Career Ending Operation???

UPDATE: November 20, 2018

i got in this morning's mail, my driver's license renewal.....my expiration is not until january on my birthday.

here, my state starts that REAL ID in December....on the 3rd.

it is free at renewal time, then after that, it is $16.50

what i will do is, i will go to the local AAA office and inquire as to whether or not i can renew my driver's license long before my birthday, just after the December 3rd start date for the REAL ID...

i do not do any air travel, but for free, why not..???

(it'll be an operator's license, not a CDL, as my CDL was downgraded some years ago now, thanks to this injury)

the cost of my soon to be new operator's license will be $61.50, rather than the what, well over $150 for my CDL, which would include the hazmat test as well...here in my state, they tacked on "fee's" to every imaginable DMV thing that they can......then the finger-printing which was what, another cash grab at about $90..????

i see too, where my driver's license number stays the same.....i would have thought that going from a CDL to an operator's license, the number would have changed, to separate the CDL from an operator's license, apparently, not....

i see too, that i still have my motorbike endorsement, not that i'll be riding any more motorbikes....

Secondary UPDATE:

on a second note, Thursday of last week, i went to see an attorney that specializes in disability claims, and started the process for that....

way too much paperwork (we did it online at his office) for me to deal with, as you know, in anything gooberment, you make ONE stinking mistake, and your form gets kicked back to start all over again....took about an hour to complete.

he told me in 2-3 weeks, forms will come in the mail for me to fill out, but to NOT mail them in, to call him instead, and make an appointment to go back to his office, for him to go over first..

i wait with joy...joy...joy...for my next (and hopefully) last major back operation.....and the really GOOD FOOD at the hospital..!!!

i kid you not...!!! that particular hospital has some really GOOD FOOD.....they just DON'T give you enough, i have to keep asking for crackers.......!!!...i think this time, i'll have someone sneak in a pizza for me......(seriously)

my workman's comp attorney is still waiting for the insurance company to send him a letter stating that i am totally disabled, as per THEIR doctor.....it has been past 20 days, and he had to petition the courts for that letter.

when that comes in, that puts my claim into another year (or more) of collecting at the very least......

given the operation and recovery and physical therapy, and from past experiences, i have no idea on the outcome.

will i be able to walk, or not anymore.....i don't know......but i do know that, i have full confidence in my surgeon, i should point out.

i have until April of 2020 to be at the end of the 6th year of workman's comp, and if i ain't no better, that total disability from the insurance company will kick in for another year, (maybe longer) if i heard the attorney correctly, making it a whatever amount of years, claim.

clearly, one for "Ripley's Believe It or Not", or the "Guiness Book of World Records"

UPDATE: November 29, 2018

well as promised, by the disability lawyer, SS sent me no less than 3 envelopes, with forms for me to fill out.

my god, you'd think half the world's forests arrived...

did the best i could to fill in the blanks, some were LEFT BLANK, as i did not know how to answer those particular questions.

i have another appointment next week, with the disability lawyer, for hm to go over the entire sets of forms, corrections and answers will be included then..

i was told by his office lady, that they fax those on over to SS, which i guess is a good thing, over mailing them..??

still eagerly awaiting the january 2019 date to get this next (and hopefully final) operation done.

just for kicks, i went to the physical therapy place, to update them as well...my tech was not there however.

told the receptionist (she knows my w/c lawyer, thier daughters go to the same school), that she will be getting contacted regarding handing over my records to SS.

i can see why now, it can take "up to" 120 days for SS to arrive at a decision either for or against a disability claim, with all the paperwork they have to go thru, and thier own doctor as well viewing everything...

but tell you what, if any of you too have to file for SS disability, my best recommendation is to secure a lawyer well versed in that..

do a search online for the best in your state, and choose from that. mine is in the top 10.

i did not know that, i went to him cuz my niece did, so to me, that was just as good a recommendation as possible.

