, but how do you do it...??

hire security guards..???...which would then be passed onto the customers in higher prices..???

good thing he wasn't selling girl scout cookies..>!!!!

20. autocar65

autocar65 Local 767

I see people jumping into those dumpsters all the time looking for something to eat. Shall we just shoot 'em all?

I doubt that you had been molested by anyone, inconvenienced perhaps. C'mon man, there are people out there that are having a tough time living.