Yellow | Cartage/owner operators coming to 896

ok let me re-phrase that, We have people at our terminal that get away with murder. They complain about all the work they have to do, complain about residential deliveries and hi rises. When Yellow was around there was a grievance filed for the use of cartage, and the reason Bob was using cartage was because NO ONE wanted to do the High rises in Irvine. These guys didn't even attempt to make them and would bring them back on a daily basis. Disgruntled you remember this right? about 5 years ago ..
So now all of a sudden your complaining !! Like i said WE'RE ARE WORST ENEMY !!
No I don't??? I'm not in Irvine doing high-rises or anywhere else I don't have them in my area, I don't ***** to morangement, they ***** at me because I'm not one of their go-boys, I do have lots of resi's but I do them, they are a royal PITA but I still do them. As far as returns go I only bring back what I can't get off or couldn't get to, moronagemnet just doesn't like it but what can I do. Me get away with murder, are you serious, that just proves you don't know me.

If thats the case then why they still using cartage? You lost me on here. I agree, do it or suffer the consequences, but did that not take the excuse for Cartage away?

Wolf that was 5 years ago when we didn't have any lay off's . Cartage here in the west has been a problem for years, thats why there were grievances filed and we lost language to them via decisions .

No I don't??? I'm not in Irvine doing high-rises or anywhere else I don't have them in my area, I don't ***** to morangement, they ***** at me because I'm not one of their go-boys, I do have lots of resi's but I do them, they are a royal PITA but I still do them. As far as returns go I only bring back what I can't get off or couldn't get to, moronagemnet just doesn't like it but what can I do. Me get away with murder, are you serious, that just proves you don't know me.

All these personal attacks are just a diversion to take everyone's attention away from the fact that sub-haulers were used when men were on layoff – a sleazy, and indefensible act.

Wolf that was 5 years ago when we didn't have any lay off's . Cartage here in the west has been a problem for years, thats why there were grievances filed and we lost language to them via decisions .

How many men are on layoff at the terminal where the sub-haulers were used?

All these personal attacks are just a diversion to take everyone's attention away from the fact that sub-haulers were used when men were on layoff – a sleazy, and indefensible act.
I really don't get his argument, almost like he's defending the bad decisions, which brings up the whole reason we have cartage in the first place. the local is WEAK!!!

I never said you were in Irvine, i asked if you remembered the grievance that was filed about 5 years ago. You said i was personally attacking you so i will not comment on your last post. But me and you both know what the real story is RIGHT! And i know you VERY well! So i'll leave it at that .

I really don't get his argument, almost like he's defending the bad decisions, which brings up the whole reason we have cartage in the first place. the local is WEAK!!!

It is what it is .. the decisions didn't come from our local they came from a JWAC panel. They decided for the whole western area ..

JWAC= Joint Western Area Conference

Thanks to all who commented on my original thread. I thought this was a subject of concern. Between the nit-picking and disagreement, at least "ALL" of us can agree on one point. Cartage/sub-contracting is a huge issue that won't disappear anytime soon. I understand the laid-off employees not willing to answer their phones for a 4 hour job to work the dock. But if cartage is delivering/picking up our freight, and dispatch needs drivers, are these laid-off employees called in for an 8 hour shift to drive in the morning? Management has posted 2 1900 dock bids this week. Why are these not driving bids which would eliminate 2 cartage drivers?

Since this is taking place in Southern California we won't know until the police chase is over.

1zz2jww.jpg
heeheheehheehehee

Thanks to all who commented on my original thread. I thought this was a subject of concern. Between the nit-picking and disagreement, at least "ALL" of us can agree on one point. Cartage/sub-contracting is a huge issue that won't disappear anytime soon. I understand the laid-off employees not willing to answer their phones for a 4 hour job to work the dock. But if cartage is delivering/picking up our freight, and dispatch needs drivers, are these laid-off employees called in for an 8 hour shift to drive in the morning? Management has posted 2 1900 dock bids this week. Why are these not driving bids which would eliminate 2 cartage drivers?

