cb verses cell phone

Lazer

WWG1WGA
Credits
With more and more companies cracking down on cell phone use while the truck is in motion, what is the current DOT policy on cb radio and two-way radio use while a truck is in motion? I thought at one time a cb was considered a 'safety device', thus the restriction of 'hand held device' did not apply. Is this still the case?
I am pushing the company I work at to go back to the two-way radio w/base station, if a cell is such a taboo.

With more and more companies cracking down on cell phone use while the truck is in motion, what is the current DOT policy on cb radio and two-way radio use while a truck is in motion? I thought at one time a cb was considered a 'safety device', thus the restriction of 'hand held device' did not apply. Is this still the case?
I am pushing the company I work at to go back to the two-way radio w/base station, if a cell is such a taboo.
cb's are still allowed. they are not held up to our ears, rather our mouths. the reception comes over either a front firing speaker, or an aux speaker many of us have.

when the day comes that some goober in our gooberment takes that away from us, i hope the apocalypse stikes all dead.

on "average" we as professionals are safer driving and using the cb, than some dip ship on his/her cell phone, looking in the mirror applying make up, or texting.

That's a very interesting question and I don't think a study has ever been done if a CB radio qualifies as distracted driving

I now dont get much farther than 150 miles from the yard doing local deliveries, a 2-way with a base back at the yard would be better than dispatch calling all day long asking where I'am at, what customers do I left,etc. We have safety meetings all the time and 1/2 the meeting is the safety mgr telling everyone dont touch your cell when driving, dont be on your phone when driving, loading, unloading,in front of the customer, on and on. but yet if dispatch calls, and you let it go to vm, they get all pissy.

A Microphone is not in the same class as a Cellphone, so No Worries Mate.

EVERY DAY I'm out and about in a Class A vehicle, I see a few "truck drivers" using their cell phones like a handset.

The 2 way Base Station setup is actually worse than not having such setup because there are few Old Hands that even know the 10 codes (if such were to even be used [or is such usage now seen as ancient technology?]).
Your radio would still be going off constantly from dispatch asking the same redundant (and more) questions unless you were "out of range" which could be easily done or by simply applying the OFF setting.

Which is worse: 2-way base station (with limited range) or cell phone?

I now dont get much farther than 150 miles from the yard doing local deliveries, a 2-way with a base back at the yard would be better than dispatch calling all day long asking where I'am at, what customers do I left,etc. We have safety meetings all the time and 1/2 the meeting is the safety mgr telling everyone dont touch your cell when driving, dont be on your phone when driving, loading, unloading,in front of the customer, on and on. but yet if dispatch calls, and you let it go to vm, they get all pissy.
Possible scenario: You keep "pushing them" and they "push back" or "push you" to another employer.
These "right to work" states, employers or employees can terminate employment AT ANY TIME for "any or no reason".

For me doing such deliveries, their calls would go to V.M. because I'm paid to DRIVE and do DELIVERIES, not to have redundant chat with dispatch. Constant requests (nagging, harrassment, micro-managing) for location/delivery updates is what causes HIGH turnover.

--> Last April I quit a 5+ years Driving job because of them wanting a EVERY 4 HOURS CHECK CALL with location & direction (except when OFF DUTY) even though the Truck and Trailer had installed and operational Tracking equipment.<--