UPDATE: December 5, 2018

went to the other lawyer i have, this one is for the SS disability claim.

he and i went over many questions on the forms, that i had to leave blank, since i wasn't too sure in how to answer them.

took us about 30 minutes or so to complete the process. then my work comp lawyer, had to fax over the calculations used in determining the amount of workman's comp i get weekly.

all these forms get faxed over to SS, for thier reading pleasure now.

in the meantime, from my last update from a week ago, i had yet gotten another form form SS disability, with a December 10th due date......that was also faxed over to them yesterday as well....

now i await either a denial on my first try for disability, or an approval......

as i still await my january scheduled operation.....

UPDATE: December 11, 2018

well, i got an email today, the lawyers are supposed to go to court tomorrow, to argue me being put on total disability, due to the insurance doctor's report..

the insurance company wants, "the matter is going to be rescheduled because Dr. xxxx has been asked for a clarification of his opinion on total v. partial disability."

i had asked my lawyer if this changes the disability lawyer that i have now, that has already started the process, of me getting onto total disability.

he could not answer that, and i could not contact the disability lawyer as well.

the operation is "still a go" for january......

i think frankly, it's in black and white, on the IME report, that he clearly states i am totally disabled.

more updates as i get them.....

Wow your case has really dragged out,I've met folks who have gotten full SSI Disability in just a few months.
yes, yes it has...but i had complications after the first surgery, then one denial after another for revision surgery. which then necessitated several court appearances. then too, the stopped w/c checks, which necessitated even more court appearances. then the stopped physical therapy, which necessitated in yet more court appearances.

then all the delays form the insurance company.

i am reminded of what another member here said, in fact, this is what he said in a way earlier posting about my case:

"

Don't take this the wrong way, but I know a lot of people with screwed up backs , and plenty of metal in them, that still drive truck. Even if you stopped driving truck, why is disability an option? It drives me crazy that disability is thought of as an alternative to retirement.

Guardrail'

he said that way back in posting # 17

and in # 25 he says this
"Sorry, this is where we disagree. Disability is not an entitlement. It is there so people that are disabled and unable to work at all can still survive. It isn't there for someone to use because they paid in and now they can't perform a certain job. This country is circling the drain because too many are on the public dole. If your back surgery is crippling, by all means, get disability. Spinal fusion is rarely crippling."

so as anyone can see and read from my BS with this injury, it was not a case of black and white, and one and be done operation...

clearly, no one should render such an opinion with out full knowledge of the particular individual.

i said something in an earlier post, that made him say he disagree'd with my opinion/thoughts on being "entitled" to disability, where clearly, this is where i am headed for into my future, that's a given fact...now, and i can assure everyone here, that I WILL TAKE ALL that i am entitled to under the laws of disability.

how much longer will my case go on..??

i have no idea, but the "wheels" are in motion, for that total disability, which does seem after all....i am entitled to.

i should point out too, that i do not have any pension plan i can live on. i never really stayed long enough at any employer to be vesting into a pension plan...i only have an incredibly SMALL savings account which will dry up rather quickly...my accountant says that my home "will be" my retirement fund, when i go to sell that, and only then, i have to cross my fingers and hope and pray that i can get a good price on it.

i will be asking my disability attorney, if i'd even be qualified for food stamps...this ain;t no bullcrap.....

anything that as a former worker for something like 40 years, that i am entitled to under the laws of disability, i want.

what should be galling to many is, the people that come into this country with nothing...and get it all......over a BORN AMERICAN

Last edited:
You ever think by now, the Work Comp insurance companies, their lawyers etc. are reading these posts? It’s a huge possibility they have been physically following/monitoring you and sniffing for intel here.

I’m not saying anything is wrong or trying to scare you, but it’s a somewhat revealing, if not detailed treasure trove of your very long interesting journey.

Be safe, be aware and hope you finally get to that end point in your work comp case with some decent mobility to stay active.

