Yellow | Cartage

wolleyworldd

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi,
I'm wondering how many terminals are using cartage services in stead of hiring drivers?
Do any terminals out there have pup trailers with liftgates or straight jobs with liftgates out there?
At our terminal we had a lift gate straight job but it was involved in an accident and never replaced!
Seems to me alot of freight is going out the door to cartage services.
Can anyone tell me?
wolleyworldd

WW,
Last summer in STL they were hiring city men and couldn't get enough. They did call in a cartage company but only after the city board was exhausted and overtime was offered to all of the regulars. They even had road drivers going 48 miles to a big customer where we drop/hook empties for loads. In this case it was desperate action in a desperate time....they were buried in freight and had to serve the customers. They've hired more since then and I don't think it's happened since. Are their available drivers to hire in the area you're talking about? If so I'd think that the Local would have a real problem with the cartage.

yo.....

wouldn't EIS cover the island out east?????

a house delivery out on orient point would kill a driver for half a day for a mini.....

makes sense to use a cartage agent in that situation don't it???????

YELLOW is probably one of the few that does all their freight into manhattan and i can't wait and see if ups freight starts delivering there........

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Well....EIS.does.cover.most.of.eastern.long.island,but.the.far.reaching.points.particularly.Shelter.Island.are.carted.but.On-Time-Trucking.which.is.in.LGI's.service.area....And.I.tooo.look.forward.to.UPSF.ending.their.service.with.Truck.Wrong...

UPGF4IBT said:
Well....EIS.does.cover.most.of.eastern.long.island,but.the.far.reaching.points.particularly.Shelter.Island.are.carted.but.On-Time-Trucking.which.is.in.LGI's.service.area....And.I.tooo.look.forward.to.UPSF.ending.their.service.with.Truck.Wrong...

that's because most of EIS drivers are pansies
what's the matter ? do they get sea sick on that really long ferry ride to shelter island
abf goes there on a regular basis and they are outta bay shore
maybe you should cartage that freight to abf
at least they are a unionized carrier not like the :shit:ty ones you use currently, on time and shark lines:shout: :moon2: :eck13:
do you know who i am?

MIKEEEEE said:
yo.....

wouldn't EIS cover the island out east?????

a house delivery out on orient point would kill a driver for half a day for a mini.....

makes sense to use a cartage agent in that situation don't it???????

YELLOW is probably one of the few that does all their freight into manhattan and i can't wait and see if ups freight starts delivering there........

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
NEMF does also.

yo big steve....

prior to 1994 when abf bought carolina the only thing abf did in new york city was drop their pups off in maspeth at a company called a-1 if i remember right, on rust street across the tracks from the back of new penn's terminal.......

shelter island is not such a huge market anyways, just like governors island, roosevelt island, randalls island, city island, and rikers island only inbound smal deliveries (nusiance freight).....

nothing like killing a morning on rikers island going to all the different jails and then killing an aftternoon making inside deliveries at la guardia airport and then making your dispsatcher suicidal when you still got 10 deliveries to make, been there , done that, a few times....

mikeeeeeeeeeee

yo mikeeeeee
i was only kidding
i thought one of my buddies was online
abf bayshore gives cartage away like no other, believe me
it is a major problem
they give away mannhatten totally in nj
it was so bad out here we actually drove loads to a nj cartage agent in fairfield so they could deliver the freight for us
we are totally undermanned, out of hours and swamped with freight

we gave so much to the one we used, preffered trucking they gave us loads back
the tm got so desperate he gave the crap to the jersey guy
now we got gayle in bayshore, only problem they take 7 days to effect delivery

CNC has two straight trucks w/lift gates...But they still give away freight each week to a courrier. They claim that they don't have enough man power to deliver it/not enough small trucks, but if they used them correctly they would have enough...Bad management giving away $$$ to the NON-union man..

just one question
when is the union going to apply and enforce the contract on this matter?
the companies are doing this:hysterical: :roll1:

I can't answer that, the union is doing nothing about it. The local is weak at best when standing up against the company...

liftgate tr iailers

our term.has a 40 ft. lift gate we received it last year before this one we had a l.g. straight truck witch we hardly ever used when somebody requested a l.g. our mang. told them we did not have one . go figure. now that we have the new one they tryed to tell us they were going to farm out some or all our out of town l.g. work let me tell you how some are oporating meaning mang.these l.g. are a pain in the A. for mang. hard to operate with low amount of labor messes with numbers . once we requested to see loadsheets and bills and after a few phone calls we have a handle on it again. to all you terms. that they are farming out your lift gate work if you have a good reason to beleive they are doing this have you stuard demand to look at your inbound bills and inbound load sheets back as far as 45 days and let the games begin if he will not do it go to your buisness A. and demand they do it. good luck to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,
We also have a few 40s and 45s with liftgates.But there are alot of places in the city where ya just can't get around with them.
A couple 28s or low straight trucks with liftgates would solve alot of headaches.
I remember Preston having a couple of pups with lg's
wolleyworldd

check this out

got some very disturbing news the other day. turns out that the 2 cartage dumps we all use (ABF & YRC) are both owned by one co. : Yellow Corp. :ranting2: ! what a racket these guys are running. RDWY dumps about 6 trailers a day, Yellow & NP about 3-5, and ABF changes their amount daily. OD goes there as well. this is total bullsh*t ! we were told about this in a meeting with the TM & VP because of recent complaints about giving frt. away. the question was asked " if there are complaints why do we continue dropping frt. there ?". the answer : "it's a sticky situation being that Yellow owns the property". :shock: needless to say everyone in the room was shocked. now all of us know why frt. continues to be given away : Yellow gotta make that $$$ on their property. what a scam !

big steve said:
just one question
when is the union going to apply and enforce the contract on this matter?
the companies are doing this:hysterical: :roll1:
The short answer is ....past practice.
This allows the companies to continue what they have done previously so long as everyone is working.