Estes | Catagory system is a joke.

Phillman

TB Lurker
Credits
I want to ask you guys what you think the difference between a hub run and a line haul run is? They've been canceling line haul runs at my terminal but adding hub runs. Many of the hub runs the drivers don't even work the dock. They recently added a hub run of 500+ miles that doesn't work the dock until it gets back to the home terminal after the 500 miles and works for about an hour. I think it's bogus. Between the rule changes with combo drivers seniority and drivers transferring it was looking grim enough at scoring a schedule run and now this? I feel my time as xtra board has no value here and it may be served better by working somewhere else. I like running the xtra board here and really don't want to quit. But I want to have a dedicated run someday. I'd like to here what everyone has to say. All of the other LTL's are hubs in my city but our terminal at Estes is small and the lack of consistency with the rules and seniority is really bringing me down.

i think hub and linehaul seperate boards are good. i dont want to work the dock! if runs are set up to work the dock and driver works the dock, its hub. if the company starts shifting runs to hub wrongfully, then drivers will leave. i think if Estes follows their own rules on their own system, things go smoother. guys that choose hub know they have to work the dock, guys that choose linehaul know they have to go through xtra board.

i think hub and linehaul seperate boards are good. i dont want to work the dock! if runs are set up to work the dock and driver works the dock, its hub. if the company starts shifting runs to hub wrongfully, then drivers will leave. i think if Estes follows their own rules on their own system, things go smoother. guys that choose hub know they have to work the dock, guys that choose linehaul know they have to go through xtra board.

Right and that's why I chose xtra board. I have no problem with paying my dues on the board and waiting for my opportunity like the guys before me. But a 500+ mile run that doesn't work the dock outside of its origin should be a line haul run in my opinion. I feel it was wrong to make it a hub run and I have a hard time accepting it.

They tried to add a 479 mile layover "hub" run with no dock work at my barn. No drivers signed up for it so they had to repost it as a linehaul run. We only have 2 hub runs and about 80 linehaul runs. I'm proud that nobody signed up for that stupid run. Might keep them from trying that again in the future.

right,and if we get pushed to the bottom of a board because of favoritism then drivers will leave. we all know what hub means and we all know what linehaul means. if the company can't stick to it then what does that say?

Should be Road and City based on time at the company the multiple boards are just stupid. If a run requires dock work and you want it take it, if its a 500+ mile linehaul you want it take it. The runs should be posted to reflect what is required and awarded based on time at the company / company seniority IMO.

i still can't figure out why hub drivers make less per mile...

Well in my time at the company I've heard everything from extra board is paid more because they are gone all week, then paid more to fuel since city gets paid hourly to fuel, blah blah blah. That said from a company perspective i see the logic in posting the run as a hub if they are paying less cpm, that adds up... Simple economics really, even a dumb ole truck driver can add up those figures lol.

Well in my time at the company I've heard everything from extra board is paid more because they are gone all week, then paid more to fuel since city gets paid hourly to fuel, blah blah blah. That said from a company perspective i see the logic in posting the run as a hub if they are paying less cpm, that adds up... Simple economics really, even a dumb ole truck driver can add up those figures lol.
When did extra board drivers start getting paid to fuel?

When did extra board drivers start getting paid to fuel?
If you ask Rob Estes he will tell you your fuel pay is figured into your mileage rate, that's what you make what you make. That's what we were told in Baltimore back in 2000. What a joke....

It's all kind of confusing, I am a Combo, and I want to work my way into hub at some point. When they have xtra Linehaul runs , they offer to city guys first. If hub runs are open , vacation, sickness etc, it's offered to Combo drivers.

It's all kind of confusing, I am a Combo, and I want to work my way into hub at some point. When they have xtra Linehaul runs , they offer to city guys first. If hub runs are open , vacation, sickness etc, it's offered to Combo drivers.

Any runs that are temporarily available due to vacation or sickness etc are supposed to go to combo first. Posted "permanent" runs that aren't filled by someone already in the category are awarded by company time.

It all depends on the terminal manager. Each terminal is run differently when it comes to combo. In fact, each shift is run differently.

It only took me years to realize it was time to leave, I got tired of Linehaul runs being cancelled and adding more Hub runs, just like you say 400 plus, 500 plus, runs that do not work the dock, hell I had to beg to work the dock when I went hub, I went Hub because I saw myself being extra board forever the way the changed things, but it was to late, and after 13 years I finally quit, to much changing and that Category system sucks. I am with a company that has a ROAD AND CITY BOARD, and much happier, took away all the stress of wondering that is for sure,,,,,and heck I like working the dock anyway, even though I dont have to where Im at, Estes lost a good worker to the policies they have that is for sure....

W
It only took me years to realize it was time to leave, I got tired of Linehaul runs being cancelled and adding more Hub runs, just like you say 400 plus, 500 plus, runs that do not work the dock, hell I had to beg to work the dock when I went hub, I went Hub because I saw myself being extra board forever the way the changed things, but it was to late, and after 13 years I finally quit, to much changing and that Category system sucks. I am with a company that has a ROAD AND CITY BOARD, and much happier, took away all the stress of wondering that is for sure,,,,,and heck I like working the dock anyway, even though I dont have to where Im at, Estes lost a good worker to the policies they have that is for sure....

Where are you now? I was thinking about Estes

Athens hired a driver. He ran a week or two and decided it wasn't what he was thinking. Didn't like it, he quit. Now unemployed. I reckon I must've had it pretty rough before I worked here.