ABF | Central States Drops Pension Cut Bomb

I suppose that if I vouch for Brother ABFer and his active Unionism,...,.that will be viewed as a conspiracy... Oh, well.....I've been accused of worse,.........besides, outside of our friendship, I don't think Bro. ABFer wants me to fight his battles for him,,..I'm well aware he can do that on his own...But here goes.......Many of us are proud of our Union,....but deeply disappointed with our.......uh....."leadership",.....so,..many of us are working actively to try and take our Union back. But,......as any good general will tell you,....you need troops to follow you into battle. As a steward, I'm frustrated by many member's attitude. The idea of:"What's the use, you'll get nowhere." is playing right into the hands of our...." leadership ". That personally offends me.....If you're paying dues, you might as well get your moneys' worth,...and fight back. I just filed two grievances on Art.12,.....uniform policy,.... that went off like a stink bomb in a convent,.....I had filed two grievances over whether Holidays are voluntary, or could be forced,... partial victory,....guys paid properly, retained the right to grieve same issue in the future,.......No backing from the IBT on either issue,..,..luckily I have very good Local representatives..Keep fighting and doni give up.That's what they want.

I believe that by you coming to abfers defense is in no way a conspiracy, as a matter of fact, I find it highly commendable in a time where solidarity is a rare commodity seen in our union. Times sure have changed from the good old days where solidarity was a given and one could rest assured that most brothers would have their back. Its just that my intuition questions his strength of character from our brief interaction and what I read of his posts thus far. For arguments sake, I hope that you are right and I am mistaken but I wouldnt be counting on a man too much if the going gets rough who came right out and admitted that he only picks the fights that he knows he will win.But Im sure you already know that because I find that your words and actions hold credence when posting which leads me to believe only came by many years in this union fighting the fight that most seem to care less about these days and realizing just how many lose the will to fight once threats and fear start to spread. I feel your frustartion fighting for those that refuse to stand up for themselves and refusing to back down even when those members are no longer willing to stand with you and give in instead of facing those threats and fear and that sir, I applaud. So please, keep on fighting the good fight because we need many more like you in the brotherhood if theres even a remote chance for the future of our union to bear any resemblance at all to that of the past. Even if many of the members submit to threats and their own fears or are ignorant to that fact that its a neverending fight. Its so much easier to just to go on hoping and relying that our leadership changes in 2016 or miraculously wake up and start acting on whats in members best interests instead of the companies or their own.
I have to ask if you wouldnt mind sharing the details of that grievance you filed on article 12 of the abf nmfa. I understand that abf recently implemented a mandatory uniform policy and the company now has the added expense of providing and maintaining such uniforms free of charge but doesnt abf have a profit-sharing bonus in effect?

I filed a grievance over a year ago on converting TimeKeeper revenues to Panther. Last I hear it was so serious an issue that it was in Hoffa's hands. I really don't expect to hear any more. Maybe nounionfool can give me guidance on my next step?

I have no further advice to give seeing that you have filed a grievance over a year ago against the company and knowing how upset the international must of been over that. In fact, the way you went about it all really showed them and leaves me speechless.

You don't have an intelligent or coherent thing to say. I'm done with you.
I have no further advice to give seeing that you have filed a grievance over a year ago against the company and knowing how upset the international must of been over that. In fact, the way you went about it all really showed them and leaves me speechless.

The grievances were filed 4/20/15 on Art.12. The first was on use of a non -Union vendor, in this case, Cintas. The contract says a Union vendor "if possible". Of course it' " possible "......in 5 minutes we came up with 6 Union vendors, including Aramark, who had an account with ABF at one time. The use second one is on whether city drivers only get uniforms. Art. 12 doesn't delineate between classifications,..... ABF's uniform policy does, though. You can't give one group a benefit, and not give that same benefit out unilaterally. That's how ABF got around that with their old uniform policy. They claimed it was a " gift", same as a safety award, so they could give them out to whomever they wanted,......or not. Well, this is Art. 12. Time to follow the contract. And, yes,... there is the issue of non-operational spending that affects our bonus. That will have to be addressed.

The grievances were filed 4/20/15 on Art.12. The first was on use of a non -Union vendor, in this case, Cintas. The contract says a Union vendor "if possible". Of course it' " possible "......in 5 minutes we came up with 6 Union vendors, including Aramark, who had an account with ABF at one time. The use second one is on whether city drivers only get uniforms. Art. 12 doesn't delineate between classifications,..... ABF's uniform policy does, though. You can't give one group a benefit, and not give that same benefit out unilaterally. That's how ABF got around that with their old uniform policy. They claimed it was a " gift", same as a safety award, so they could give them out to whomever they wanted,......or not. Well, this is Art. 12. Time to follow the contract. And, yes,... there is the issue of non-operational spending that affects our bonus. That will have to be addressed.

Thank you for the courteous reply and I now see how this is unsettling to the drivers at abf as I know cintas well, the international not only let them get away with choosing non union when union was availible but adding insult when going that extra mile in selecting one of the most anti union companies around. One more thing comes to mind since you brought up the fact that they can't give one group a benefit and not give that same benefit out unilaterally which I assume someone somewhere will or already has filed a grievance on that mou regarding the casual wage increase using the same language.

You don't have an intelligent or coherent thing to say. I'm done with you.

You may be right but one has to always interact on the same mental capacity as those he is communicating with. Oh, now you are done with me after realizing I wasn't such an easy target as you thought. Whats the matter, didnt lift your confidence like you planned by trying to take advantage and embarrass someone just because they are new to this forum? I dont see why you are so concerned anyway, if you were to embarrass yourself again, the posts can always be deleted like they were on the yrc thread. As a matter of fact Im surprised that our posts on this thread werent deleted too but maybe I shouldnt speak prematurely because the day is still young.

Great job canarinthemine please do keep us posted.
Thanks, Brother, I certainly will. Some of the other terminals in W. Pa. are filing grievances, too. Exercising our solidarity, as it were. That way they don't think it's just one irritating pest, and both the IBT and ABF will have to take this issue seriously.

Hp2rIuJ.jpg