ABF | Casual and preferential

I'm not sure .In Chicago where there are several in the same area ,1 master board fror city so you could be called to go as they're in the same area under the same local union.

As a casual, youare not on any list. Therefore, you are basically free to work whever you can find it. I know when I first started out, I would get paychecks from 3 different companies. Once you make a lsit, you are theirs.....for better or worse.

As for being preferential, I would think that it is possible to do so at either or both locations.

Can a casual driver/dock, work out of two different terminals?? And if so can he be preferential at both???
I am not sure which supplement you work under, but in the Southern Region Supplement Article 41, Section 3. states the following. A casual can only maintain preferential status with one employer. If the two terminals that you are working at are with the same employer then I would guess that the first terminal that offered you fulltime work would be the one you would then work for. If the two terminal you are working at are with different companies then you can only maintain preferential status with one of the two. Again, this is in the Southern Region Supplement so check with your BA to find out for sure as you are probably under the Eastern Region Supplement and it may be worded different.

Can a casual driver/dock, work out of two different terminals?? And if so can he be preferential at both???
Hey bnp............I'm thinking that the answer is yes/yes. The only problem you may run into is being set up on conflicting shifts.

The only rule that comes to mind is that you can't hold seniority at two terminals. DS.

DS,

You are correct. You can only be on one seniority list. However, even if you are on the list at one job, should it be slow, you can seek work at another terminal as a casual.

We had a city guy from Yellow that was on the seniority list, however, he was shaping as a casual with us because he was on layoff for the second time. While shaping with us, he told our TM, that he was recalled, but had reservations about going back to Yellow. He sat down with our TM and Steward, and the Steward explained that he wanted to stay with us, but needed a guarantee that he would make our list or else he would have to go back. Well he made our list in 5 days and resigned from Yellow and hasn't missed a day of work in 6 years.

Thanks guy's for the input. I just tell ya what going on, I work out of greer, sc and i am casual, there is a guy that runs out of anderson, sc. he has preferential status at anderson. The TM at greer put him on preferential Monday ahead of me. Dont you have to give up your pref. status at one terminal and get your thity days in before you can be put on ahead of someone else at the other one.

I am not sure which supplement you work under, but in the Southern Region Supplement Article 41, Section 3. states the following. A casual can only maintain preferential status with one employer. If the two terminals that you are working at are with the same employer then I would guess that the first terminal that offered you fulltime work would be the one you would then work for. If the two terminal you are working at are with different companies then you can only maintain preferential status with one of the two. Again, this is in the Southern Region Supplement so check with your BA to find out for sure as you are probably under the Eastern Region Supplement and it may be worded different.

Up here in NJ a casual doesn't have any type of status at all until he goes on probation on his 75th day worked. Until your 75th punch they can work around you any way they want. They can wave the 75 day casual period & put someone right on probation ahead of casuals that have been working at the job for months

Thanks guy's for the input. I just tell ya what going on, I work out of greer, sc and i am casual, there is a guy that runs out of anderson, sc. he has preferential status at anderson. The TM at greer put him on preferential Monday ahead of me. Dont you have to give up your pref. status at one terminal and get your thity days in before you can be put on ahead of someone else at the other one.

What is this guy going to do when both terminals call him for the same start time? He can't be in two places at the same time. After he misses his 3 calls he automatically comes off the list. My advice is to talk to your shop steward first. If that doesn't work then call your local hall and ask to speak to the business agent.
It sounds like this guy wants his cake and gets to eat it too.:chairshot:

Thanks harleydad75, talk with my steward last nite, he said the same thing. he was gonna watch him and let him hang himself. I hate to complain but im not getting to work hardly at all and this guy gets to work at two different terminals, same company. just not rite in my book.