BTW...I don’t know the details as I lost touch with the person but a coworker of mine ended up needing multiple fusions and revisions. He ended up getting his full disability about 2 years after his journey.
He no longer works and a side effect? He became inactive and gained so much weight that he basically ate himself into a wheel chair just to get around.

Just stay active after your journey concludes pro1.

You ever think by now, the Work Comp insurance companies, their lawyers etc. are reading these posts? It’s a huge possibility they have been physically following/monitoring you and sniffing for intel here.

I’m not saying anything is wrong or trying to scare you, but it’s a somewhat revealing, if not detailed treasure trove of your very long interesting journey.

Be safe, be aware and hope you finally get to that end point in your work comp case with some decent mobility to stay active.

BTW...I don’t know the details as I lost touch with the person but a coworker of mine ended up needing multiple fusions and revisions. He ended up getting his full disability about 2 years after his journey.
He no longer works and a side effect? He became inactive and gained so much weight that he basically ate himself into a wheel chair just to get around.

Just stay active after your journey concludes pro1.
which is why of course i do not use my real name, nor any name of anyone else involved. nor locations of hospitals, doctors, etc,etc.

pretty benign updates i am giving when i do update.

some people get onto disability rather quickly, others give up when they get the package of forms to fill out. this is why an attorney well versed in that, should be hired.

this is why too, getting an attorney well versed in compensation claims is all too important as well.

only a really well versed person can take on the insurance companies, but even then, there are no guarantee's of any good outcome.

the w/c attorney is free to me, w/c insurance pays for all his time.

the disability attorney is free to me as well, he gets his fee from SS when the case is resolved.

i would "like to asume", that would be true in all U.S. States.....

i have already gained some weight, as i cannot exercise,(i did a lot of walking) so of course, i have to watch not only what i eat, but how much i eat at one sitting, and how often i eat.

sugary snacks are not something i gorge on, do to inactivity.

i have gone thru some major life changes during all this time, that i am leaving out as well, maybe someday i will elaborate on what has happened thanks in part to the inept insurance company, in more ways than one.

which is why i have had the attitude i have regarding what I WILL TAKE if i am entitled to, under the state/federal laws regarding disability, and all else.

my new drivers license arrived just now...

only went to the AAA office last week, so this was a quick turn around (they tell you up to 3 weeks to get it) and i do recall the gal at the AAA office saying that december is the slowest month at the DMV, so things do move along faster.

it is not the REAL ID, due to some BS about my name not being in full on my SS and my old drivers license, but is so, on my birth certificate.......but who cares right now, it's not a CDL anymore.

funny too, it is not encased in the laminated form, making it hard and unbendable.......it is like a cardboard, kinda flimsy...and it can bend very easily....i just showed it to my sister, hers is like that as well...

what a way to cheap out.

but hey, it's only $61.50, compared to about (or over) $200 for the CDL and the hazmat test/fingerprinting

UPDATE: January 8, 2019

had to go to the hospital last Friday, for the pre-op tests.

blood work, EKG, and a chest x-ray.

then the nurse swabbed my nose.

well, it was found that i have some sort of bacterial infection....no kidding, i am in the midst of a sinus infection!

the infection may have been there last Friday, but i became sick Sunday..

so the surgeons office prescribed some sort of nasal antibiotic (?) gel..i actually went thru this with my first operation when i got hurt, in 2014.

the second operation in 2017, everything was good.

as of today's date, 3 more weeks till the operation.

i do hope it'll be the last.

as i had said in the past, this will be # 3 with this doctor, but my 4th one overall, starting with another injury/doctor back in the spring of 2001.

i haven't any heard anything from the other lawyer i have, the one that is working on my disability claim.

WTF....????