NATIONAL MASTER
FREIGHT AGREEMENT
Article 32, Section 6

D. It is a violation of Article 32 for the Employer to knowingly subcontract
bargaining unit work to be performed by a subcontractor
while any regular scheduled or regular unscheduled employees,
including “shapes” or “10 percenters” are on lay off.
Subterfuge by
any party is a serious offense and violates Article 32. Examples of
subterfuge may include:

I remember once arguing with our pos ba about this and telling him that with his theory(read laziness)that as guys retired and replace with cartage there'd be no one left in the onion at the terminal. "Yeah, that could happen". No good fat tub of guts!

I remember once arguing with our pos ba about this and telling him that with his theory(read laziness)that as guys retired and replace with cartage there'd be no one left in the onion at the terminal. "Yeah, that could happen". No good fat tub of guts!

The NMFA has that possibility covered also:

NATIONAL MASTER
FREIGHT AGREEMENT
Article 32, Section 6

A. It is a violation of Article 32 to use vendors to perform work,
other than overflow, of the kind, nature, or type currently or previously
performed by bargaining unit employees. For example, it is a
violation of Article 32 for the size of the bargaining unit to decrease
by attrition and the Employer not replace the employees while using
vendors to perform work of the kind, nature, or type previously performed
by that bargaining unit.
Bargaining unit work of the kind,
nature, or type includes any pick-up or delivery of freight, dockwork,
clerical, or maintenance work functions performed by the
bargaining unit under the Agreement.

The NMFA has that possibility covered also:

NATIONAL MASTER
FREIGHT AGREEMENT
Article 32, Section 6

A. It is a violation of Article 32 to use vendors to perform work,
other than overflow, of the kind, nature, or type currently or previously
performed by bargaining unit employees. For example, it is a
violation of Article 32 for the size of the bargaining unit to decrease
by attrition and the Employer not replace the employees while using
vendors to perform work of the kind, nature, or type previously performed
by that bargaining unit.
Bargaining unit work of the kind,
nature, or type includes any pick-up or delivery of freight, dockwork,
clerical, or maintenance work functions performed by the
bargaining unit under the Agreement.

That was exactly my point, it was right there in black and white and you have to argue it with imbaciles like him.

I never said you were in Irvine, i asked if you remembered the grievance that was filed about 5 years ago. You said i was personally attacking you so i will not comment on your last post. But me and you both know what the real story is RIGHT! And i know you VERY well! So i'll leave it at that .
Well your handle is roaddogg so I'm guessing you're heritage RDWY??? I don't know to many of the RDWY guys "very well", I certainly wouldn't judge them on performance, also you haven't said hello yet, if you know who I am then you know what shift I work, let's have that "talk" you said we were going to have.

ps. Hard to laugh and type at the same time, LOL!!!

Here is what happens. The junior members complain about the senior members getting all of the overtime. So the junior members try to manipulate the work rules to get overtime which is ok . Then the junior members go screaming down the hallway when there seniority gets violated. As time marches on the junior members gain seniority and then they feel that they are entitled to it. So over the years this vicious cycle just keeps repeating itself.

As far as the company's use of sub-contractors goes are the laid off members accepting work? If the laid off members are declining work ,then the company can go to casuals and sub-contracting. When the laid off members come into work then they are supplements .But if half the shift calls off then they are replacements.

Many years ago here in Denver (890) the company was forcing CDL qualified bid dock members off of the midnight shift to run P&D between 6:00 am and 8:00am. So a couple of members thought they would be smart by filling a grievance to protest there right to stay on the dock, and also by getting medical restrictions to limit there driving. I personally pleaded with them to go out and protect there work. But no the members thought they could force the company to put up more P&D bids. The company decided to take on the grievance and have it heard. The outcome was that the company did not to force CDL qualified bid members off the dock. So now the company can use sub-contractors and is not required to even ask for P&D replacements from the dock. One thing these members did not take into consideration was language in the contract for calculating supplements for adding bids. Article 64 section (2) paragraph(b) of the P&D Local Cartage and Dock workers Supplemental Agreement. "Re- assignment from a bid classification to a different classification which occurs on the same shift for (20) out of (30)days will result in the posting of a bid" So the members failed to realize this was only occurring on Mondays and some Tuesdays. So the supplementing of the P&D did not even come close to meeting the threshold per the language in the contract to trigger a posting of a additional bid.

