central-sefl merger???

Discussion in 'Southeastern Freight Lines' started by imported_rooster, Oct 20, 2006.

1. imported_rooster

imported_rooster Member

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

2. imported_top dawg

imported_top dawg Member

As bad a shape as central is in financially, I cannot see a solvent profitable company hooking up with them in any way.

3. backstrap

backstrap Member

watch central when viking bought out spartan-coles-central and then viking closed the doors central some how backed out and kept there doors open.

4. jimmyjoe (jj)

jimmyjoe (jj) Member

I believe it was Roadway that owned all of these comoanies. And decided to put them all together. Coles, and Spartan went by the wayside and Viking, and Central kept going.

5. CFer

CFer Active Member

JimJoe, If there were not a management buyout of Central, they would have been closed also.

Viking was the only company that Caliber Systems(formerly a Roadway company) was going to keep open

6. backstrap

backstrap Member

roadway never owned VIKING and when viking did what they did to spartan and coles roadway had already sold spartan.

7. CFer

CFer Active Member

10 speed,

Viking was owned by Roadway at one point.

Coles, Spartan, Viking and Central were all under the Caliber Systems unbrella which was owned by Roadway Corp before being spun off into a public company.

Also, It was Caliber that closed Spartan and Coles and JimJoe(JJ) is correct. If not for the management buyout of Central, They were going to be closed by Caliber also.

8. jimmyjoe (jj)

jimmyjoe (jj) Member

CFer I am glad that someone agrees with me sometime's!!

9. R686ST

R686ST New Member

From what I understand from a friend of mine who used to work for Central, they literally came within hours of closing down.

10. backstrap

backstrap Member

Jim Joe Roadway Owned Spartan But It Was After Roadway Sold Spartan That All These Purchases Was Made,,,,,,,,, It Was Roadway Than Caliber Systems Than Viking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

11. ODFL4LIFE

ODFL4LIFE Member

CENTRAL WAS BOUGHT BY A GROUP OF INVESTERS THAT IS WHY THEY WHERE KEEP OPEN. THIS ALL TOOK PLACE AFTER VIKING ALMOST WENT UNDER. CLICK THE LINK AND READ THE COMPANY HISTORY!!!!!!!

Central Freight Lines

1997 — On June 30th, an investment group led by a group of senior Central management purchases the former Central Freight Lines from Viking Freight.

:smilie_132: KEVIN

12. easttnhillbilly

easttnhillbilly Active Member

had a defl driver say that dhl had bout sefl any truth or was driver just hoping or spreading rumor

13. imported_top dawg

imported_top dawg Member

14. memphis97

memphis97 Member

My understanding was that FED EX bought Caliber Systems,which included Viking Freight,Coles Express,Spartan Express,Central Freight and Roadway Package Service.At that point they turned RPS into FED EX Ground,shut down Spartan and Coles then sold Central to a group that included some of Central's former owners.They held on to the part that consisted of the old Viking Freight System.Eventually they bought American Freightways and merged Viking and AF into what is now Fed Ex Freight.I was a driver for Spartan in Memphis at the time of the shutdown(3-28-97) :sadwavey:

15. ODFL4LIFE

ODFL4LIFE Member

read the history of central is was a group of investers i think that keep them going after the hole thing with viking. if everyone remembers after all that happen viking and central were the only ones left running

Central Freight Lines

1996 — Central becomes the Southwestern Division of Viking Freight, Inc.

1997 — On June 30th, an investment group led by a group of senior Central management purchases the former Central Freight Lines from Viking Freight.

16. ODFL4LIFE

ODFL4LIFE Member

spreading a rumor!!! i have heard that they wanted to buy us as well ODFL that is!! best thing to do is not to listen to rumers justwait and see what happens is the best thing to do! truck driver are worse then old women getting there hair done when comes to gossip i should know i am truck driver too