XPO | CDL training

highspeeds

ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY
Credits
http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release...ning-and-fulltime-career-paths-20170524-00635

Well, we want to get rid of the old drivers and we can't seem to hire any new ones.... so we will train you ! Said every trucking company ever.

It's okay. Between death, retirement and attrition. XPO LTL will very quickly morph itself into whatever it is meant to be.

So many people going to OD. How the hell can OD be this busy to be hiring all these drivers ?

Crazy times in trucking. More mergers and acquisitions coming. It's almost like 2008 all over again.

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release...ning-and-fulltime-career-paths-20170524-00635

Well, we want to get rid of the old drivers and we can't seem to hire any new ones.... so we will train you ! Said every trucking company ever.

It's okay. Between death, retirement and attrition. XPO LTL will very quickly morph itself into whatever it is meant to be.

So many people going to OD. How the hell can OD be this busy to be hiring all these drivers ?

Crazy times in trucking. More mergers and acquisitions coming. It's almost like 2008 all over again.
The article does not say how long you are indentured to XPO for the training.

I wonder to Highspeeds, I have heard that it has been said by one of the big Cheeze "s in the Trucking industry that the one with the most people wins. That person is creditable as they have weather many storms. My company is always hiring somewhere.

Why would anyone want to waste their time with them when they're is so many better opportunities . Don't they get it most of us have steered our kids away from this industry. Snow flakes want no part of this. Working 70 hours a week or working nights have gone out of style. All they have left is us poor sole's to finish off until we can not go anymore. Then this industry is up S *#¢ Creek.

They've been doing the current generation of the driving school for a while now- I think it's been close to 10 years or so. According to Ann Arbor, most of them stay beyond the required time and they have better safety records than experienced new hires. Based on some of the nuts we've hired off the street in the last few years at our place, if I had a choice I'd probably take a chance on students, too.

Why would anyone want to waste their time with them when they're is so many better opportunities .

There really aren't a lot of opportunities that will pay this well, with these benefits, with no degree and a few months of training.

Snow flakes want no part of this. Working 70 hours a week or working nights have gone out of style. All they have left is us poor sole's to finish off until we can not go anymore. Then this industry is up S *#¢ Creek.

I hate to break it to you, but that's just the old "these young kids aren't as tough as us" routine. Every generation has its tough guys and its snowflakes, even yours. LTL trucking will survive after all of you badasses retire, I promise.

So this is the same thing Con-way was doing. I have a few at my barn that went to the school and are still there today. I was told back then you had to stay 2yrs

Why would anyone want to waste their time with them when they're is so many better opportunities . Don't they get it most of us have steered our kids away from this industry. Snow flakes want no part of this. Working 70 hours a week or working nights have gone out of style. All they have left is us poor sole's to finish off until we can not go anymore. Then this industry is up S *#¢ Creek.
Don't know what your talking about I have yet seen anyone force to work no were near 70hrs at my barn unless they want to. Average working week is around 50 - 55 and these young kids are making 65k+.

No the industry executives have a solid plan.When NO more red blooded Americans will doit , they will cry to Congress for special work visas for foreign workers.LESS MONEY AND MAYBE MORE CONTENT WORKERS

There really aren't a lot of opportunities that will pay this well, with these benefits, with no degree and a few months of training.

Just to add to this, you're (most likely, not sure about XPO) getting paid while attending the few weeks of class. Would you prefer to make a few thousand while getting your CDL, or spend a few thousand to get one?

Another thing is having guaranteed employment (whatever it may be) after getting your CDL. Good luck getting into an LTL company with no experience and no current history with the company.

It's a pretty sweet deal for someone with no experience to make a decent living.

Just to add to this, you're (most likely, not sure about XPO) getting paid while attending the few weeks of class. Would you prefer to make a few thousand while getting your CDL, or spend a few thousand to get one?

Another thing is having guaranteed employment (whatever it may be) after getting your CDL. Good luck getting into an LTL company with no experience and no current history with the company.

It's a pretty sweet deal for someone with no experience to make a decent living.
You have made some accurate statements. However, I will say that lately XPO has hired two at my SIC and waived the haz-mat endorsement on the condition that it was obtained shortly after starting to work. That's pretty much hiring whatever you can get in my book.

The drivers that have worked at XPO/Con-way for any length of time understand that it's a good job BUT they also understand that a LOT of trade-offs have been made to get to this point.

At this point in time information moves fast ( social media ) and TM doubletalk is easily researched and revealed for what it is: lies.

Most drivers will tell the truth in vivid detail to a potential employee - THE TRUTH - what kind of truck will you have to drive , how many hours will you work , when will you work those hours , will you have to work the dock , vacation time availability...these are some of the key issues that get exaggerated and twisted by management to get drivers to come ( and when something isn't what was told to them ) they leave.

W
The drivers that have worked at XPO/Con-way for any length of time understand that it's a good job BUT they also understand that a LOT of trade-offs have been made to get to this point.

At this point in time information moves fast ( social media ) and TM doubletalk is easily researched and revealed for what it is: lies.

Most drivers will tell the truth in vivid detail to a potential employee - THE TRUTH - what kind of truck will you have to drive , how many hours will you work , when will you work those hours , will you have to work the dock , vacation time availability...these are some of the key issues that get exaggerated and twisted by management to get drivers to come ( and when something isn't what was told to them ) they leave.
when I asked those questions when I was hired, the personnel supervisor that hired me said, "I don't know, I don't have a crystal ball"! I still hear that phrase tossed around now and then in the break room.

You have made some accurate statements. However, I will say that lately XPO has hired two at my SIC and waived the haz-mat endorsement on the condition that it was obtained shortly after starting to work. That's pretty much hiring whatever you can get in my book.
We had a driver go through the training, get his cdl, but was fired (or quit) because he was not able to get his haz-mat (for whatever reason). I don't believe he had to pay anything back for the training.

We had a driver go through the training, get his cdl, but was fired (or quit) because he was not able to get his haz-mat (for whatever reason). I don't believe he had to pay anything back for the training.
In the cases where a person is hired and they do not have a hazmat endorsement , a small amount of time ( not sure how long until they have to have hazmat endorsement ) is given to the new hire to gain their hazmat endorsement. If the driver does not get the endorsement in the required time , see ya' , goodbye.

In the cases where a person is hired and they do not have a hazmat endorsement , a small amount of time ( not sure how long until they have to have hazmat endorsement ) is given to the new hire to gain their hazmat endorsement. If the driver does not get the endorsement in the required time , see ya' , goodbye.
At least there is only a minimal investment in your example.

I know FedEx does it in fact I don't think they hire drivers, at least in my area, they only hire driver trainees. They get them working on the dock then go through the training. The barn in my area has them in a jockey truck for like 3 months after they get there cdl before they go on the street.

If I remember correctly they hire you on and you have 90days from the first day you start to get the hazmat endorsement or they cut you lose