Yellow | Central States Pension Fund Benefit Reduction Letter!

Does anyone know is there a place on the internet to go and look at the past history of the Central States funds amounts and investment results from the past say ten years. Is there some way of doing the research and find out if it has had a reasonable return on investment and it really is just too many retired guys for the amount of guys that are paying in?
I do not believe that information will be made public. I don't know how far back you can request but for a fee you can get that information from them. A full accounting of what they did and when on an annual basis.

Where did you get that number? Would like to read the article
First go and read the law. CS, or any other fund, that requests relief is only required to show a 50% chance that the propoesed plan will suceed. Then if you read the actuary report that Sue Mauren had done he states the figure is actually is 50.4% for our fund.

I do not believe that information will be made public. I don't know how far back you can request but for a fee you can get that information from them. A full accounting of what they did and when on an annual basis.
Go to the Form 5500 reports. They will give you all the info you want.

Does anyone know is there a place on the internet to go and look at the past history of the Central States funds amounts and investment results from the past say ten years. Is there some way of doing the research and find out if it has had a reasonable return on investment and it really is just too many retired guys for the amount of guys that are paying in?
Treasury website for Form 5500 will give you all the info you want.

Central States web site contains the Independent Special Counsel Reports. There are 28 reports dating back to 2008 from the Independent Counsel. These reports are made to the Federal Court from the Independent Counsel charged with oversight of the Fund. These reports not only show the investment returns but compare them with peer averages. They can be found under a link titled Forms And Documents. Hope this helps.

Central States web site contains the Independent Special Counsel Reports. There are 28 reports dating back to 2008 from the Independent Counsel. These reports are made to the Federal Court from the Independent Counsel charged with oversight of the Fund. These reports not only show the investment returns but compare them with peer averages. They can be found under a link titled Forms And Documents. Hope this helps.
That is exactly what I was looking for, I was looking at the fourth quarter results for several years and the numbers look pretty good. Maybe someone with a little more investing knowledge could take a look and give their thoughts. Looking at those investment numbers it makes you think that their story that there are just too many retired guys for the number of guys working might be true?

That is exactly what I was looking for, I was looking at the fourth quarter results for several years and the numbers look pretty good. Maybe someone with a little more investing knowledge could take a look and give their thoughts. Looking at those investment numbers it makes you think that their story that there are just too many retired guys for the number of guys working might be true?
In 2004 I served on a pension committe in Atlanta Ga. We looked at the history of CS and the future. It was evident from what we found that if the decline of actives continued, the pension fund as it was operating could not continue. We could not, of course, tell when it would become unsustainable but it was evident that something had to change. Unfortunately time has run out and changes have to be made.

In 2004 I served on a pension committe in Atlanta Ga. We looked at the history of CS and the future. It was evident from what we found that if the decline of actives continued, the pension fund as it was operating could not continue. We could not, of course, tell when it would become unsustainable but it was evident that something had to change. Unfortunately time has run out and changes have to be made.
So they knew for a long time but just waited till it was at a critical stage to do anything about it. What do you think was there anything criminal involved or was it just a case of the numbers just don't add up.

In my humble opinion, we, the rank and file Teamster participants of the CSPF, are being asked by our employers to balance their books on the backs of the active and now retired participants of the Fund. The CSPF trustees have capped ABF's contribution, and lowered the contribution for YRCW companies to supposedly "keep their doors open" all why telling us that the Fund is in big trouble. And those are just two of the employers that we know about! And don't forget the Kroger deal too! WTF! Will the CSPF ever be investigated? Stay tuned!

:6817:
You are way off track, the issue is not the employers that are still paying into the fund like YRCW and ABF
The issue are the companies not went out of business and didn't pay their unfunded liability. The teamsters lack of organizing any new companies that joined the fund, along with the huge number of retirees the last 10-15 years

So they knew for a long time but just waited till it was at a critical stage to do anything about it. What do you think was there anything criminal involved or was it just a case of the numbers just don't add up.
In my opinion it wasn't anything criminal. I never did like the fact that the Court (due to the 1982 Consent Decree) took the investment decisions out of the trustees hands and gave it to the Judge who oversaw CS. Either way, trustees or the Court, the money would still had been invested in Wall Street. Add to that the Active's base was declining and there was less principal to invest eventually caught up with us.

As much as I hate this pension cut and the fact that Nyhan and company will not be taking any cuts for their part or lack there of. I am going to turn around and tell you this. If Nyhan could have cut us back in 99 or 2000, he would have. He actually asked for it. The law ERISA kept him from doing that. When he helped Craft the legislation and with he help of two self helping congressmen,( one retired as fast as he could after it passed ) plus your President passing this in the mist of the night. Now, you now have your cuts. He wanted them, ask for them time after time, received them. We all hate it, however it may be for the best. We still hate it and I will say this again and again, we were the test case. 1400 more plans are watching and some have already applied. Changes may be made, small ones to make it better. The Cuts will happen and we had better get ready. I have, Have you? This adjustment will not be easy, it took me five months to get things done and moved around. If you wait till July 1, 2016. You will fail. God bless you all.

There was not much the Fund could do about it. The anti cutback provision of ERISA (Employee Retirement Income Security Act) did not allow for pensions already in pay status to be reduced nor did it allow for a reduction of the accrued vested amount for actives. The Fund did made a reduction in the accrual rate a few years ago from 2 percent but that only applied to new contributions going forward. The amount you had already accrued at 2 percent up to the date of the reduction remained untouched. The Pension Protection Act (PPA) Of 2006 did allowed for a reduction of pensions in pay status for those who retired after the date the Fund was declared to have entered "Critical Status" also known as the "Red Zone" but still did not allow for a reduction for pensions already in pay status before the Fund entered "Critical Status". Central States never used that provision simply because it would not have been enough of a savings to change anything. All the time this was happening the number of contributing employers and active participants continued to decline. Now we have MPRA and as we can all see it has brought about huge changes to both ERISA and the PPA.

As much as I hate this pension cut and the fact that Nyhan and company will not be taking any cuts for their part or lack there of. I am going to turn around and tell you this. If Nyhan could have cut us back in 99 or 2000, he would have. He actually asked for it. The law ERISA kept him from doing that. When he helped Craft the legislation and with he help of two self helping congressmen,( one retired as fast as he could after it passed ) plus your President passing this in the mist of the night. Now, you now have your cuts. He wanted them, ask for them time after time, received them. We all hate it, however it may be for the best. We still hate it and I will say this again and again, we were the test case. 1400 more plans are watching and some have already applied. Changes may be made, small ones to make it better. The Cuts will happen and we had better get ready. I have, Have you? This adjustment will not be easy, it took me five months to get things done and moved around. If you wait till July 1, 2016. You will fail. God bless you all.
Well Hello ESP. Haven't heard from you all weekend. I was drafting my two cents worth and your reply popped up. Looks like we're basically on the same page.

Good stuff, thanks for the information!

Until MPRA, they weren't allowed to.

Reactions: ESP