WTF...is a "ribbon"......of medicine...????

yeah......

i have to apply a "ribbon" of this nasal antibiotic into my nostrils 2 times a day...

but, WTF is a "ribbon"...??

believe me, i actually got my magnifying glass, to read ALL the FINE print in the little informational sheet they put into the medicine box.

i searched online.....for a "ribbon" of medicine...

so of course, i called the pharmacy...

the pharmacist said "about a 1/2 inch of medicine would be a ribbon"......

the last time i had to use this stuff, i had individual vials of this gel, for each nostril, so it was easy-peasy.....

but a "ribbon"......a "ribbon".....???

like WTF wasn't that in the instructions on that informational sheet..?????

or why could i not find it on the web..????

like in all reality, how are we supposed to know WTF a "ribbon" is...???

stupid medicine companies.

WTF....????

WTF...is a "ribbon"......of medicine...????

yeah......

i have to apply a "ribbon" of this nasal antibiotic into my nostrils 2 times a day...

but, WTF is a "ribbon"...??

believe me, i actually got my magnifying glass, to read ALL the FINE print in the little informational sheet they put into the medicine box.

i searched online.....for a "ribbon" of medicine...

so of course, i called the pharmacy...

the pharmacist said "about a 1/2 inch of medicine would be a ribbon"......

the last time i had to use this stuff, i had individual vials of this gel, for each nostril, so it was easy-peasy.....

but a "ribbon"......a "ribbon".....???

like WTF wasn't that in the instructions on that informational sheet..?????

or why could i not find it on the web..????

like in all reality, how are we supposed to know WTF a "ribbon" is...???

stupid medicine companies.
"Tie a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree" maybe that kind?

UPDATE: January 13, 2019

"oops, i did it again", to quote Britney Spears.

at my last office visit, back in October, i was given an x-ray order. the doctor's p/a told me to get this x-ray about one week before my next visit.

well i went on December 26th in fact, and went to the doctor this past Friday (11th).

well the office gal said i should not have done that, and i told her, i was told to get the x-ray before this visit.

she said since my October visit, when she sent the order to the insurance company, they still had not authorized the x-ray!!

but the doctors office gal, NEVER CALLED ME to let me know she did not get any approval..before this appointment..!!

so, at the doctors office, i call the lawyer, but had to leave a message, when i got home, i called and spoke to his assistant.

i'll tell you, i did do this some time ago, but completely forgot about it. (getting approval) but at the same time, why was i never called and told about this non-approval..????

lawyers assistant said, "don't worry about it"...

i said...."i never do"......

if i can somehow get a picture off the CD of the x-ray, i will then circle the area he needs to get at next week...

which may very well be causing my left foot to be continually numb, and the right leg having numbness from top to bottom.

be back if i can succeed in this attempt.

UPDATE: JANUARY 13, 2019

ok, here is the x-ray from back in December, that I took to the p/a this past week, below that, will be descriptions..

2dmcirl.jpg

the red circled area, is the left side, can you see where there is "black" around the screw? (not the screw head, but the screw itself)

that means that screw is not tight in the bored hole, and as a result, this looseness may be the cause of a nerve being touched and giving me a numb left foot.

the white circle is the right side, which has "blackness" around it as well, and as a result, movement in that drilled bore maybe be causing a nerve to be touched, causing my right side to go haywire.

all these months now of PT, and weeks of using that spinal fusion stimulator, did nothing to make the bones grow and secure the screws.

so the surgeon needs to go back in, remove the rods, and the last 2 screws (in the pic), and put larger screws, then touch all the screws with electricity (low voltage i hope) to "see" if any other screw is loose OR touching a nerve.

when that is done, he puts either new rods, or re-uses the old ones, closes me up..then i get to eat (really) good hospital food for about a week.....

Last edited:
UPDATE: January 16, 2019

well, i was about to transfer some money from one account to another, so that i can get caught up on my bills, before i go away to the happy juice farm next tuesday.

when i logged into my bank account, i saw a huge difference in my balance..

ok, this happens, they screw up and correct it, then i cry cuz i wish i had that much..

well, as i scanned down the list, i see a SS deposit....

rather large...

i call the disability lawyer....

he said, "you sound strange"..

i said like yeah...WTF........(i actually said each word...lol)

he said.....

