Holland | Central States Drops Pension Cut Bomb

Depends on the value you put in stability,especially when comparing them to YRC companies.Its mostly a mentality issue,though.You guys like what you have and we like what we have.Neither is gonna be 100% satisfied but I dont think union or non-union guys are knocking the door down to try to change to the other.I make .60 a mile with good benefits and a matching 401K.I would like to make hourly pay too,but not enough to leave where im at.
What stability is there at the bottom of the board? No layoffs just starveouts so their UE ins doesn't go up. For everybody that is happy at any company there is somebody that is unhappy.

[SpotE="a9faninnc, post: 938151, member: 34"]Depends on the value you put in stability,especially when comparing them to YRC companies.Its mostly a mentality issue,though.You guys like what you have and we like what we have.Neither is gonna be 100% satisfied but I dont think union or non-union guys are knocking the door down to try to change to the other.I make .60 a mile with good benefits and a matching 401K.I would like to make hourly pay too,but not enough to leave where im at.[/QUOTE]

Spot on.The person with the best job is the person who is thankful for his job and content with it.
If one is miserable and bitchen all the time, his or her job sucks.Most of those people are ingrates and miserable by nature.

When you figure in the total compensation package name a non-union company that makes more.
The Union companies have better insurance and that's where it ends. And since most Teamsters will either receive a reduced pension, or no pension, any non-union driver that gets even 1% put into a 401k from their company is better off than having a worthless pension. And when it comes to the insurance issue, there are non union companies where the insurance is easily covered by the higher pay that they receive.
Face it, the Union no longer has a good product to sell.

The Union companies have better insurance and that's where it ends. And since most Teamsters will either receive a reduced pension, or no pension, any non-union driver that gets even 1% put into a 401k from their company is better off than having a worthless pension. And when it comes to the insurance issue, there are non union companies where the insurance is easily covered by the higher pay that they receive.
Face it, the Union no longer has a good product to sell.
With a reduced pension, and that's CSPF, it is still more than what a non-union driver gets, and they don't pay for it You're right about the Teamsters having better insurance but what you forgot is that Teamsters don't pay for theirs. All things considered I stand by what I posted earlier, name one non-union ltl driver that makes what a union driver makes.Face it, the non-unions don't have a good product to sell.

. ask a pipeline teamster, or a movie teamster, or a carhaul teamster if he thinks the union has a poor product to sell. it sells itself, as long as the workers don't turn their back on it.

Since we are on the Holland forum, I assumed that we were talking about the LTL Teamsters. Shame on me.

And by the time I'm old enough to collect my pension, at the rate we're going, there will be NO pension money for me.
My pension.......zero.
Non-union pension.....zero.

There are non-union line haul drivers making over 100K per year. And with the concessions,(15%) the Teamsters line haul drivers are at or under 90K per year. The nons 10K more in pay easily covers their insurance cost.

I remember back when there couldn't even be a conversation over who had the better package. Us Union members were so far ahead that it wasn't even up for debate. Times have changed unfortunately.
That's why I'd like to kick Hoffa in the bag.

I hear ya, im just saying that a lot of the problems have been the nons not JOINING the union, undercutting wages and benefits for a long time, so this is what we end up with. if they would become more realistic about the CURRENT workforce at YRC and ABF, I think our pay could be a LOT better.

So im new to the union idea..

How do you get the pension cuts and 15% back?

Im not real smart but if yrc closed all their companies locked the gates. That freight will still need moved and other carriers will be hiring bc they will be short 1000's of drivers.

Now would this be good or bad with one less union carrier? Do non unions lower pay? Other teamsters raise pay? Idk but could be interesting.

So im new to the union idea..

How do you get the pension cuts and 15% back?

Im not real smart but if yrc closed all their companies locked the gates. That freight will still need moved and other carriers will be hiring bc they will be short 1000's of drivers.

Now would this be good or bad with one less union carrier? Do non unions lower pay? Other teamsters raise pay? Idk but could be interesting.
What you need is more people paying into the fund. To get that, ltl unions needs to get market share back so they can hire enough drivers. How will you do that? Here locally holland is trying to hire drivers but they can't find any that are worth hiring. The good ones go where they see a future. It's not a slam holland drivers, but rather a reflection of the state of ltl unions. i put in an application with abf a year ago, but when they told me I'd have to work part time first with no benefits I said no way. A wife and kids have to have benefit coverage. Hard to get good drivers that way. Difficult questions to answer. Either turn non union carriers into Union carriers or make the present Union carriers drop pay enough to drop prices to get business.

Ok how do you get the 15% back?

And how about trading the 25% pension for more wages or matching 401k?

With wages you can put into your own mutual funds or ira but miss iut on that company match