Yellow | casual combination driver

It would be strictly on call without any benefits. If you are looking for this to turn into an eventual full time job, forget about working for YRC. The terminal I work at (CVE/218) has to recall numerous employees before anyone can be hired off the street, and most other large terminals throughout the country are in the same position. Teamster employees impacted by this merger have 10 years of recall rights. The process of hiring new drivers could take years, especially in this economy. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Rocketmancve, thats pretty bad that they would hire on TEMP drivers, I guess you would call it and not hire back the ones who were laid off. GOOD LUCK to you guys

what terminal are you out of?welcome aboard i hope it works for you/ther are alot of terminals out ther that have recalled all ther workers so if thats the case you will be fine especially with alot of guys retireing this is a good way to get your foot in the door /good luck!!!!!

I wasn't trying to give the guy bad information, but I assumed most terminals, especially the larger ones, have a lot of people laid off. I thought the only terminals that were hiring right now have Holland written on the sign.

Thanks for the INFO, I have not put in for the position though worried about being able to get enough hours and pay. It would be good a foot in the door as long as you wouldn't get jerked around with lack of hours. ANYFURTHER THOUGHTS

Megnchris, is it a large terminal ,such as a breakbulk, that you intend to apply at (which likely has laid off employees) or a smaller terminal, such as a satellite, that may not have people laid off? The advice I gave pretty much applies to my terminal and most larger ones, but there could be full time job opportunities throughout the system, based on your location, and I would hate to see you lose an opportunity. I had a very good Monday-Friday city driving job with an assigned route and regular customers until the merger. Since the merger, I've been laid off and recalled many times, and even had to work over the road for a truckload outfit when things got real bad. Now that I'm recalled I am pretty much limited to working the dock, which is not my favorite job because I like to drive.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do and thanks for checking on Truckingboards as Jeff and his moderators do a really good job getting the info out.

I appreciate you guys responding. I should have put in first note I'm in Pcola, FL but that doesn't matter because I got in trouble by momma about halfway through the app process. She doesn't think I should do anything because I have a good job now, not like you guys though, I was just trying to think outside the box. Anyway hope everything gets better for you guys

unless there is nothing other than an opening at the local taco bell i wouldnt waste my time at any yrcw company.

Chris,
Keep looking! There has to be something else out there, even if it's not in the trucking industry. Keep looking.