XPO | CDL training

Said every preceding generation ever. Remember the line from Genesis? "And Adam did say unto Eve, "Godd***ed snowflakes don't want to work like we did.""
I agree with Gene there are plenty of young people that are willing to work hard it's just not economically attractive to them any longer to chose this as a career . You have to work 60 hours a week just to make a middle class income and no retirement.

Last edited:
I agree with Gene there are plenty of young people that are willing to work hard it's just not economically attractive to them any longer to chose this as a career.

I think it is economically attractive - I think we've done a great job of making it out to be a job that's beneath people, at any price. I love this job. I would be fine with my kids doing this job. I make more than many of my friends with multiple college degrees and I enjoy doing the work every day.

You have to work 60 hours a week just to make a middle class income and no retirement.
A middle class income is mid 50's for the household- I easily make more than that by myself in the city and I can't tell you the last time I worked 60 hours.

Seems like a good deal.

I agree with Gene there are plenty of young people that are willing to work hard it's just not economically attractive to them any longer to chose this as a career . You have to work 60 hours a week just to make a middle class income and no retirement.
Damm if I worked 60hrs a week for 52 weeks I would have made around 75k.

Why is there a shortage of Truck Driver's then??
Is there or isn't there a driver shortage? Just because trucking companies have trucks sitting in there yard without a drive to put in doesn't mean there is a driver shortage. That what a lot of companies use for stats.

I think it is economically attractive - I think we've done a great job of making it out to be a job that's beneath people, at any price. I love this job. I would be fine with my kids doing this job. I make more than many of my friends with multiple college degrees and I enjoy doing the work every day.

A middle class income is mid 50's for the household- I easily make more than that by myself in the city and I can't tell you the last time I worked 60 hours.

Seems like a good deal.

Loving the job and it being economically attractive are two very different thoughts.

Middle class income is much higher than 50K, that's what the median household income is. Which is offensive given the cost of living. No wonder the country is going bankrupt.

Is there or isn't there a driver shortage? Just because trucking companies have trucks sitting in there yard without a drive to put in doesn't mean there is a driver shortage. That what a lot of companies use for stats.

So I guess they should just sell off a few trucks and then there wouldn't be a shortage any more ?

So I guess they should just sell off a few trucks and then there wouldn't be a shortage any more ?
Oh come on Highspeeds, some of the trucks can't be given away. But , you make a good point...

Honestly , there's a truck that someone bought about 5 months ago and they won't come get it.

What post did you reply to Von?
The one on wages. I did the math & about 10 to 12 grand depending on the wage difference between union & non union. Based on 60 hour week & OT or not around 12 grand a year. And I did not even mention what union versus non union pays for medical expenses by the end of the year. Under a CBA you almost always are ahead versus without a CBA. The big difference between ABF union employees and non-union is the beneits, med, retire & working rules & conditions. I know ABF Freight is one of the last big union trucking outfits. But whatever happens I would ride it until it derailed. LTL freight employment is like a Gypsy, always on the move & changing. Get the biggest buck for your Labor while you can. That is why we choose where to work, for the money, not for the atta boy. von.

Last edited:
I did over 65k in the city last year without even trying
Sounds about right. The work is there. As long as they pay you OT after 40. Anything less & I don't work for them. I turned down a lot of OT. 5 to 8 hours of OT were enough for me. I could work 20 OT hours every week but chose not to. I wanted to be alive to spend it. von.

Was chatting with an XPO driver at a stop today, she mentioned that the students have a fee garnished from their check to (help?) cover the training. IF true, anyone hear or know how much it is?