ODFL | cb radios

easttnhillbilly

TB Regular
Credits
just wondering how many people drive with there cb on or only turn it on when you see a backup i usually leave mine off to much cursing and fusing on the cb id rather listen to my xm bluegrass junction :1036316054:

just wondering how many people drive with there cb on or only turn it on when you see a backup i usually leave mine off to much cursing and fusing on the cb id rather listen to my xm bluegrass junction :1036316054:

That's a great idea EastTN, but usually when you turn on the CB when you see a back-up it's usually to late to re-route. Then you sit.
The swearing out there is temporary especially if there going the other way.

If you run at night, it might be a good idea to have it on with the squelch turned up so you don't hear a bunch of static, etc.
Out of all the garbage on the CB, that 1% of good info might save your hide one day.
I know I had a latch on a roll up door break and some other driver told me about it, I was only 25 miles out, so it would been another hour or so before I would have known that the door was 3/4 the way up. Without the radio, I wouldn't have known until I stopped for a break and a "walk around" by that time who knows what could of came off.

I work with the CB off. So far that has worked fine with me. Sometimes when there is a problem I cannot see another driver that is faster than me lets me know he wants to talk to me. I flip on the CB and see what that is. Yeah usually its to late by the time I hear about a backup but that even happens with the CB on. Often there is no viable way around it anyway so I just wait it out. I have got good information before but often get a exaggerated story about how bad it is in front of me weather wise or a story about how bad the wreck is. Sometimes I hear its cleared up for a long time before the traffic starts moving. Unless I get the info from someone I know I do not count on the value of what I hear.

I try to run it with the squelch up if I'm not trying for info. At least I'll hear the ones close to me and possibly if someone is trying to let me know of a problem. I've had a problem on a trailer that I didn't notice that could have been a real disaster if a driver didn't let me know about it. I've also tried to let others know about equipment problems and they didn't have their radio on. Sure there's a lot out there you don't want to hear but that's just the way it is. I don't know why people say or do the things they do.
What's really a shame is we as drivers for OD don't have a "company" channel we could universally shout to each other on.

Lately, I have not even been running with a CB. Between the fussing, cussing, and general bad behavior I have not bothered with it. Also, I am slowly working on a homemade drivers box and hope to have it all combined in one unit soon.

Any suggestions or tips on building/wiring a box are welcome. PM me.

Thanks

I had mine on and on was a good thing, as I was going west I heard " he's going the wrong way!" I asked "what's the 20 on the wrong way?", "east bound in the west lbound hammer lane at the 126" was the reply.

I just happened to be west bound at the 127 in the left lane at the time, I move right and over the hill he comes at 60+ mph.

That one time it saves you and maybe someone else is well worth all the other bs that goes on on it.

Just my nickels worth.

FM

i usually keep mine off running through new york and into new england. too much trash going on. if i'm running with someone though we will be on another channel. has far has traffic goes there is usually someone in front of me or coming north or south at me that will pick up the cell and let me know about back ups.

I run with mine on but if i'm running with someone we are on another channel. Sad part is that out on the road you see another od truck yell at them and no one answers. Would be nice if we had co channel....

I run with mine on but if i'm running with someone we are on another channel. Sad part is that out on the road you see another od truck yell at them and no one answers. Would be nice if we had co channel....

I am one of them. Thats because I don`t have an assingned Truck. So that makes me to install my CB every evening and take it out every morning. I don`t do that anymore, to much troubles.

i run mine all time.the one time i didn't run it ,i got in a wreck.it is worth the time, even if you have to take it out every day.co. channel is 25.

You can go out of KCY in four directions. Each way is different on the radio. East it is used heavily. North and south moderately and west it seems like very few drivers talk on it. Talking to someone early in the morning always helped me stay alert.