Yellow | CDL Training at your terminal

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
Just wondering if your terminal offers training for employees interested in getting their CDL's. Winston (671) has a state certified trainer and does offer their employees the chance to get their CDL's. This works great for both sides involved. The employee gets the training for free and the company gets to use the employee to drive and they control the instruction. You also train on RDWY specific equipment like jiff lox and twin screw tractors with sliding 5th wheels. DS.

:poster_oops: I forgot to add that all training is done on the employees time and includes Smith System and switch training. DS.

Kansas City has started training casuals and sending them to Yellow's training school in Wichita, KS.....6 weeks w/o permit, 3 weeks with permit....One went to training, passed, and is now hired.

at 153 we are not offerred any training on our time or company time. company bemoans loss of dock drivers due to retirements, but offers no training.dock drivers don't pose much of anissue to other classifications, as every classification still has its own seniority board. if i were to qualify, and transfer to the city, i would go below last months new hire, so nobody transfers classifications. dock drivers do fill in in yard, city, and road in a pinch.

120 has a 10 week program, its done on your time and you pay for permits and tests. You are trained by a switcher. After your training is complete, you are slotted into any open switcher or dock/switcher bid. When we rebid you must bid into those classifcation for 1yr or 1000 hrs. Then you can bid wherever you want. You must get your CDL and keep for as long as you work at roadway, even if you go back to the dock. 3 guys just finished their training and 3 more are training now.

For many years Chicago Heights has hired from a Job Core training facility (I believe it was run by Roadway) in Kentucky. One of the instructors was the ex safetyman from St. Louis. I forget his name. I have not heard much about this in a year or so but we still have many drivers that came through it.

fatboy said:
at 153 we are not offerred any training on our time or company time. company bemoans loss of dock drivers due to retirements, but offers no training.dock drivers don't pose much of anissue to other classifications, as every classification still has its own seniority board. if i were to qualify, and transfer to the city, i would go below last months new hire, so nobody transfers classifications. dock drivers do fill in in yard, city, and road in a pinch.
Hey fatboy......we have the same thing at 671, with an exception. If there is an opening in the city, switching or dock, the company will hang a "crossover bid". You go to the bottom until the next bid and then you use your seniority. If there is an opening on the road you loose it for a year and a day. We also have an interchangable list. During the semi annual bid you sign the list if you want to be used in the yard or in P+D when they need extra help. DS.

our crossover bid still places you at the bottom forever, or until people in front of you retire, or people are hired under you. we had one man in the last 12-13 years that held his seniority in a transfer, he was injured an unable to return to the dock, but could drive.

Hmmm, and most people like that? Not me, I'll take the one line board. My opinion is your senority should always count.:rockon:

the drivers fear the dockmen transferring over to a driving class and have resisted every discussion of change. having multiple seniority boards cost some guys time in tranfers during our coo, others lost jobs, they had years on the dock, but only a few years driving, they could transfer on one time or the other, not the combination of time. city drivers especially are concerned that we dockmen will get cdls and jump over, and 3-4 guys would jump over, carrying 22-29 years. we had 1 guy right ahead of me, 2years on the dock, 15 in the yard, 1 in the city, 4 on the road, got layed off, eventually did file grievances on a crossover and got some or all of his time in the city. he and 1 other were the only 2 i know 2 successfully challenge the crossover procedure with other than medical reasons at 153

When sleepers started at Chicago Heights in "94 many crossed over from the dock. They went to the bottom of the road board but in the case of layoffs held their company seniority.

lilrider, at 153 we work mostly nights, we are very busy and ot is more plentiful than most would like. there is little to no equiptment maintenance. there is always some drama between call board and company and no one really understands fully the local cartage contract, and there are painful moments when some of these contractual issue things are worked out or inflicted on us or the company. we have little union representation, and no-one can get a straight answer from the union on any issue.
situation normal except for the night work.

Cross over.... bull. make up your mind what type of employee you want to be, road or dock/ city. then apply for that job. if you are one and want to be the other QUIT, and re-hire just like anyone else off the street.

It seems real good to some to work 40 hrs. a week , go home every night , have the family activities, sports, lake, ballgames. then after you get your kids raised, "crossover" to the road. I guess there are no more drivers out there with 10 -20 years EXPERIENCE. ..........whatever. :realmad:

Riobard said:
When sleepers started at Chicago Heights in "94 many crossed over from the dock. They went to the bottom of the road board but in the case of layoffs held their company seniority.
That is different then it is here in St. Louis. When you transfer from one board to the other you go to the bottom of the board. When it comes to layoff they start at the bottom of the board regardless of your company seniority.

They are training yard guys at our terminal (830). And have plans for many more. Should be comming to a terminal near you too. Union likes the idea of a way for teamsters to improve their classification if they want, and great for Co. because of the shortage of drivers. I have been able to help in the training a couple times and the yard guys are excited about going to P&D.

Just another way to eliminate the yard classification. Hell At some point it will eliminate all positions. Be just one lump some of dock/yard/city/road men. You come in and find out what the hell your doing that day. Start out on the dock, then run to a terminal and work the dock again. Hmmm sounds like some company I know.