If you feel that this is engineered to benefit the company then at the end of the contract when proposals can be submitted submit them!!

Here is what happens. The junior members complain about the senior members getting all of the overtime. So the junior members try to manipulate the work rules to get overtime which is ok . Then the junior members go screaming down the hallway when there seniority gets violated. As time marches on the junior members gain seniority and then they feel that they are entitled to it. So over the years this vicious cycle just keeps repeating itself.

As far as the company's use of sub-contractors goes are the laid off members accepting work? If the laid off members are declining work ,then the company can go to casuals and sub-contracting. When the laid off members come into work then they are supplements .But if half the shift calls off then they are replacements.

Many years ago here in Denver (890) the company was forcing CDL qualified bid dock members off of the midnight shift to run P&D between 6:00 am and 8:00am. So a couple of members thought they would be smart by filling a grievance to protest there right to stay on the dock, and also by getting medical restrictions to limit there driving. I personally pleaded with them to go out and protect there work. But no the members thought they could force the company to put up more P&D bids. The company decided to take on the grievance and have it heard. The outcome was that the company did not to force CDL qualified bid members off the dock. So now the company can use sub-contractors and is not required to even ask for P&D replacements from the dock. One thing these members did not take into consideration was language in the contract for calculating supplements for adding bids. Article 64 section (2) paragraph(b) of the P&D Local Cartage and Dock workers Supplemental Agreement. "Re- assignment from a bid classification to a different classification which occurs on the same shift for (20) out of (30)days will result in the posting of a bid" So the members failed to realize this was only occurring on Mondays and some Tuesdays. So the supplementing of the P&D did not even come close to meeting the threshold per the language in the contract to trigger a posting of a additional bid.

If you feel that this is engineered to benefit the company then at the end of the contract when proposals can be submitted submit them!!

LTL man this is exactly what has happened in SO-CAL. I'm almost positive that Denver's language is the same as the LA area. And yes the company has the right to force CDL qualified men to the street .

At 896 cartage comes in on Mondays (not heard of them coming in any other days) takes whatever doesn't get loaded onto trailers for that day, it's not junk freight it's just whatever is left, we still get all the junk freight we can handle and then some. This past Mon. I was told, after everyone left, it was a free for all, cartage guys were coming on the dock and grabbing whatever they could and some were even loading freight onto their trucks themselves, WTF!!! Roaddud is this what was agreed to???

At 896 cartage comes in on Mondays (not heard of them coming in any other days) takes whatever doesn't get loaded onto trailers for that day, it's not junk freight it's just whatever is left, we still get all the junk freight we can handle and then some. This past Mon. I was told, after everyone left, it was a free for all, cartage guys were coming on the dock and grabbing whatever they could and some were even loading freight onto their trucks themselves, WTF!!! Roaddud is this what was agreed to???
There is no longer "junk freight" Freight is freight. If this company goes under you will have the biggest wake up call of your life. That means you will have to WORK at your next job, reminiscing how good you really had it at YRC.
If that was indeed happening on the dock where cartage was working the freight on our dock then how come there wasn't a grievance filed on it? Your the biggest complainer STEP UP! file a grievance! I know! I know! I know! The local doesn't do anything, the stewards don't do anything, the local is weak .. what else did you say about the union? Our local is only as strong as our members and you are the weakest link. How many grievances have you filed? Complaining will get you no where. Grow some and file on whatever you think the company is doing wrong. What are you scared of?