Holland | Cartage anyone?

Several years ago I was laid off in the fall and I went and talked to a number of the better companies that might have "greener pastures", I have an excellent work and driving record but I am on the north side of fifty almost sixty now and a record of being a union driver. The companies were very polite and acted interested but no one was offering me a job. Was it a bad year or a bad time of the year or my age or the fact that I am a union driver or all of the above I don't know. But some on here talk so smartly about intelligent drivers move on, well I am here to tell you some pretty dam smart fella's don't always have the choice. So next time you judge what someone else says on here because you know better maybe keep in mind that not all drivers have the same options and choices as others.
If you were laid off, I think that it's pretty safe to say that the other companies were slow also.
We can argue whether staying or leaving was intelligent or not until the cows come home, but I'll guarantee you that you have a lot of co-workers that wish that they would have tried harder to leave..... several years ago.
To each their own, but there is no right or wrong answer since everyone has their own plans and reasons for doing what they did.
According to Wong, you are just as much of a coward as myself and others who have left, since you tried to leave.
And the same goes for everyone else on here that either left, tried to leave, or even had a wondering eye.
You were supposed to just stay and fight city hall. I knew the company was against us, but once the union proved that they were against us, I knew it was time to leave.

If you were laid off, I think that it's pretty safe to say that the other companies were slow also.
We can argue whether staying or leaving was intelligent or not until the cows come home, but I'll guarantee you that you have a lot of co-workers that wish that they would have tried harder to leave..... several years ago.
To each their own, but there is no right or wrong answer since everyone has their own plans and reasons for doing what they did.
According to Wong, you are just as much of a coward as myself and others who have left, since you tried to leave.
And the same goes for everyone else on here that either left, tried to leave, or even had a wondering eye.
You were supposed to just stay and fight city hall. I knew the company was against us, but once the union proved that they were against us, I knew it was time to leave.
When previous slate was voted out our local changed for better. TM and two supervisors who didn't want to honor contract work rules and keep good ole boys mentality in are all gone now. Road drivers sticking together now has new TM attention now that where willing to screw his whole inbound operation up.

Things is it's their choice too beat up one who stayed is absurd
One needs to know just why each one voted YES. Was it because they felt they had no choice due to age, previous work comp claims, existing injuries, pressure from home (wife), just needed a couple more years, loyalty to company (poor reason), OR was it that they have no desire to "rock the boat", they don't know how to say "no" in any situation, it is God's will (no matter what happens), they prefer to pretend there is no real problem, so a YES vote will make the company happy.
Some people undoubtedly had good personal reasons to vote YES. Some are just sheep, going along with what other people they know are telling them and yet others prefer to ignore the problem altogether and simply do not vote at all.
Some vote NO because they know the past history of every company that has tried this before. There are no "survivors" that I am aware of.
As a result, the "problem" has not gone away, it has only gotten bigger while the company continues to prepare for the inevitable by hiding assets and selling other assets in favor of "bankruptcy court safe" leased assets instead. All the while the top brass is busy padding their own retirement funds and exit bonuses.

nope ,joes bar& grill , that we be the HAPPIEST DAY OF THE YEAR , SHUTTER DOWN , TIME TO STOP MAKING WELCH & HIS BUDDIES RICH OFF OUR BACKS !! SHUTTER DOWN THIS FRIDAY WOULD BE GREAT IN FACT !!

NO it is not the happiest day in your life. Trust me on this!

Does anyone know this past Monday there was very high numbers that called in sick at several of the terminals.....was that some sort of protest that was planned or was it just coincident? Louisville, Cleveland and Joliet are the ones I heard about.

Does anyone know this past Monday there was very high numbers that called in sick at several of the terminals.....was that some sort of protest that was planned or was it just coincident? Louisville, Cleveland and Joliet are the ones I heard about.
If you guys keep playing that game the customers will decide your fate instead of your incompetent management.