I WON MY DISABILITY CLAIM.......!!!!!!!!!

i did not get any "award letter" yet, neither did he..

but when we each get one, and i am able to get up and walk, i will go over to his office, and he will go thru the claim letter with me, regarding how much monthly i will be getting along with my w/c checks...

WOW....it has only been since November when he filed for me....you are told it is about 120 days for any answer.....from SS

i guess all my ducks were in a row (thanks to the lawyer, and my paper trail) and that i do after all have a very valid claim.

well, i was about to transfer some money from one account to another, so that i can get caught up on my bills, before i go away to the happy juice farm next tuesday.

ok, this happens, they screw up and correct it, then i cry cuz i wish i had that much..

rather large...

he said.....

but when we each get one, and i am able to get up and walk, i will go over to his office, and he will go thru the claim letter with me, regarding how much monthly i will be getting along with my w/c checks...

WOW....it has only been since November when he filed for me....you are told it is about 120 days for any answer.....from SS

i guess all my ducks were in a row (thanks to the lawyer, and my paper trail) and that i do after all have a very valid claim.

I'm tickled pink for you, I know you have had a nightmare, I'm sure you can now help an old needy friend.
I will pay you back as soon as my brother straightens up, BTW, did I tell you, he is humpback!
All jokes aside, I'm glad for you, know it's been a tough ride.

UPDATE: March 21, 2019

ok, i cannot remember all the other updates since the meltdown here the other day, all i can remember is posting a picture of a back x-ray that is similar to mine, just NOT my back..

i will try to re-conjure up what text i added as well

ok, here is a picture, of someone else's back x-ray, notice the 2 VERY long screws at the very bottom...

these are screwed into the pelvic bone (sacrum) at the S-2 location, then into the ilium (or hip bone), rendering no movement of the pelvic bone.

ei88lh.jpg

in this picture, you can see the pelvic bone and ilium (hip bone) better.

583cec3f458f397f39e7a53c_Pelvis%20anatomy%20copy.png

UPDATE: MARCH 28, 2019

ok, so i know i have to go see the court ordered doctor in April. but he would only have a written report of my x-rays.

so i called the hospital, as you recall from a previous posting, the x-rays were done at the hospital and then via inter-office internet, those were then sent to the doctors office one flight up the stairs.

i could not get a picture or a copy from the doctor's PA, as she has no way of printing them out.

i had no camera with me that day, and my simple $40 flip phone CAN take pictures, but from there, i cannot email them to me, or download them into my computer.

so i called the hospital, and after about 8 minutes on hold, the gal in the office, transferred me to the x-ray dept.

i asked if i could get a copy of that x-rays set, and i was told.."sure, no problem, give us about 30 minutes"

i said, ok, but i am on workmans comp, and i don't have a whole lot of money, how much will this cost?

the guy says, "are you kidding me, they are YOUR records, they are free".....

holy Sh** i said....

you see guys, in the past, whenever i went for x-rays or MRI's or CT scans, it those were done at other places, not a hospital, and they handed me the CD's.....cuz i knew from that point, i'd NOT be paying for anything.

but this being a hospital, i had no idea these x-rays were free to me (as part of my records there).

so now, i have done some work here and you will see the actual x-rays of my back, but frankly, the ones i posted earlier do really "look like" mine back anyways...

1rb0h3.jpg

rather large...

he said.....

Just passing by and noticed your post. Congratulations to you, hope your life will be a little easier now.

Something I found and I think its a bit weird but I would expect them to ask for the routing number for your bank account for them to make a deposit. But they already know all of that without saying a word.
LOL
Makes me wonder what else they know?
Do they know about my pitiful sex life? :scratchhead: