Celtic Classic

USGames.jpg

58b82b771cfbc317860e74f70bc3dbb4.jpg

Haggis is sort of like PA Dutch scrapple...but with better parts...heart, liver and stuff like that instead of just scraps....I've had really good stuff...then I had some which had an overpowering taste of sage which I didn't like....Goofy clip but it has a rowdy crowd. Fun stuff.

Haggis is sort of like PA Dutch scrapple...but with better parts...heart, liver and stuff like that instead of just scraps....I've had really good stuff...then I had some which had an overpowering taste of sage which I didn't like....Goofy clip but it has a rowdy crowd. Fun stuff.
i can't say i ever had haggis, but i have had scrapple, i think around the DE/MD area???

i kinda liked it. can haggis be found in grocery stores?

i just did a very quick search, seems its "like" a sausage?

i can't say i ever had haggis, but i have had scrapple, i think around the DE/MD area???

i kinda liked it. can haggis be found in grocery stores?

i just did a very quick search, seems its "like" a sausage?
It's good stuff. I just got back from the fest and had some.....it's sheep stomach and stuff maybe liver and heart and stuff...I saw some stuff on youtube about it( we wouldn't like to see the making of scrapple...and I don't think haggis would be any better)..I think it isn't sold at very many places. There may be some kind of legalities involved in getting it..I did buy some frozen haggis once imported from Scottland...but didn't like it because it had too much of a sage flavor...No sage flavor in the stuff I had today. Just the flavor of the meats....

.I bought some at an Irish store in Bethlehem where this festival is at.....actually I delivered a big display case there and after talking with the owners....they gave me a really great deal on it.
https://donegalsquare.com/
Here it is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis
A traditional haggis recipe describes haggis as "sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally encased in the animal's stomach and boiled". Ingredients are sheep stomach, heart and lungs of one lamb, onions, oatmeal, salt, pepper, stock, and water, with optional ingredients dried coriander, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It can be boiled, baked, or deep fried.[

Bought prepared at this fest today it looked like this:
th

Bought frozen it looked like this:
haggis-camerons-whole.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting read...It's actually banned here because authentic haggis uses sheeps lungs...lungs are illegal here....so maybe what we can get is not authentic...or there may be special permission given?
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21128089
Traditional Scottish haggis is banned in the United States. With Burns Night looming, how do fans satisfy their taste for oatmeal and offal?

For aficionados, it is the "great chieftain o' the pudding-race".

To sceptics, however, it is a gruesome mush of sheep's innards - and for decades American authorities have agreed.

Authentic Scottish haggis has been banned in the United States since 1971, when the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) first took a dim view of one of its key ingredients - sheep's lung.

While millions of people around the world will enjoy, or endure, a Burns Night helping on 25 January, those in the US who want to celebrate Scotland's national bard in the traditional manner are compelled to improvise.

We're lucky if some of them take more than a mouthful
Haggis fan Jim Short in LaGrange, Georgia
Some choose to stage offal-free Burns suppers, and for most people not raised in Scotland, the absence of the dish - comprising sheep's "pluck" (heart, liver and lungs) minced with onion, oatmeal, suet and spices, all soaked in stock and then boiled in either a sausage casing or a sheep's stomach - might be no great hardship.

But for many expat Scots and Scots-Americans, the notion of Burns Supper without haggis is as unthinkable as Thanksgiving without turkey.