XPO | Caution dolly converter cracks

XCCX

TB Legend
Credits
We have recently had 3 converter dollys come through with Major structural cracks in the frame area.
Just a word of caution to everyone CAREFULLY pre trip your dolly. Just because it has a recent inspection doesn't mean it couldn't have been missed .The fleet of dollys are aging with a good majority being over 20 yrs old and they do show signs of major rust and metal stress. If you see one please be sure to put it out of service because the next guy may miss it.

We have recently had 3 converter dollys come through with Major structural cracks in the frame area.
Just a word of caution to everyone CAREFULLY pre trip your dolly. Just because it has a recent inspection doesn't mean it couldn't have been missed .The fleet of dollys are aging with a good majority being over 20 yrs old and they do show signs of major rust and metal stress. If you see one please be sure to put it out of service because the next guy may miss it.

Why should this surprise you. The truck I'm in now has duck tape holding the dash together. Band aid after band aid. Just walk in our yards look at the outdate crap we have and dollies being one of the biggest one. I think we are the only carrier that has a spare tire on there dollies.
Just sit in the yard and watch how many even open a hood let alone do an inspection on a dolly.

We could definitely use some reinvestment into our equipment. In the meantime you have to be mores diligent in pre trips even if it takes more time.

Remember we are the end user of this equipment and ultimately responsible for any damage or harm that comes from a failure of it . The courts don't want to here about xpo' s lack of maintenance or reinvestment.
Be diligent.

Last edited:
I can't believe they keep running that junk for so long. Most of the dollies in the fleet are from the 80's. Buy some new equipment already!

I once was walking by the Dolly line at my old service center and I noticed that a dolly was sitting lower than the other ones, Spiked my curiosity so upon closer inspection I found both leaf springs broken and frame down on the axle . I ask the driver that brought it in like that to see if he even knew that the springs were broken. Of course he never noticed. It is a good habit to always be looking for defects atwith the equipment whenever you are walking around or walking by. It might save your life or someone else's. Every Trucking Company has drivers that doesn't do much of a pre trip , I believe that some wouldn't notice that a couple of wheels where missing unless it's the left front wheel!!!

I once was walking by the Dolly line at my old service center and I noticed that a dolly was sitting lower than the other ones, Spiked my curiosity so upon closer inspection I found both leaf springs broken and frame down on the axle . I ask the driver that brought it in like that to see if he even knew that the springs were broken. Of course he never noticed. It is a good habit to always be looking for defects atwith the equipment whenever you are walking around or walking by. It might save your life or someone else's. Every Trucking Company has drivers that doesn't do much of a pre trip , I believe that some wouldn't notice that a couple of wheels where missing unless it's the left front wheel!!!
I had one that had the fifth wheel mounting blocks that hold it to the frame with a hair line stress crack all the way through. It was very hard to see until we cleaned the caked on grease off it. I was very lucky it would have been a disaster he'd I used it.

I think FedEx is still running some old Monon dollies with spare tires, but most of them have been retired. Heavy suckers with bodged electrical harnesses and air lines. I was wondering when one would catch fire.

Good for you for saying something to the driver. Too many just don't bother.
I was dropping my set a couple weeks ago and noticed a brake can hanging on a departing drivers set. I walked over to let him know. He didn't know what a brake can was! I told him to bring it over to the shop and point to it. Unfortunately, the trailer was loaded, they had to swing it. If I hadn't noticed (or bothered to say anything), that driver would have been sitting on the side of the road for a long while.

Pulled two from the line the a month ago and put them out of service both had a tire each that were like racing slicks. No bull. One also had a broken spring. You got to write them up. I didn't realize a bunch of these were manufactured in the 80's over thirty years old.

Last edited:
Good for you for saying something to the driver. Too many just don't bother.
I was dropping my set a couple weeks ago and noticed a brake can hanging on a departing drivers set. I walked over to let him know. He didn't know what a brake can was! I told him to bring it over to the shop and point to it. Unfortunately, the trailer was loaded, they had to swing it. If I hadn't noticed (or bothered to say anything), that driver would have been sitting on the side of the road for a long while.
You should not be surprised. We don't hire Professional Truck Drivers we hire steering wheel holders. Some of the dumb ::shit:: I see here and what other truck driver do. I passed a truck the other day and he had 3, yes 3 GPS mounted on his windshield I bet he still makes wrong turn

Pulled two from the line the a month ago and put them out of service both had a tire each that were like racing slicks. No bull. One also had a broken spring. You got to write them up. I didn't realize a bunch of these were manufactured in the 80's over thirty years old.
If this was at your yard it sound to me you have a problem with you brother driverstheir. Its really kinda hard to miss bald tires when you stand 2ft away to hook and unhook you dolly. Sound to me they just don't give a ::shit::